charlie300
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am part of the ‘class of covid’, and school ending so abruptly has really affected me. I wasn’t given the grades i needed to get into my first choice or backup uni, so i am taking a year out. Since school has ended i’ve felt like all my friends are just moving on without me and i’ve become so afraid of my future. I’m in a relationship that i’ve been in for over a year and a half and i’m so worried that going to uni will ruin it, me and her have our ups and downs but we really do mean the world to one another and if we broke up it would break me, but at the same time it feels like thats the only way forward for my life, it doesn’t seem sustainable to stay together but i don’t want to break her heart or mine cus shes everything to me. I’m scared that all my friendships are ending and ive had some of them since i was very young. I’m just so confused at the moment with where my life is going and just want to hear other people’s experiences if anyone went through anything similar after sixth form ended.
JohnB1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi Charlie. This has been a challenging year for lots of young people in your position. Finishing school is a big step in growing into a young adult.As you move through life, friends do come and go - our friends tend to come from our social circles, so as you move to Uni, you will form new friendships there, and likewise when you move to a work environment. Some friends will always stay close though, and I'm sure that you will keep in touch with school friends and even visit them at Uni. Are you retaking your exams during your year out, or taking the time to look at other Universities? Long distance relationships can be difficult, but can still work if you mean that much to each other. I don't think there is a need to finish a relationship just because you are going to Uni. If the relationship is strong it will last, if not it will probably fade once you move away, and you will both naturally move on. You are still young, and there are lots of things going on in your life. It often seems over whelming, but take things slowly and I'm sure that things will work out for you. Take care and stay safe.
charlie300
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by JohnB1)
Hi Charlie. This has been a challenging year for lots of young people in your position. Finishing school is a big step in growing into a young adult.As you move through life, friends do come and go - our friends tend to come from our social circles, so as you move to Uni, you will form new friendships there, and likewise when you move to a work environment. Some friends will always stay close though, and I'm sure that you will keep in touch with school friends and even visit them at Uni. Are you retaking your exams during your year out, or taking the time to look at other Universities? Long distance relationships can be difficult, but can still work if you mean that much to each other. I don't think there is a need to finish a relationship just because you are going to Uni. If the relationship is strong it will last, if not it will probably fade once you move away, and you will both naturally move on. You are still young, and there are lots of things going on in your life. It often seems over whelming, but take things slowly and I'm sure that things will work out for you. Take care and stay safe.
Thanks for the reply. I’m (re?)taking maths and physics and have plans to go interrailing with 3 of my mates in april/may time but dunno if that’ll actually go ahead cus of covid. The problem with me applying to uni is that i don’t think my girlfriend is expecting me to move far away as my first choice when i first applied was bristol, which is our nearest city. I don’t think ill get the grades for bristol now though so i’m looking at places like birmingham but dunno how to break it to her ygm?
JohnB1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by charlie300)
Thanks for the reply. I’m (re?)taking maths and physics and have plans to go interrailing with 3 of my mates in april/may time but dunno if that’ll actually go ahead cus of covid. The problem with me applying to uni is that i don’t think my girlfriend is expecting me to move far away as my first choice when i first applied was bristol, which is our nearest city. I don’t think ill get the grades for bristol now though so i’m looking at places like birmingham but dunno how to break it to her ygm?
Talk to her about it mate. I'm sure that she realities that you don't have the grades and are unlikely to get into your first choice. Talk with her about options for other universities. If she feels involved she may be more accepting.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by charlie300)
I am part of the ‘class of covid’, and school ending so abruptly has really affected me. I wasn’t given the grades i needed to get into my first choice or backup uni, so i am taking a year out. Since school has ended i’ve felt like all my friends are just moving on without me and i’ve become so afraid of my future. I’m in a relationship that i’ve been in for over a year and a half and i’m so worried that going to uni will ruin it, me and her have our ups and downs but we really do mean the world to one another and if we broke up it would break me, but at the same time it feels like thats the only way forward for my life, it doesn’t seem sustainable to stay together but i don’t want to break her heart or mine cus shes everything to me. I’m scared that all my friendships are ending and ive had some of them since i was very young. I’m just so confused at the moment with where my life is going and just want to hear other people’s experiences if anyone went through anything similar after sixth form ended.
"shes everything to me." So stick with her. Why are yiu going off to the deep end? You do realise that becoming an adult brings more and different challenges, right? Why does going to uni mean that all your friendships and your gf have to go? Some will and some won't.
LiviLu100
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I completely sympathise with you. I loved being in sixth form and can't imagine not having the opportunity to sit by exams or enjoy the last few months being with my friends. When I left sixth form I was lucky enough to get into my first choice of university. However, 3 months in I knew it really wasn't for me. I realised although I had made friends and found the course interesting, I just couldn't see myself in that career. It was making me exhausted and miserable. Before Christmas I decided to drop out of uni as I just couldn't carry on feeling that way. I had no back up plan and no idea what I was going to do. It was too late to join another course and even then, I had no idea what I even wanted to do. By now all my friends were settled into uni life and I felt depressed, lonely, confused and scared. I was sat at home for months on end until I ended up applying for a higher apprenticeship in marketing (something I had never considered before) and I've never looked back since. It might feel like all your doors are closed at the moment, but something is waiting for you just around the corner, even if that new journey looks different from the one you imagined. Sometimes life has a funny way of directing you on the path that is meant for you.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by LiviLu100)
I completely sympathise with you. I loved being in sixth form and can't imagine not having the opportunity to sit by exams or enjoy the last few months being with my friends. When I left sixth form I was lucky enough to get into my first choice of university. However, 3 months in I knew it really wasn't for me. I realised although I had made friends and found the course interesting, I just couldn't see myself in that career. It was making me exhausted and miserable. Before Christmas I decided to drop out of uni as I just couldn't carry on feeling that way. I had no back up plan and no idea what I was going to do. It was too late to join another course and even then, I had no idea what I even wanted to do. By now all my friends were settled into uni life and I felt depressed, lonely, confused and scared. I was sat at home for months on end until I ended up applying for a higher apprenticeship in marketing (something I had never considered before) and I've never looked back since. It might feel like all your doors are closed at the moment, but something is waiting for you just around the corner, even if that new journey looks different from the one you imagined. Sometimes life has a funny way of directing you on the path that is meant for you.
Yes, uni is not for everyone who happens to be bright! A career that obe will really love and pay the bills is probably best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.78%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (125)
36.66%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (34)
9.97%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.28%

Watched Threads