ka1ks0w
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

Im planning to apply at LSE in 2021. It's common knowledge that LSE has one of the lowest student satisfaction scores in the UK, but is it actually justified? I want to know because, although I really enjoy economics, I'm not willing to sacrafice 3 years of my youth to study at a place I wont enjoy being at.

I'll be applying to study international social and public policy and economics, which has a 65% student satisfaction score. If the course experience truly is that bad, I dont think it would be appropriate for me to waste a choice on it.

Of course I wouldnt know if that is the case - so I hope someone reading this can tell me a bit about the uni.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE student satisfaction scores have been improving but the scores don't tell you everything. University is an important part of your life and as you put it 3 years of your youth. You need to consider your personality. Are you the type who makes friends easily, look for new things to do, not to introverted? LSE and London can be intimidating and a challenge to some. For those who look forward to challenges, then you should be able to enjoy LSE. Otherwise, a university with a more collegiate environment may be better. Hope that helps.
chaoyangtea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got the exact same question. Thinking of doing History (or another subject like Geography) at LSE, but it looks quite scary and oppressive. Unlike universities in smaller cities, LSE has a distinctly urban (and oppressive) feel. Universities like Oxford and Cambridge look like they'll challenge people hard while you'll be able to have a bit of fun on the side, but LSE and the city of London it's in look like they won't pull any punches.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chaoyangtea)
Got the exact same question. Thinking of doing History (or another subject like Geography) at LSE, but it looks quite scary and oppressive. Unlike universities in smaller cities, LSE has a distinctly urban (and oppressive) feel. Universities like Oxford and Cambridge look like they'll challenge people hard while you'll be able to have a bit of fun on the side, but LSE and the city of London it's in look like they won't pull any punches.
Thousands of students study in London universities every year - UCL, LSE, KCL, Imperial etc. Many if not most find studying in London enjoyable and I know of those who have no regrets being in London instead of Oxford or Cambridge. It is not as bad as some people put it. Unless you are not the type. LSE is not oppressive, just different. London is full of attractions too. Living in a small city can be boring too.
ka1ks0w
Rep:
?
Thanks for your response
Katzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not quite, I myself got into LSE despite getting low grades (luck was on my side, despite not meeting the entry requirement LSE had accidently given me an uncondtional offer which I accepted, they tried to revoke it by "offering" me a discount on a masters' programme but I rejected it so I basically got in doing absolutely nothing lol) but yeah it's pretty cool.
ka1ks0w
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katzen)
Not quite, I myself got into LSE despite getting low grades (luck was on my side, despite not meeting the entry requirement LSE had accidently given me an uncondtional offer which I accepted, they tried to revoke it by "offering" me a discount on a masters' programme but I rejected it so I basically got in doing absolutely nothing lol) but yeah it's pretty cool.
man, please
tsrholicc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Though I haven't personally been to LSE or any London uni, the city itself has a reputation for unhappiness, segregation, gang violence etc. I have been to the city personally as well as other parts of the UK, and I have found these things to be completely true. Teaching at St. Andrews, Oxbridge, Aberdeen, Cardiff, Bath etc. is better, at least at undergraduate levels.

However, you should keep in mind that london unis such as LSE, Imperial and UCL regularly produce better research than Oxbridge. These unis also have about equal or better graduate prospects in today's world.
ka1ks0w
Rep:
?
(Original post by tsrholicc)
Though I haven't personally been to LSE or any London uni, the city itself has a reputation for unhappiness, segregation, gang violence etc. I have been to the city personally as well as other parts of the UK, and I have found these things to be completely true. Teaching at St. Andrews, Oxbridge, Aberdeen, Cardiff, Bath etc. is better, at least at undergraduate levels.

However, you should keep in mind that london unis such as LSE, Imperial and UCL regularly produce better research than Oxbridge. These unis also have about equal or better graduate prospects in today's world.
I guess if I do get accepted ill need to think about the trade-off between my happiness and my career prospects. These are very fun times, indeed.

Thanks for your response
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ka1ks0w)
Hey,

Im planning to apply at LSE in 2021. It's common knowledge that LSE has one of the lowest student satisfaction scores in the UK, but is it actually justified? I want to know because, although I really enjoy economics, I'm not willing to sacrafice 3 years of my youth to study at a place I wont enjoy being at.

I'll be applying to study international social and public policy and economics, which has a 65% student satisfaction score. If the course experience truly is that bad, I dont think it would be appropriate for me to waste a choice on it.

Of course I wouldnt know if that is the case - so I hope someone reading this can tell me a bit about the uni.
yes, their academic student satisfaction scores have improved massively this year, but that doesn't change the social environment - every so often someone pops up on TSR to say how unhappy they are there
Katzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ka1ks0w)
man, please
??? I said LSE is pretty cool for students wdym
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.4%
I'm not sure (59)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.2%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (613)
48.77%

Watched Threads