Ashfire45
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just moved in to a private flat today with two other girls, one age 24 and one I don't know the age of. Well, one of the girls complains to the Landlady that I was too loud moving in - my Landlady apologizes to me, because she told me nobody was in.

There's a mountain of dishes. An absolute mountain. You could make a separate kitchen with all the utensils waiting to be washed. Even their 'clean' dishes still have bits of food stuck to them.

The cooker is COVERED in dirt and grime, it's like they've used it constantly but never washed it once.

I go into the bathroom and one of them hasn't flushed. No biggie, I think, as they've clearly forgotten, so I flush for them. I notice the bathroom floor is also filthy, so I go ahead and clean that.

Just before going to bed... I go into the bathroom, and there's just outright skidmarks all down the toilet. There's a toilet brush. I mean that's utterly repulsive - if this was the only warning sign, I'd shrug it off as them not having noticed or something.

So far, I've not heard them talk to one another; they just dive straight into their rooms.

I was raised to be clean and thoughtful of others, so this is just absolutely killing me. Am I over reacting or is it time to start looking for other places?
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look for other places. You should be having a better experience than that. Have a word with them too that’s not fair
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Eeeuuuuuughhh. Have the two had a massive falling out or what? I'd be looking for other places, if you clean up their mess they won't learn.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
look for other places!!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jeeeez

Could you talk to the Landlady with (ewww) pictures? You shouldn't have to move out, they should/be sanctioned for being unhygienic - I wouldn't be surprised if it attracted mice tbh.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When it comes to this then people don't tend to change. They are not going to start being cleaner so you need to get out and find somewhere that isn't less clean than the corner of an animal pen used for defecation.
mkstudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure you will be able to move that easily if you have signed a contract. Did you not view the property first?

I think sharing with slobs is a downside of shared university living that just makes you appreciate your own space when you finally get it. In the meantime make sure you have your own cupboard, fridge shelves, freezer drawer etc. that you can keep clean - and perhaps get a trug that you can just dump their stuff in when you need space to cook or clean your own dishes.
Ashfire45
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mkstudent)
I'm not sure you will be able to move that easily if you have signed a contract. Did you not view the property first?

I think sharing with slobs is a downside of shared university living that just makes you appreciate your own space when you finally get it. In the meantime make sure you have your own cupboard, fridge shelves, freezer drawer etc. that you can keep clean - and perhaps get a trug that you can just dump their stuff in when you need space to cook or clean your own dishes.
Hi! I viewed the flat - nobody had moved in at the time, so it was spotless then. I moved in last, after the other two room mates. Thanks for the advice guys; I'm taking it slow and keeping my own space clean... And just deep breathing for zen. I'll update you on what I decide to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (59)
15.05%
I'm not sure (14)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (133)
33.93%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.53%
I'm not a current university student (180)
45.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise