Want more information about this university?
Emmarspedd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I got an email about choosing a minor, and there is a list of 22 I've got to choose from, how soon do I need to do this I presume before my timetable can be given I'll need to choose - any tips on making the decision - nothing jumped out ...so am busy narrowing it down !
15977emily
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Choose something you're interested in!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Emmarspedd)
I got an email about choosing a minor, and there is a list of 22 I've got to choose from, how soon do I need to do this I presume before my timetable can be given I'll need to choose - any tips on making the decision - nothing jumped out ...so am busy narrowing it down !
Hi @emmaspedd,

It should hopefully say in the email you have been given about when sign-up or enrolment opens. When I had to enrol last year, I didn't have my timetable before making the decision, but the system should warn you if there are any overlapping or clashing subjects. If not, I'd recommend emailing your department to enquire if there is a date it must be done by

In terms of choosing a minor, can I ask the degree course you're studying? There are different ways to choose minors - some people will choose subjects that are similar to their degree, or even an extra module within their degree course, and things that will complement their learning. Others, however, use the opportunity to try something new that they've never had the opportunity to do before.

I study English Lit and Creative Writing and studied Advanced French in my first year, because I knew I wanted to continue from my A-Level studies. Are there any of your A-Level subjects that you'd be interested in pursuing at a higher level? Or are there any subjects that sound really interesting and exciting for you?

Maria
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Emmarspedd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi @emmaspedd,

It should hopefully say in the email you have been given about when sign-up or enrolment opens. When I had to enrol last year, I didn't have my timetable before making the decision, but the system should warn you if there are any overlapping or clashing subjects. If not, I'd recommend emailing your department to enquire if there is a date it must be done by

In terms of choosing a minor, can I ask the degree course you're studying? There are different ways to choose minors - some people will choose subjects that are similar to their degree, or even an extra module within their degree course, and things that will complement their learning. Others, however, use the opportunity to try something new that they've never had the opportunity to do before.

I study English Lit and Creative Writing and studied Advanced French in my first year, because I knew I wanted to continue from my A-Level studies. Are there any of your A-Level subjects that you'd be interested in pursuing at a higher level? Or are there any subjects that sound really interesting and exciting for you?

Maria
Thanks Maria,
I'm doing Computer science
I narrowed down the list, and like you say ended up with one which is totally different to my course ( linguistics) and 4 which are more related, business analysis, data and statistics based, in the end I opted for the related ones just looking forward to getting a timetable and starting now
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Emmarspedd)
Thanks Maria,
I'm doing Computer science
I narrowed down the list, and like you say ended up with one which is totally different to my course ( linguistics) and 4 which are more related, business analysis, data and statistics based, in the end I opted for the related ones just looking forward to getting a timetable and starting now
Hi @Emmarspedd,

I'm glad to hear you've made a decision!

If you've got any other questions about Lancaster, let me know!

Maria
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.12%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.54%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (129)
37.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (35)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
5.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed