The Student Room Group

does anyone know what percentage do we need to get an A for edexcel maths

hello everyone

After a crap xmas report and my predicted grade is lower than what i got last year.

(i have been doing a level maths at a crap college for 2 years where 1 person in 400 gets a C or above, i got Grade C for as maths and D for a level)

I'm now at an independent college and the crap teacher predicted me a Grade D-U, from start of term prediction Grade A to a Grade D-U. Does anyone know what percentage i will need for edexcel maths [as] to get a grade A.

I'm taking C1, M1, S1 in january, i've decided i will not carry on with a level maths and just do as and try n get A. My marks are like:

m1 - 70% ish
s1 - 75% -85% ish
c1?? i dunno, i've done the paper on c1 for revision, is there any other papers of c1 where i can test myself?

cheers.
nas

:tsr:
Reply 1
nas7232
hello everyone

After a crap xmas report and my predicted grade is lower than what i got last year.

(i have been doing a level maths at a crap college for 2 years where 1 person in 400 gets a C or above, i got Grade C for as maths and D for a level)

I'm now at an independent college and the crap teacher predicted me a Grade D-U, from start of term prediction Grade A to a Grade D-U. Does anyone know what percentage i will need for edexcel maths [as] to get a grade A.

I'm taking C1, M1, S1 in january, i've decided i will not carry on with a level maths and just do as and try n get A. My marks are like:

m1 - 70% ish
s1 - 75% -85% ish
c1?? i dunno, i've done the paper on c1 for revision, is there any other papers of c1 where i can test myself?

cheers.
nas

it kinda depends on how hard the exam was on dat day, but generally its 80% for an A in individual modules, and 240/300 (ie an A) for AS Maths overall
Euclid
it kinda depends on how hard the exam was on dat day, but generally its 80% for an A in individual modules, and 240/300 (ie an A) for AS Maths overall

It's always 80% UMS actually, but that wouldn't be the same as 80% raw mark on the exam paper.
Reply 3
http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/modules/examtech.html

Scroll down until you see the details on each individual unit. :smile:

Edit: http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/examadvice.html (for the 2004 specification)
Reply 4
Damn it looks like people generally do better in jan than in june.

I was wondering why isn't it possible to do:

c1 m1 s1
c2 m2 m3

sry it may be a stupid question.
Reply 5
I think with the new specification everyone has to do all the 4 Core modules and then they (or their school/college) gets to choose the other 2 units. I could be wrong though.
Chris87
I think with the new specification everyone has to do all the 4 Core modules and then they (or their school/college) gets to choose the other 2 units. I could be wrong though.

Yes that is right, as I remember my maths teacher talking about it, and the first 4 core modules apparently cover approximately the same material as the first 3 of the 'old' pure modules, which were the compulsory A-level modules.
nas7232
hello everyone

m1 - 70% ish
s1 - 75% -85% ish

cheers.
nas

I think that the actual (ie not scaled) grade boundaries are actually typically lower for S1 than M1, but they are all approximately 80% for an A in the earlier modules, and they were certainly no higher than 85%, though I'm not 100% certain about the new syllabus. Wouldn't think it would be that different.
Reply 8
iluvcheesecake
Yes that is right, as I remember my maths teacher talking about it, and the first 4 core modules apparently cover approximately the same material as the first 3 of the 'old' pure modules, which were the compulsory A-level modules.

Why would they make 4 modules out of 3? Surely that's going to make it easier because there will be less work to do...
I believe they thought the A-level was getting too hard.
Reply 10
i htink the raw mark for an A depdns on how easy the paper is , i htinki t will be 61 or 62 /75 ( just above 80%) for C1, M1 is normally 80 % dunno bout S1. U cant do an AS lvl of C1,M1,S1 can it hast to be C1,C2 , M1 or C1,C2 , S!
Reply 11
Nick Sutcliffe

exactly, edexcel are CONSTANTLY making the a level maths syllabus simpler and simpler.

i mean wots the point? the a level will just lose more value the easier it gets - more and more people will get A's in the subject.

with these 'C' modules, a student only has to do 2 applied units, which can be s1 & m1, or any other '1' modules, whereas before u wud have had to do three.

personally i think its stupid wot deyr doing - before the '2001' spefication, most of p4 (now FP1) was actually in the a level maths syllabus. have a look at the syllabus 10 years ago and compare it with what it is now - ude be suprised. can u imagine wot the syllabus is going to be in 5 years time, probably turn into GCSE standard!!
nas7232
hello everyone

m1 - 70% ish
s1 - 75% -85% ish

cheers.
nas

So do you just find Pure maths very difficult or is it the applied module slike mechanics that cuase you problems? Statistics ain't too bad, apart from the E(X) stuff and so on.

Wow. You were predicted an A grade at the start of the course!!! and now its down do a D - U.

What other subjects are you taking alongside Maths? What subject and university are you considering? There are loads of places in clearing EVERY YEAR for Science and Engineering courses even at soem prestigous universites too. There definately was for Computer Science in summer 2004.

Are you still doing the old specification of P1 etc? Or the new Core stuff?

What will your parents do when or if they foudn out about your progress and your paying several thousands for this retake stuff. :eek:

If you were predicted an A grade I am sure your capable of acheving it if you complete ALL the exercises and especially thr REVIEW quetions and all the past papers you can get your hands on.. even the AQ which are free on their website and OCR too as the content is similiar.

Good luck mate. What did you get at GCSE Maths? How can you go from A grade to D - U in a matter of months!!!. The Core stuff is much more friendly and the books are in colour and explain stuff so much better. :smile:
Reply 13
hello mate

i got A* for gcse, and a B because i took gcse maths 1 year early in year 10 instead of year 11. I find statistics the easiest as i've done it for 2 years and repeated it each time on OCR, also did S2. Edexcel S1 is easy for me, the teachers don't really teach i have to kinda teach myself the lil bits i don't know. P(AUB) the probability stuff i don't understand what the symbols mean, that's the only problem i have for S1.

I did D1 for 2 years and got a B, but the teacher is making me do M1, which i have to learn in a matter of a few months from scratch which seems stupid. It's ok though because i do A level physics, so the only stuff i don't understand is bearings & vectors.

C1 is easy but i always do stupid things like apply wrong forumulas to questions. In hindsight it seems easy, but when im taking the paper i always make stupid mistakes, all i need is some good 1 on 1 teaching and i think i should be ok. Strange thing is for an independent school the maths teachers are absolute crap. Except from 1 who is ok, but he only teaches us 1 and half hour a week.

Also we get no homework, which is my theory why im not doing so well at maths.

I'm currently studying a level physics, maths, media studies, AS psychology
i want to do audiology, i will need a B in a science based subject which includes biology, chemistry, physics, maths, statistics, psychology @ a level.
Reply 14
Nick Sutcliffe

Really? I'm sure I saw a link to an article somewhere on this forum which said 37% of Maths students get an A at A-level. However, that may be due to the fact that it has one of the highest drop out rates and those who think its too hard may choose not to do it.
Chris87
Why would they make 4 modules out of 3? Surely that's going to make it easier because there will be less work to do...

Yeah, that's the idea. They are trying to make Maths A-level easier, without actually lowering the standard of the pure content, so are making P1-3 into C1-4, so that you only have to take 2 applied modules rather than 3.
Reply 16
wish it was

c1-c3 [c4 cut out]
m1, m2
s1

alot easier for me

Latest