The Student Room Group

Ruined my final year project

So... As you can tell by the title I messed up my final year project.

I'll start from the beginning, sorry for the essay in advance.

I started my degree doing Japanese and journalism but due to stress I ended up taking a gap year and forgot most of the language by the time I went back and so I was offered to keep half of my credits and do journalism and Media instead, no other course was offered to me and it was this or abandon my degree. So I did journalism and Media and I'll be honest I wasn't particularly passionate about it but I thought better to finish then to leave with nothing to show but debt. So I stuck it out, during my studies I was diagnosed with polycistic ovarian disease, HPV, slipping rib syndrome which I have to have surgery for and after my father passed away I was diagnosed with depression. So I somehow through all of this made it to the end. I really struggled with my final year project and because of the pandemic I didn't feel I got enough support as I couldn't go in to meet with my advisor or see previous works from students. I just sat there and stared at a screen for most days not knowing what to write. My boyfriend wanted me to use a paid writing service but I was dead against it and he even went as far as to pay for it but I held on to my integrity and wrote my own only to get a third, I passed but by one percent. I felt so pathetic after looking at the grade any shred of integrity I had was dissolved. I can't redo my final year because I did a year elsewhere but dropped out to get away from an abusive ex boyfriend. I just feel stuck, what do I do? Do I move on from this and accept it or would I be allowed to just redo the module for my final year project ?
Sorry to hear about your struggles. Move on from if. Pursue something you’re passionate about. You’ll remain unhappy if you’re doing something you have no passion for. Focus from now on doing what you enjoy because this is your future
Reply 2
Original post by Eaphysics
Sorry to hear about your struggles. Move on from if. Pursue something you’re passionate about. You’ll remain unhappy if you’re doing something you have no passion for. Focus from now on doing what you enjoy because this is your future

I agree that you should do something that makes you happy but I still have no idea what that is and I'm coming into an economy where not only am I trying to beat out university students for jobs but candidates that have recently been laid off by other jobs. I've managed to land an internship which pays a pittance for alot of work but otherwise its a desk job 9-5 that I'll have to find. I'm not passionate about journalism but it's an interesting career I could pursue. I just feel like I let myself and my family down and wanted to do my father proud it's really sucky and if I can redo that module I'd like to.

Quick Reply

Latest