The Student Room Group

please help i've had a massive change of heart and want to do a complete 180

i've applied for a joint honours psychology/drama degree at bath spa university. lovely, wonderful, really love the uni. i've always had an interest in studying marine biology, but have somehow missed every chance i've had. fortunately, a friend of mine reminded me that foundation years exist and actually, if i want to, i can study marine biology without the required a-levels.

the problem lies in the fact that i now have a week before i start uni on the aforementioned drama/psych course, and bath spa does not offer a marine bio course. my plan is to call my sixth form and ask for advice, followed by calling hull uni and asking how i would go about applying via clearing, and finally calling bath and asking whether it's possible to cancel/defer my place.

is this a terrible idea? the thought of studying marine bio is more than infinitely more exciting than drama/psych, and i've always adored the ocean and sea life and biology and all that kinda stuff, but i have a week to make this decision before i pay thirty grand to study something i have no intention of doing as a career and have only a passing interest in.

EDIT THREE YEARS LATER
Best decision I ever made. Love my degree, love my study, going into third year this year and could not be more excited for my dissertation. Impulse decisions aren’t always the best ones to make, but this one was definitely the right choice for me!
(edited 10 months ago)
Definitely do it! Go for what you're excited about doing. I can't see any benefit to doing a degree you aren't massively enthused about, don't want a career related to, knowing there's something better for you out there. If it's a bit tight time-wise, gap year. It's worth having a break if at the end of it you get to do what you want! Good luck :biggrin:
100% go for it. I’m not sure how feasible it is this late. Do you know if that course is still available for clearing? If it is make it your mission tomorrow to get it sorted
Reply 3
Very very worth it! In the long term, it's passion which will help you.
Go for it!! You're gonna hit periods where motivation will be hard to summon at the best of times, but if you start already wishing you were doing something else it will be even harder. Definitely worth pursuing something you're excited about. Good luck!
Reply 5
It looks as though that course does have places in Clearing.

If I were you, I would call them at 9 a.m. tomorrow and make enquiries. You may have an answer as to whether they will accept you by the end of the day.

As soon as you know, free up the other place, just in case this means an opening for someone who missed out.

https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/marine-biology-bsc-hons?d=2020&var=foundation
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
You dont have to start this year - if uncertain drop out for this year and re-apply.
I would definitely do it, I've changed my mind too but I took a gap year, I was going to do Languages but I've changed my mind to marine biology. It also depends on your subjects, if you did biology then you are probably fine, I didn't do biology so I'm doing it privately with UK open study college, so that I can do the course hopefully next year. Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending