It’s prescribed for 6 months
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Skyrim)
Yeah, you do see a lot of that on r/tressless.

I don't want to invalidate anyone else's experience, but I think if someone expects to get side effects they will definitely experience them psychologically. During my first week I attributed every negative feeling I had to Finasteride (headaches etc.) but these days I don't even think about it. Just pop a tablet and go about my day.

I'm actually considering upgrading to Dutasteride as my hair loss is very aggressive. Dutasteride is very strong though, so I'm cautious about taking that leap.

Best of luck to OP
Yeah very true, then having a platform like r/tressless to talk about it just confirms it
Have you tried minoxidil yet or are you skipping it? If so, how was it for you? I'm finding it pretty good, but I've given up caring now. I take it but I'm prepared to go bald in my mid 20's. "Growing out that beard" to prepare lol
Good luck on the Dutasteride though man, hope that helps keep it down.
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It’s prescribed for 6 months
How far in are you, and is there any scalp scarring?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve improved the way I eat and I’ve began exercising again but hopefully I keep up with it
I used rice water a long time ago as well as caster oil but they didn’t help whatsoever
I get heavy periods but I haven’t read enough on PCOS
I think I do need to go to the doctors because even my parents have noticed how thin my hair has become and my mums saying how I’ve lost my beauty because of my hair
So now I have yet another thing to add to the list of things I’m self conscious about
My hair used to be very thick but now it’s thin
I'm afraid you can't so anything else other than wait... its annoying believe me but because we are still growing, the hair should eventually become okay.
Has the hair texture changed at all? Like has it become more dry, more matted etc.?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m 17 and I was given a prescription for low vitamin d and iron, I’ve been taking those for a while but my hair is still falling out. It’s so dry and I just feel so self conscious about it. My hair used to be so thick and silky and now it’s so thin 😭 I don’t want to waste the doctors time when they’re dealing with more serious things and most of the time, they try to limit the amount of people they see.
hey, i also have iron deficiency anemia and vit d deficiency. same issue with my hair, too. my doctor, and a trichologist (a really good one, he's a medical expert that does medico-legal reports) said it might take at least 6 months for it to go back to normal due to hair growth cycles etc
Skyrim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 2_versions)
Yeah very true, then having a platform like r/tressless to talk about it just confirms it
Have you tried minoxidil yet or are you skipping it? If so, how was it for you? I'm finding it pretty good, but I've given up caring now. I take it but I'm prepared to go bald in my mid 20's. "Growing out that beard" to prepare lol
Good luck on the Dutasteride though man, hope that helps keep it down.
I just don't know if I want to commit to Minoxidil twice a day for the rest of my life. A tablet is easier than a topical for me. If I did try minoxidil and it gave me remarkable hair growth I'd be over the moon though. My end goal is to get a transplant for my hairline, however I'm too young. Most docs will (rightfully) not operate on anyone under 25 as the hair loss pattern is too unstable and unpredictable.

It's nice to hear you are willing to embrace it, hope the beard comes out nicely, lol. I love being clean shaven so the shave and grow a beard isn't really an option for me. It was already devastating enough having to chop off my shoulder length hair when it started thinning, not sure I could handle going fully bald anytime soon.

Thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm afraid you can't so anything else other than wait... its annoying believe me but because we are still growing, the hair should eventually become okay.
Has the hair texture changed at all? Like has it become more dry, more matted etc.?
Yes my hair texture has changed. Before it used to be silky and thick and now it’s very dry and my scalp is always itchy. I tried t gel but it actually made m scalp worse.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes my hair texture has changed. Before it used to be silky and thick and now it’s very dry and my scalp is always itchy. I tried t gel but it actually made m scalp worse.
have you been to see a trichologist? a proper one; ideally one that works as a medical expert witness? not one of those belgravia centre type of 'technicians'?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
This is EXACTLY what happened to me as well but the hair seems to be getting back to its natural moisture levels (I mean my hair is curly and has always been a little dry and frizzy)
If you have the same issue as me, one day, you'll realise that your hair isn't falling out anymore and is actually thicker. For me, this happened about a year and 2 months after the hair issue started and now, my temples seem to be a little more filled, my part is no longer as wide, my hair is healthier and the natural colour had returned, the curl definition is much better. Of course its not as nice as it used to be but beggars cant be choosers so if you've got to make a choice between thin hair which has good texture or thick hair with worse texture, I'd always choose the thick hair because there are ways to improve texture but there aren't many ways to make hair thicker
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (68)
22.08%
No (240)
77.92%

Watched Threads