KillJoy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

Does anyone know of any grants/funding for PhD students that can used to buy a new laptop? Basically mine's just getting on a bit, and since my research is in computational chemistry it's an essential piece of kit for my work.

Thanks
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KillJoy)
Hi,

Does anyone know of any grants/funding for PhD students that can used to buy a new laptop? Basically mine's just getting on a bit, and since my research is in computational chemistry it's an essential piece of kit for my work.

Thanks
Sounds like one for your PhD supervisor to cover, if you are on any kind of funding package or working in a research lab there should be budget to cover essentials like this. Also if its needed for modelling you should be looking at a "proper" workstation or access to a cluster for big code jobs, with a laptop just for presentations and a little light code development and paper writing etc, not crunching big numerical jobs.
KillJoy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Sounds like one for your PhD supervisor to cover, if you are on any kind of funding package or working in a research lab there should be budget to cover essentials like this. Also if its needed for modelling you should be looking at a "proper" workstation or access to a cluster for big code jobs, with a laptop just for presentations and a little light code development and paper writing etc, not crunching big numerical jobs.
Thanks for the response. I do have a desktop computer which is provided by the research group, but with the COVID-19 situation and working remotely, I don’t have access to the office and unfortunately university policy means I can’t take the computer home. With regards to a computer for running jobs, I have access to a few supercomputers for my computing needs, which I currently access remotely on my laptop, so a UNIX-type laptop is ideally all I need to meet the computing requirements, since any calculation are done via a supercomputer.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KillJoy)
Thanks for the response. I do have a desktop computer which is provided by the research group, but with the COVID-19 situation and working remotely, I don’t have access to the office and unfortunately university policy means I can’t take the computer home. With regards to a computer for running jobs, I have access to a few supercomputers for my computing needs, which I currently access remotely on my laptop, so a UNIX-type laptop is ideally all I need to meet the computing requirements, since any calculation are done via a supercomputer.
Ok, so its sounds like the "big" stuff is already covered, good. Can you VPN / remote desktop into your office PC, that should be a pretty standard setup if its running Win 10 or similar, so you can launch batch runs on it and let them cook while you do something else. If you already have a PC + supercomputer access then in "normal" times I would say your research group has you well covered. However this is not "normal times" so definitly worth asking your supervisor about a "not too powerful" laptop to keep things going while you are off site.

Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (87)
30.96%
Less motivated (194)
69.04%

Watched Threads