AJ's Autumn Anime Preview 2020

Watch
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Welcome to another anime preview thread! The lineups for the last couple of seasons got hit pretty badly by the impacts of COVID-19 on production, but Autumn's schedule looks as huge as ever. :zomg:

Scroll down and click '+ show' next to the series titles to see images, trailers, genre tags, staff and studio info (where available) for all the upcoming Autumn anime~

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of October. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

--

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Maho Film
Japanese Airdate: Oct 2, 2020
Director: Habara Kumiko

(Original post by Summary:)
Yotsuya Yuusuke along with his classmates Shindou Iu and Hakozaki Kusue have been transported to a strange and unknown world inhabited by mythological creatures. As soon as they arrive, they meet somebody calling himself the Game Master who then grants them a time-limited quest. To aid them in this quest, he also bestows Shindou and Hakozaki with the roles of a Magician and a Warrior while Yotsuya is randomly granted the role of... a Farmer?!

This is how a hectic life of adventuring began for three students who now have no choice, but to complete random quests for several phases in the fantasy world if they want to stay alive and protect the real world from the demons and monsters they encounter.
People being transported to strange worlds has been done to death in anime; even then, I prefer series with 'true' fantasy lands to those with RPG elements. If the action or drama are good, maybe?

A3! Season Autumn & Winter

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: P.A. Works, Studio 3Hz
Japanese Airdate: Oct 13, 2020
Director: Sakoi Masayuki (Needless, Strawberry Panic)

"Director! Please help us bloom!"

In Tokyo, there is a place called Velude Way. It is a district notorious for its performers and theatrical groups. Izumi Tachibana, who was previously a stage actress, arrives with a letter that reads, "Full of debt! Zero customers! Only one actor!" It describes the current state of the once-popular theater group Mankai Company. Her task is to rebuild the company to its former glory as the new owner and chief director.
The seasons in the title actually match up with the airdate this time! :zomg: A sequel to the previous A3! series, which I didn't watch.

Adachi to Shimamura

Genre: Slice of Life, Romance
Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions
Japanese Airdate: Oct 9, 2020
Director: Kuwabara Satoshi (Go-Toubun no Hanayome, Yuu Gi Ou! Zexal)

Adachi is skipping class when she first meets fellow truant Shimamura in the gym loft, and just like that, a friendship is born. Except now Adachi’s having dreams about kissing her, and she doesn’t know what that means, but she’s pretty sure it’s not something you do with a friend. What are these strange feelings she has when she thinks of Shimamura? And is it possible Shimamura feels the same way?
Looks like a decent shoujo-ai series. Romance isn't usually my genre though, unless there's a major drama or comedy element to it.

Akudama Drive

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot
Japanese Airdate: Oct 8, 2020
Director: Taguchi Tomohisa (Persona 4 The Golden Animation, Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series)

Long ago, a war broke out in Japan that pitted Kantou against Kansai and divided the country. Kansai became dependent on Kantou, but slowly the police and government began losing control of Kansai to criminals known as Akudama.
An original work by the creators of Danganronpa, as is obvious from the character designs and style. Trailer looked a lot of fun!

Assault Lily: Bouquet

Animation Studio: Shaft
Director: Saeki Shouji (Medaka Box, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai)

In the near future, humanity faces imminent destruction from mysterious creatures known as "Huge." The world wages war against the Huge, and develops the anti-weapon "CHARM" (Counter Huge Arms) by combining science and magic. CHARM works more effectively when used by teenage girls, and those who use the weapons are revered as "Lilies." The Lilies are trained at military academies called "Gardens," which also serve as bases to protect and advise people. This is a story about girls who aim to become Lilies so they can protect Earth.
Generic monsters threatening humanity that can only be stopped by schoolgirls? Arguably more overdone than isekai.

D4DJ: First Mix

Animation Studio: SANZIGEN
Japanese Airdate: October 2020
Director: Mizushima Seiji (Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou, Ooedo Rocket)

Anime of mixed media project "D4DJ" announced at the D4DJ D4 FES. -Departure- event.
There's not a lot of info out there about the anime, but the director has worked on some cool things in the past, and there aren't many DJ anime out there.

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020)

Animation Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Oct 3, 2020
Director: Karasawa Kazuya

A long time ago, there was a valiant swordsman who came to be known simply as "the hero." There was a demon who has caused people suffering. The hero and his companions arrived to challenge the demon to a battle and by combining their powers, the battle was brought swift conclusion. With no one around to cause trouble, the island became a quiet place where everyone could live together in peace.

Several years later, the demon is revived. Our present-day protagonist, Dai, lives on a remote island in the southern seas and dreams of becoming a great hero. When he hears about the demon's revival, Dai and his friends take it upon themselves to stop him and the evil force that revived him. Along the way, Dai discovers the identity of "the hero," the truth behind the evil force who revived the demon, and Dai's own hidden powers that surface in times of peril.
DQ is obviously a huge game franchise, but this particular series is based on a 37 volume manga, which already got TV and movie anime adaptations in the early 90s. I'm interested to see what the hype is about.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka III

Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Tachibana Hideki (Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism, Dragon Crisis!)

The third season of Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka.
The first series didn't do much for me, I was already starting to tire of game-like fantasy anime 5 years ago. The spin-off was worse. Didn't bother with S2, so won't be watching this.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Bloom

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy
Animation Studio: Encourage Films
Japanese Airdate: Oct 10, 2020
Director: Hashimoto Hiroyuki (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e)

The third season of Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?
I'd forgotten this even had a second series. Looks cute and harmless enough, but again I skipped it the first (and apparently second) time around, and will do so again.

Golden Kamuy 3

Genre: Action, Comedy
Animation Studio: Geno Studio
Japanese Airdate: Oct 5, 2020
Director: Nanba Hitoshi (Heroman, Gosick)

Third season of Golden Kamuy.
Finally, we reach the sequels I care about! This has the potential to be anime of the year, if it's remotely as good as the two parts before it.

Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season

Genre: Sports, Drama
Animation Studio: Production I.G
Director: Satou Masako (Anima Yell!, Haikyuu!! To the Top)

Second half of Haikyuu!!: To the Top.
The second half of the 4th series... back in my day, they'd call that the 5th series, but we're seeing a lot more of these split seasons in recent years. Meh, I'll let them off, as I really like Haikyuu!!

Hanyou no Yashahime: Sengoku Otogizoushi

Genre: Action, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Director: Satou Teruo (Aikatsu Stars!)

The daughters of Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha set out on a journey transcending time!

In Feudal Japan, Half-Demon twins Towa and Setsuna are separated from each other during a forest fire. While desperately searching for her younger sister, Towa wanders into a mysterious tunnel that sends her into present-day Japan, where she is found and raised by Kagome Higurashi's brother, Souta, and his family.

Ten years later, the tunnel that connects the two eras has reopened, allowing Towa to be reunited with Setsuna, who is now a Demon Slayer working for Kohaku. But to Towa's shock, Setsuna appears to have lost all memories of her older sister.

Joined by Moroha, the daughter of Inuyasha and Kagome, the three young women travel between the two eras on an adventure to regain their missing past.
A spin-off / sequel to Inuyasha, which I haven't watched. Looks a lot of fun, but this season has enough other action shows to keep me satisfied.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020)

Genre: Mystery, Horror
Animation Studio: Passione
Japanese Airdate: Oct 1, 2020
Director: Kawaguchi Keiichirou (Frame Arms Girl, Island)

New kid Keiichi Maebara is settling into his new home of peaceful Hinamizawa village. Making quick friends with the girls from his school, he’s arrived in time for the big festival of the year.

But something about this isolated town seems 'off,' and his feelings of dread continue to grow. With a gnawing fear that he’s right, what dark secrets could this small community be hiding?
Now here's a real blast from the past! Studio Deen's original adaptation was fun, but flawed – hopefully this new take will actually focus on the story, not just the gruesome murders.

Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle - Rhyme Anima

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Ono Katsumi (Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV, Hataraki Man)

After the war, women have taken over ruling politics in the Chuo ward and have banned and destroyed weapons. This has caused men to fight through rap battles using Hypnosis Mics, which can be used to affect people's sympathetic nerves and influence their thought process. However, the legendary rap group, The Dirty Dawg, has split up into four groups, each representing a division of Tokyo, Japan and are engaging in territorial battles using words and the HypMics.
Literal rap battles! :zomg: The synopsis sounds great, but the trailer looked just like every other idol anime, and the only music featured in it was not what I'd call rap. A maybe.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Genre: Drama, Romance
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Japanese Airdate: Oct 6, 2020
Director: Koshida Tomoaki (Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san)

Living in an area known for its juvenile crime, 21-year-old Makoto is a friend of King, the leader of a youth gang called the G-Boys, though he himself does not want to join as a member. Known for his cool head and ability to get things done, Makoto becomes a key trouble-shooter for the gang by diffusing tense situations and keeping his friends out of harm's way. However, the death of his girlfriend and an escalating turf war with a rival gang threaten to be more than Makoto can handle.
The setting and animation style remind me of Durarara!!, but (presumably!) without the supernatural elements. Not what I'd expect from Doga Kobo!

Iwa Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls

Genre: Comedy, Sports
Animation Studio: Blade
Japanese Airdate: Oct 4, 2020
Director: Amino Tetsurou (Macross 7, Idol Tenshi Youkoso Youko)

Konomi Kasahara, a junior high school girl, has made a big name after winning numerous competitive puzzle game tournaments. The story begins when she finds a sports climbing club in her high school. Using special skills other than that of puzzle games, Kasahara becomes fascinated with climbing.
Climbing walls! Not a sport that I've seen covered in anime, before. The characters in the trailer seemed like a lot of fun, though the camera angles were fanservice-heavy. A maybe.

Jujutsu Kaisen

Genre: Action, Horror
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Park Seong-Hu (Garo: Vanishing Line, The God of High School)

In a world where demons feed on unsuspecting humans, fragments of the legendary and feared demon Ryoumen Sukuna were lost and scattered about. Should any demon consume Sukuna's body parts, the power they gain could destroy the world as we know it. Fortunately, there exists a mysterious school of Jujutsu Sorcerers who exist to protect the precarious existence of the living from the undead!

Yuuji Itadori is high schooler who spends his days visiting his bedridden grandfather. Although he looks like your average teenager, his immense physical strength is something to behold! Every sports club wants him to join, but Itadori would rather hang out with the school outcasts in the Occult Club. One day, the club manages to get their hands on a sealed cursed object, but little do they know the terror they'll unleash when they break the seal...
This season is spoiling me with its action offerings! The studio and director are masters of the genre, the trailer looks excellent – I will almost certainly be watching this.

Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko

Genre: Slice of Life, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Maho Film
Director: Yanase Yuuji (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni., Uchi no Ko no Tame Naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru Kamo Shirenai.)

Ryouma Takebayashi dies in his sleep at the age of 39 after leading a life of misfortune. Taking pity on him, three deities offer him the chance to reincarnate in a world of magic where he has only one mission: to be himself and enjoy life. They bestow upon Ryouma powerful physical abilities as well as the affinity to master all elements, and promise to watch over him. His new life as a young child officially starts when he is teleported into a forest.

Three years go by. Having spent most of his time researching slimes, Ryouma has managed to evolve unique kinds of slimes, training an army of them while developing his magic abilities. Although the young boy is happy with his hermit existence and comfortable cave home, he somewhat misses the company of humans. But after healing an injured member of a passing group of travelers from a duke's household, Ryouma is persuaded to go with them and exit the forest accompanied by his menagerie of slimes. A whole new world awaits him, where his skills as a magic user and slime tamer continue to elicit surprise and admiration.
All these series promising happy fantasy afterlives to depressed 18-40 year olds can't be healthy... trailer looks cute, but generic.

Kamisama ni Natta Hi

Genre: Drama, Fantasy
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Japanese Airdate: Oct 11, 2020
Director: Asai Yoshiyuki (Charlotte, Fate/Apocrypha)

At the end of the last summer vacation of high school, Youta Narukami spends his days preparing for the university entrance exams, when a young girl named Hina suddenly appears, proclaiming herself as the "god of omniscience." Youta is confused and does not believe Hina when she tells him "The world will end in 30 days." After witnessing Hina's God-like predictive ability, Youta begins to believe her powers are real. Hina, who is innocent and childlike despite her supernatural powers, decides for some reason to stay at Youta's home. Thus begins the start of their lively summer before the end of the world.
The third original series by Key, Aniplex and Maeda Jun, the first two being Angel Beats! and Charlotte – were those really 10 and 5 years ago respectively? I'm expecting good things from this.

Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen

Genre: Action, Romance
Animation Studio: Silver Link.
Japanese Airdate: Oct 7, 2020
Director: Oonuma Shin (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia) & Minato Mirai (Masamune-kun no Revenge, Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu.)

A great war has raged for years between the scientifically advanced Empire and Nebulis, the realm of the witches―until the youngest knight ever to receive the title of the Empire's strongest meets the princess of the rival nation. Though they are sworn enemies, the knight is taken by her beauty and dignity, and the princess is moved by his strength and way of life. Will the fighting between them ever be allowed to end?
Fantasy battle anime with a Romeo and Juliet-style romance. Probably not my thing, especially since it's a light novel adaptation – they tend to be full of long, boring dialogue to match their long, boring titles.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
King's Raid: Ishi wo Tsugumono-tachi

Animation Studio: OLM, Sunrise Beyond
Director: Hoshino Makoto (Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love Revolutions, Dame x Prince Anime Caravan)

It's been 100 years since King Kyle buried Ang Mundo. Now in a time of peace, the apprentice knight Kasel enjoys his life without worry. His fate begins to change, however, with news of demon appearances infesting the neighborhood. Guided by a wise man, Kasel finds friends he can rely on and sets off on his mission to seek a holy sword, capable of slaying his newfound enemies.
This looks like the most generic RPG adaptation I've seen in a while... and I'm okay with that! No transportations or reincarnations from Earth, just a fantasy adventuring party taking down some demons. A maybe.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear

Genre: Fantasy, Comedy
Animation Studio: EMT Squared
Director: Ishii Hisashi (Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii, Ame-iro Cocoa Series: Ame-con!!) & Nobuta Yuu (Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai, High School Fleet)

Fifteen-year-old Yuna prefers staying home and obsessively playing her favorite VRMMO to doing anything else, including going to school. When a strange new update gives her a one-of-a-kind bear outfit that comes with overpowered abilities, Yuna is torn: the outfit is unbearably cute, but too embarrassing to wear in-game. But then she suddenly finds herself transported into the world of the game, facing down monsters and magic for real, and the bear suit becomes the best weapon she has!
NEET gets transported inside a video game. This is the new generic. Giving her a bear costume doesn't make this original.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai

Genre: Music, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Director: Kawamura Tomoyuki (Kamigami no Asobi, Mitsuboshi Colors)

The third installment of the Love Live franchise, focusing on the Nijigasaki High School Idol Club.
I've watched the first series of Love Live! It was alright, I can see why the franchise is popular, but it's not really my cup of tea.

Maesetsu!

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy
Animation Studio: Studio Gokumi, AXsiZ
Director: Ishii Hisashi (Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii, Ame-iro Cocoa Series: Ame-con!!) & Nobuta Yuu (Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai, High School Fleet)

The anime centers on four girls at the full bloom of their youth, working hard to achieve their dreams as they struggle valiantly. In Japanese entertainment, Maesetsu! refers to an introductory talk or explanation addressed to the audience before the broadcast of television programs, usually performed by assistant directors and particularly comedians in variety or comedy shows.
Cute character designs, but I wonder how well the concept will translate for a Western audience? I'll give it a chance. Also, same director as this season's Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear.

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst

Animation Studio: Yokohama Animation Lab
Director: Hosoda Naoto (Juuni Taisen, Mirai Nikki)

Two young people living in the Wahrheit Empire are planning to relocate to the capital city: the shy Inumael who works as a transporter and was once an important younger sister, and Leocaido, a naive new soldier of the Empire who spent his days in the imperial city thinking of his future as a soldier.

In the Empire, countless human beings were once extinguished from the world. The return of the "light," the disaster that summoned a ferocious monster into the world, is predicted, and the remaining humans' spirits are devastated. Meanwhile, the fate of Inumael, Leocadio, and the history of the Empire will change drastically as a result of one weapon smuggling incident.
'...and was once an important younger sister'? :lolwut: Can't tell whether that's a translation error or not. Regardless, the trailer sold this one for me, looks very high budget!

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen

Genre: Action, Romance
Animation Studio: 8bit
Director: Yoshida Risako (Diabolik Lovers More, Blood, Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS)

Shiba Miyuki's classmate Kitayama Shizuku is on her way to study abroad. For magicians, this is normally impossible, since allowing the genes of someone who can use magic outside their home country's borders is tantamount to giving up national secrets. But it's allowed to happen in one case-exchange programs. And that's how Angelina Kudou Shields has arrived in Japan from the USNA to study at First High.

Around the time Lina arrived in Japan magicians began getting attacked by a mysterious being who leaves his victims drained of blood. Will Tatsuya be able to discover the identity of the "Vampire"?
I remember this being a big deal when it first aired, though I couldn't get into it myself. 6 years is a long time to wait for a sequel!

Majo no Tabitabi

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy
Animation Studio: C2C
Director: Kubooka Toshiyuki (Berserk: Ougon Jidai Hen, Harukana Receive)

Once upon a time, there was a witch named Elaina, who set off on a journey across the world. Along the way, she would meet all kinds of people, from a country full of witches to a giant in love with his own muscles—but with each meeting, Elaina would become a small part of their story, and her own world would get a little bit bigger.
For those who prefer a more slice of life feel to their fantasy shows – which might be me, depending on the quality of the writing.

Maoujou de Oyasumi

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Japanese Airdate: Oct 6, 2020
Director: Yamazaki Mitsue (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?)

Sshhh! Princess Syalis is trying to get a good night's sleep. Some shut-eye. Forty winks. Catch some Z's. Long ago in olden times when people and demons lived together in—well, disharmony, really—a demon king kidnaps a human princess and imprisons her in his castle. Bereft, the princess's subjects beat their chests in anguish…until a hero arises to spearhead Project Rescue Our Princess! While waiting for her knight in shining armor, what's an imprisoned princess to do...? Teddy-bear guards with bat wings are all very well, but her dungeon cell is bo-o-o-ring! So, she decides to wile away the long hours by sleeping. Now if only she could get comfortable…and didn't suffer from insomnia...
This looks like a fun parody of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale! Good studio, great director, no isekai nonsense in sight.

Munou na Nana

Genre: Psychological, Thriller
Animation Studio: Bridge
Director: Ishihira Shinji (Fairy Tail, Log Horizon)

It is the year 20XX. Earth has been assaulted by monsters known as 'the Enemy of Humanity'. In order to deal with this threat, special schools comprised of teenagers with extraordinary abilities were formed. These people, who came to be known as 'the Talented', have abilities that defy the rules of reality. Among these superpowered individuals was an outlier, someone who was sent to one of these schools despite having no innate special abilities whatsoever. This is the story of our protagonist, who attempts to defeat the Enemies of Humanity through the use of intelligence and manipulation.
Highschool kids fighting world destroying monsters. Again. The only thing that makes this stand out is the genre tags: 'psychological, thriller', rather than the 'action, sci-fi' that usually accompanies such synopses.

Noblesse

Genre: Action, Supernatural
Director: Yamamoto Yasutaka (Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Hinomaru Zumou)

For 820 years he had slumbered with no knowledge of mankind's advancement and scientific progress. The land which he once knew has become an unfamiliar place with new technology, attitudes, and lifestyles. Upon awakening, Cadis Etrama Di Raizel (aka Rai), seeks to familiarize himself with this era. He locates a loyal servant of his, Frankenstein, who is currently the principal of a South Korean High School. Rai decides that this school is the perfect place to help him learn about the modern world, enrolls, and begins associating with a group of good-natured students in order to 'blend in'. But this new world is no safer than the old; and the dignified, bewildered, technologically inept Rai finds himself embroiled in adventures both ridiculous and dangerous.
This season's Crunchyroll Original, again adapted from a Korean WEBTOON. Looks like it will have a decent mix of action and comedy.

Ochikobore Fruit Tart

Genre: Music, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: feel.
Japanese Airdate: Oct 12, 2020
Director: Kawaguchi Keiichirou (Frame Arms Girl, Island)

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart follows a group of show business dropouts—rookie idol Sakura Ino, promising newcomer Midori Hemo, former child actor Sekino Roko, former model Maehara Nina and former musician Nukui Hayu—who all live in a dormitory together.

But when it's revealed that the dorm is set to be demolished, manager Kajino Hoho has a plan: Start a new idol group called Fruit Tart with the girls, and pay off a hefty 100-million yen debt.
Shares plot elements with both A3! and Love Live!, so could be a good alternative if you want to try out the genre. Also shares its director with the new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - don't confuse the two. :p:

Osomatsu-san S3

Genre: Comedy, Parody
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot
Japanese Airdate: Oct 13, 2020
Director: Fujita Youichi (Binbougami ga!, Classicaloid)

Third season of Osomatsu-san.
I watched and enjoyed the first two series of Osomatsu-san, the director is a master when it comes to comedy anime.

Saikyo Kamizmode!

Genre: Action
Animation Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures
Director: Satou Mitsutoshi (Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara, Bakumatsu: Ren`ai Bakumatsu Kareshi Gaiden - Crisis)

:iiam:
If a synopsis for this exists, then nobody has translated it for any of the sites I usually get my info from. Thankfully there's a trailer – some kind of taiko drum god sumo battle anime for kids!? :laugh:

Seizei Ganbare! Mahou Shoujo Kurumi 3

Genre: Parody, Magic
Animation Studio: Pie in the sky
Director: Matsumoto Keisuke (Ponkotsu Quest: Maou to Haken no Mamono-tachi, Super Short Comics)

The third season of Seizei Ganbare! Mahou Shoujo Kurumi.
I'd never heard of this franchise before; apparently S1 and S2 were 4 minute web shorts, but S3 is being listed among this season's full-length TV anime on all sites I checked. Might be a mistake, we'll see I guess!

Senyoku no Sigrdrifa

Genre: Action, Military
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Tokuda Hirotaka

The Pillars suddenly appeared above Earth, threatening all life. A god who called himself Odin came to the aid of humanity as it was driven to near complete defeat. To counter the Pillars, Odin declared a counterattack by bequeathing humanity with the battle maidens Walküres and the "herocraft" as their wings.

Several years later, the battle between humanity and Pillars rages on, with men supporting the Walküres as they soar through the treacherous skies to save the world.

Japan is no exception. Three Walküres confront the giant Pillar looming over sacred Mt. Fuji. Each Walküre is skilled, but each also has issues. And now, an ace pilot has arrived from Europe.

"Now is the time to fight back, humanity. The day of reckoning has arrived. The time of Ragnarok draws nears."
Schoolgirls vs the apocalypse. AGAIN. At least the adults are making themselves useful in support roles this time? :p: Also, I see it has biplanes... I do like a show with good aerial battle scenes!

Strike Witches: Dai-501 Tougou Sentou Koukuudan ROAD to BERLIN

Genre: Action, Ecchi
Animation Studio: David Production
Director: Takamura Kazuhiro (Queen`s Blade: Rurou no Senshi, Brave Witches)

A new Strike Witches anime was announced as a part of the franchise's 10th anniversary.
Aerial pantsu scenes, not so much. I *think* schoolgirls versus monsters was already a tired concept 12 years ago, but its continued prevalence today likely owes a lot to Strike Witches.

Taisou Zamurai

Genre: Sports
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Shimizu Hisatoshi (Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven - Hi-Evolution)

The story is set in the year 2002 in the once powerful Japanese men's gymnastics team. Shoutarou Aragaki, the former Japanese team member who devoted his life to gymnastics, is no longer able to compete to his expectations. Despite still training strenuously day after day, he is advised to retire by his coach Amakusa. However, a certain encounter alters Aragaki's fate.
My usual sports anime slot may already be filled by Haikyuu!!, but an adult Olympian faced with retirement is about as different as you can get from high school volleyball, so I won't rule this out.

Tonikaku Kawaii

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: Seven Arcs
Director: Hiroshi Ikehata (Akiba`s Trip the Animation, Murenase! Seton Gakuen)

The story follows a protagonist whose name is written with the characters for "Hoshizora" ("Starry Sky" in Japanese), but whose name is pronounced as "Nasa". On the day of his high school entrance exams, Nasa encounters a beautiful girl named Tsukasa. For Nasa, it feels like destiny is finally calling out to him that he will have a girlfriend, but things take a turn for the worse when Nasa is hit by a car and unable to attend his entrance exams.

After Tsukasa helps the injured Nasa, he confesses his feelings to her, and she agrees to go out with him, but only if Nasa agrees to marry her first. A year later Nasa aces the entrance exams, but he decides to work a part time job and live by himself instead of going to school. After Nasa turns 18, Tsukasa re-appears, and their happy, romantic, and mysterious married life together begins.
Apparently shares the same setting as the original manga creator's other work, Hayate no Gotoku. Doesn't particularly stand out to me, but it ranks very highly in AniChart's most anticipated series rankings!

Tsukiuta. The Animation 2

Animation Studio: Children's Playground Entertainment
Director: Nishimoto Yukio (Ginga Tetsudou Monogatari, Ongaku Shoujo (2018))

Second season of Tsukiuta. The Animation.
Another boyband series sequel; apparently the first series was four years ago already! I didn't watch that, so as usual will skip this too.

Yuukoku no Moriarty

Genre: Mystery, Psychological
Director: Nomura Kazuya (Robotics;Notes, Joker Game)

In the late 19th century, the British Empire has become a global power. Due to the strict class stratification, the average citizen has little chance of successfully rising up to the top, where the despicable nobility rules over them all.

William James Moriarty, the second son of the Moriarty household, is a young mathematics professor who has displayed great cunning and intellect since he was a child. Along with his brothers Albert and Louis, he lives the simple life of a noble. Outside of school, William is a well-known private consultant willing to solve the problems of anyone in need. However, his gentle demeanor belies his position as the head of a group prepared to wreak havoc in pursuit of its desire—a new world built from the ashes of the old.

Yuukoku no Moriarty puts a new spin on Arthur Conan Doyle's original work by putting the spotlight on its main antagonist and exploring how he came to be the first and only "criminal consultant."
Last but not least, bishounen Moriarty should make for a good antihero! Decent mystery anime are hard to find, hopefully this will deliver something at least vaguely worthy of its characters' names.

--

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, AniList, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list (entirely possible what with all the COVID delays and postponements!), let me know and I'll look into them.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Picked up:

Jujutsu Kaisen

Munou na Nana

Majo no Tabitabi

Golden Kamuy 3

Maoujou de Oyasumi

Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season

Iwa Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls

Akudama Drive

Kamisama ni Natta Hi

Osomatsu-san S3

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst

Yuukoku no Moriarty

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru

Taisou Samurai

Dropped:

Maesetsu!

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020)

Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 week ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is amazing :woo:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The season begins! Hopefully the replies will, as well? :puppyeyes:

Well this was a blast from the past! The 2006 Studio Deen adaptation was one of the first anime series I watched, and I was so proud of myself when I finally mastered saying the full Japanese title... all 10 syllables of it. Feels short compared with the light novel titles of the 2010s. ANYWAY, back to this first episode!

Virtually identical to the first episode of the 2006 series, if my memory serves. It did a good job of introducing the main cast, showing them having a lot of fun together, but with just a slight hint that something dark is being covered up. Features the same soundtrack, including the iconic opening theme (though they stuck it at the end this week, for dramatic effect). Largely (if not exactly) the same voice cast, too. Animation quality is higher, as is the resolution in this HD era... though the character designs are different, and will take some getting used to. Overall, a solid start, and I'd recommend this to anyone looking for some early Halloween viewing. :jacko:

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/hig...-cry-new/?qid=
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 3 weeks ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?

100 years after the kingdom of Orvelia sorted out their demon problem, rumours start to spread that they have returned to the forest just outside the capital. A group of scouts are sent to investigate... and we were treated to some great action scenes as they got annihilated by skeletal warriors. Quite graphic, too! After only one survivor returns to the capital, a young squire named Kasel (our main character) decides to set out to the forest in hopes of finding and rescuing his friend Clause. Though this series has possibly the most generic fantasy setting ever, the well-written character introductions and dialogue, decent pacing, high production values and great music made it highly enjoyable.

One thing that stood out was the racism. Orvelia is a human kingdom, and a dark elf mercenary leader offering to deal with the demons is met with immediate prejudice and distrust... which Kasel immediately challenges, giving some hope that the show will deal with this topic maturely. Just so happens that these mercenaries are actually planning a coup against the king though, so it'll be interesting to see how that develops!

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/kin...s-of-the-will/
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Jujutsu Kaisen

Main character Itadori Yuji has unusually high physical strength, but refuses to join his school's sports clubs, instead opting for the Occult Research Club. And that club has found a fantastic object to research: a mummified finger, wrapped in paper talismans to ward off curses... the kind of thing that you should definitely not unseal. Jujutsu High School pupil Fushiguro Megumi is trained to recognise such curses, detects a hint of it on Yuji, and warns him that his friends are in danger. The two rush to the school after dark, only to find that they're too late - the other club members have unsealed the finger, and all manner of horrifying creatures are trying to get their hands on it.

Fairly typical shounen fare, but with fantastic animation from MAPPA. The main character is likable, and early on in the episode, we see him deal with the loss of his grandfather - something that strengthens his resolve to do whatever it takes to rescue his friends. No doubt there's a reason for his super strength, and partial resistance to the finger's curse. Another solid Autumn offerning!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/jujutsu-kaisen
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Munou na Nana

Kids with supernatural powers are sent to a remote island, to train their abilities in order to fight a foe known only as 'the enemy of humanity'. This first episode featured two primary characters: Nakajima Nanao, a socially awkward boy who claims to have no real power of note, and the eponymous Hiiragi Nana, who can read minds. The two get along well at first, with Nana standing up for Nanao against the class bullies, having heard the good thoughts inside of him... though as usually happens with mind reading characters, she takes it too far and Nanao eventually feels invaded. They make up by the end of the episode though, after Nanao uses his power to save Nana - turns out it's a pretty cool power, too!

Another super hero school anime, I thought. :yawn: But then, the bait and switch. I thought what we'd seen so far didn't make sense based on what I remembered of the synopsis (the title gives it away too, though I guess it could have applied to either due to their similar names). I'm intrigued enough to stick with this, though it is probably the weakest of the Autumn shows I've sampled so far.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/talentless-nana/?qid=
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Majo no Tabitabi

Main character Elaina was obsessed with travel from a very young age, after reading about the adventures of Nike, the travelling witch. Her parents told her that she too could go on such journeys, if she became a witch herself. And so, Elaina poured everything she had into studying for this goal. She aced the witch exams at a record young age of 14, but developed a stuck up sense of superiority in the process. Unfortunately for her, the next stage was to train as an apprentice under a fully-fledged witch... and none of them wanted to take on the child prodigy. That is, until Elaina sought out Fran, the eccentric Stardust Witch, whose training methods (or lack thereof) were not what the girl had in mind!

An alright introductory episode, focusing almost exclusively on Elaina herself: a summarised journey from dreaming child to adult witch, finally ready to start her own travels. Little time was spent on wider world building, or explanation of how magic works there. It'll be difficult to assess the series without seeing some of Elaina's trips, which I'm guessing will take the form of a new story every week or two, but I'll stick with it for now.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/wan...ney-of-elaina/
Tenya Iida
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
following
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tenya Iida)
following
Many thanks!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Golden Kamuy 3

The first true, non-remake sequel of the season for me! I'll keep these sequel posts shorter, mostly to avoid spoilers, but also because if you've already watched Series 1 and 2, you'll know what to expect - this featured more of the same ridiculous characters and fun comedy moments, while also advancing the plot, and sprinkling in plenty of history and cultural facts about Ainu, Russian and Japanese relationships in the early 1900s. And if you haven't watched Series 1 and 2, DO IT. I've even provided a link below. Absolutely one of my favourite shows of all time, cannot recommend it highly enough.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/golden-kamuy
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 2 weeks ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Maoujou de Oyasumi

Syalis is a young princess in a fantasy world. One day, she is kidnapped by a demon king, who keeps her hostage in the dungeons. The kingdom weeps, and a brave hero sets out to rescue her. As for Syalis herself, however, her main concern is getting a good night's sleep. Somehow, she just can't settle in her new surroundings. And so, she decides to upgrade her bedding, using whatever resources she can find, steal, or harvest directly from the bodies of her monster captives. Within days, she has won over the soft Teddy Demon cell guards, allowing her to wander the castle at will... and whenever the demon king tries to confront her about it, he finds her sound asleep, and hasn't the heart to wake her.

This first episode was brilliant - a great parody of the usual captured princess trope of old fairy tales, where the hostage seems like the real terror, in her quest for comfort. The real question is, where does it go from here? Will the whole series be variations on this one gag? Only one way to find out! There's certainly room in my lineup for a dark yet cute comedy such as this.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/sle...n-castle/?qid=
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Haikyuu!! To the Top: Part II

The second half of the fourth series of Haikyuu!! is here~ The show resumed exactly where its previous half left off, not only part way through a national tournament, but part way through a match! A painful place to leave things hanging (especially with the wait being longer than planned due to COVID delays!), but it meant that this was one of the most exciting first eps of the Autumn thus far, so all is forgiven. :yep: Again, I'll keep the sequel posts short, as there are plenty of reviews already out there for previous series. Haikyuu is a good example of the shounen sports genre - nothing too original, but with a fun cast, great reaction faces, and some of the best quality animation out there right now.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/haikyu
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Iwakakeru! Sport Climbing Girls

We continue with the sports theme, but while Haikyuu!! was always going to make my lineup, I wasn't so sure about this before watching. I wanted it to be good, having previously worked in a leisure centre with a climbing wall, and developed an appreciation for the sport (even if I sucked at it myself), but the trailer looked heavy on fanservice. :erm:

Konomi is a former hardcore puzzle gamer, who gave up her hobby after it started impacting her grades. Now looking for a new pastime, she is drawn to her new school's climbing wall, and proves to be a natural thanks to her puzzle solving skills. Fellow first year and experienced climber Jun doesn't take kindly to her viewing the sport as a game, however, sparking an early rivalry! This animation is clearly cheaper than anything else I've sampled this season, but it held my interest throughout, and provided a good intro to the basics of climbing, with far less focus on boobs & butts than in the trailer. Looks like it will be jumping straight into competitions in the next ep, too! Glad I gave this a shot, it won me over fast.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/iw...limbing-girls-
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Akudama Drive

In a dystopian future Kanzai, our conscientious (and nameless) main character gets arrested for a minor crime following a misunderstanding. Meanwhile, major criminals (or Akudama, as they're collectively referred to) known as Courier, Hacker, Doctor and Brawler, all with expected sentences of over 100 years, suddenly receive messages promising a huge reward: all they have to do is storm police headquarters and rescue the most dangerous Akudama of all, Cutthroat. Explosions and high body counts ensue. Ordinary protagonist gets mixed up in it all, but convinces the Akudama that she is one of them. A minor escaped Hoodlum also joins the party, after overhearing them talk about the reward.

Though every Autumn anime I've watched prior to this has been highly entertaining, it's all been simple, straight-forward, good examples of tried and tested genres. Akudama Drive, meanwhile, was pure chaos, but in a good way. Certainly the season's most stylish offering, and one of its most unpredictable, since it's an original work not based on an existing book or game. I look forward to seeing where it goes!

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/akudama-drive/
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Main character Makoto lives in Ikebukuro, an area of Tokyo known for its gangs. Somehow, this guy has contacts both with the leader of one of its biggest gangs (known as the G-Boys), but also high up with the local police - for this reason, he is able to mediate between different groups, and take on tasks that they would not be able to do themselves. This episode saw him help out a girl whose mother had been injured by a drug driver, by breaking into their shady herb shop, finding their illegal cannabis factory, planting a sample of it in plain sight, then tipping off the police (who had leaked the store owner's name to him to begin with). Good luck getting that evidence through the courts!

This series has potential - good setting, decent enough visuals, great opening and ending theme, and seeing how a neutral party copes in a world of gang warfare and vigilante justice appeals to me... dialogue wasn't great though, a lot of forced exposition, and all the characters other than perhaps Makoto seemed boring. Think I'll see what else Autumn has to offer before committing to this.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/ike...est-gate-park/
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Maesetsu!

Main characters Kogarashi Mafuyu and Kitakaze Fubuki are high school graduates (not that you'd know from their character designs!), who dream of becoming professional comedians. This episode saw them team up with another comedy duo to perform as an 'air band' at their old school's cultural fair, which goes down well. Afterwards, Kogarashi attempts an impression gag, which completely bombs. She then spends the rest of the ep complaining about it, much like I do when my Chat threads get tons of replies and my Entertainment stuff doesn't. With help from her friends and feedback from her former teacher, she considers what she can do to improve the joke for next time, or whether to drop it entirely.

While the main joke at the centre of this episode was deliberately not funny, I can't say that any of the other gags made me laugh either. Maybe it didn't translate well (literally or culturally), maybe it just wasn't my kind of humour, or maybe it's genuinely boring and badly written. Hard to tell, since comedy is the most subjective art form. No point keeping it on, though.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/mae...ning-act/?qid=
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Kamisama ni Natta Hi

One day, a young girl in a mysterious nun-like costume appears out of nowhere before high school boy Narukami Youta, and declares herself to be an omniscient god. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't believe her at first, and she herself even lets slip a few facts suggesting that she has a real Japanese name and address, but for whatever reason she has no intention of leaving his side. As he spends the day with her, waiting for her to get bored and go away, it becomes increasingly apparent that her ability to predict the future is too accurate to be simple guesswork... and one claim, which she repeats more than once, is that the world is going to end in just 30 days.

This featured the usual Key setup: ordinary boy meets supernatural girl(s), hilarity ensues. And this ep certainly delivered - Narukami's confession to the kuudere Izanami, and the subsequent fallout, were fantastic. Throughout the episode, he and Odin/Sato/Hina made a great comedy duo. But right from the start, we're given a warning of drama to come, another Key staple. I'm up for watching the world end!

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/the...me-a-god/?qid=
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Osomatsu-san S3

As with the first ep of each Osomatsu-san series so far, the focus was on rebranding and reimagining this almost 60 year old franchise for a present day audience. This time the sextruplets were replaced by new, bishounen brothers, and sisters, and a diverse global group of main characters. The original cast met with their voice actors, were sent to a facility to be 'reborn', but were rejected and turned into coloured poop emoji, the usual wacky stuff. There was no 4th wall to break to begin with. Plenty of references and parodies of anime and other media, though not as over the top as that original banned episode. In summary, more of the same, and I'm fine with that!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/mr-osomatsu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.68%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (525)
48.7%

Watched Threads