Practising an instrument, as a hobby, at oxford uni

Watch
jt1284
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm not doing a degree in music and am thinking about applying to Wadham college, but as far as I'm aware there are no music practice rooms. I play violin and guitar, although I should be able to practice guitar in my room. Am i able to use a different college's practice room facilities or are those reserved for the college's students only.
OxMus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jt1284)
I'm not doing a degree in music and am thinking about applying to Wadham college, but as far as I'm aware there are no music practice rooms. I play violin and guitar, although I should be able to practice guitar in my room. Am I able to use a different college's practice room facilities or are those reserved for the college's students only.
You won’t be able to use the practice rooms of another college, no.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jt1284)
I'm not doing a degree in music and am thinking about applying to Wadham college, but as far as I'm aware there are no music practice rooms. I play violin and guitar, although I should be able to practice guitar in my room. Am i able to use a different college's practice room facilities or are those reserved for the college's students only.
In case you haven't seen it, here's the 'official' position from the Wadham website. But since this will be something that several Wadham UGs will be wanting every year, I'm sure the college will have figured out ways to accommodate 'amateur' musos. :

Holywell Music Room
Available for piano practice by arrangement through the Faculty of Music. Non-music students must submit an application, using a link on the Faculty's website, for eligibility to use the piano. The room is also available for individual and group rehearsals through the Conference and Events Office.

The Bands room
The Music Room in the Bowra basement (adjacent to the gym) should always be used for any music with a strong beat or heavy volume. The permitted hours are currently 13:00-23:00 each day, but this may be restricted if the Moser Theatre is being used for a talk or production or there is excessive noise.

The Chapel and Ante-Chapel
The Ante-chapel piano: 07:00-10:00, 13;00-14:00, 19:00-23:00
The Chapel organ: 13:00-14:00, 19:00-23:00

Both instruments can normally be played on Saturdays from 09:00 to 23:00.

Special dispensation may be sought from the Dean to play outside these hours. To play the Chapel organ or the Antechapel piano, permission should be obtained from the Organ Scholar, who will consult the Dean and the Chaplain if problems arise.

The Hall Gallery
The Gallery Piano can only be played by arrangement. Permission should be obtained from the Organ Scholar and Conference & Events Office.

Moving of Pianos
Pianos in the Chapel and the Holywell Music room must not be moved without the permission of the Domestic Bursar.

Disabled Access
Step-free access to The Hall and Moser Theatre can be arranged by prior arrangement with the Lodge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (80)
26.85%
No - I have already returned home (36)
12.08%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
20.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.4%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.54%

Watched Threads