byronic2907
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Was wondering if anyone could give some general tips as to how to get top marks in english literature AQA specifically? I study Othello, The Great Gatsby, Love through the ages, and now will be doing Handmaid's, Streetcar named desire! I tend to have good ideas, but I mostly struggle with putting them on paper and making my writing sound eloquent and flow smoothly, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to overcome this? Also any tips for revision!! Thank you!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I studied Othello, Gatsby for coursework, Streetcar, Poems of the decade and Keats! My main tip is to start reading and annotating more academic articles - I found that I almost absorbed the writing style, and it became easier to mirror how they wrote when I wrote my own essays. Obviously A level standard isn't as fancy as the standard required to be published, but it can still really help! I find most of my articles here https://www.jstor.org/ - I have access through my uni, but I think you can access some free articles every month even if your library doesn't have an account!

Other than reading articles, my best English lit tips are:
- practice planning essays, including which key moment you want to focus on in each paragraph, any contextual links you might include, the overall argument in the essay and the points in each paragraph.
- Research context and really understand the period, the author, the setting (where possible!) and the author's literary context! Reading The Glass Menagerie for Streetcar really changed my perspective on it!
- write lots of practice paragraphs.
byronic2907
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I studied Othello, Gatsby for coursework, Streetcar, Poems of the decade and Keats! My main tip is to start reading and annotating more academic articles - I found that I almost absorbed the writing style, and it became easier to mirror how they wrote when I wrote my own essays. Obviously A level standard isn't as fancy as the standard required to be published, but it can still really help! I find most of my articles here https://www.jstor.org/ - I have access through my uni, but I think you can access some free articles every month even if your library doesn't have an account!

Other than reading articles, my best English lit tips are:
- practice planning essays, including which key moment you want to focus on in each paragraph, any contextual links you might include, the overall argument in the essay and the points in each paragraph.
- Research context and really understand the period, the author, the setting (where possible!) and the author's literary context! Reading The Glass Menagerie for Streetcar really changed my perspective on it!
- write lots of practice paragraphs.
Thank you so much! Our school provides us with a JSTOR login which makes this a lot easier!
alan55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in the same boat, I'm working on my poem analysis right now. I have found bookworm poem analysis sample to help me with my writing. Hopw with a little help of pro writes I'll finish my analysis at the highest level. These guys are real pro in writing and proofreading.
Last edited by alan55; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads