The Student Room Group

hard maths/baking question

If there is 54% of cocoa powder in 150 grams of dark chocolate whats the percentage of coco powder per gram?
You sure this is the question because the answer is still 54%
Reply 2
Original post by Eaphysics
You sure this is the question because the answer is still 54%

maybe i worded it wrong? i am trying to make brownies and it is asking for dark brown chocolate with 60-70% cocoa i have chocolate that has 54% cocoa, thus i am trying to replace the 6% i need with more dark chocolate which is feasible in theory but i dont know how much more grams of chocolate is needed which is why i am asking.
Original post by we knnow
maybe i worded it wrong? i am trying to make brownies and it is asking for dark brown chocolate with 60-70% cocoa i have chocolate that has 54% cocoa, thus i am trying to replace the 6% i need with more dark chocolate which is feasible in theory but i dont know how much more grams of chocolate is needed which is why i am asking.

Okay now that makes sense. If you want it to be 60% you replace it with 19.6g of cocoa (to 1 decimal place)
Reply 4
Okay now that makes sense. If you want it to be 60% you replace it with 19.6g of cocoa (to 1 decimal place)

sorry what do you mean replace it with cocoa? do you mean include 19.6g of dark chocolate to the already existing 150g of dark chocalate?
sorry what do you mean replace it with cocoa? do you mean include 19.6g of dark chocolate to the already existing 150g of dark chocalate?

List all the ingredients you have so I can make sure I’m telling you the right thing
Reply 6
List all the ingredients you have so I can make sure I’m telling you the right thing

INGREDIENTS

sticks (1¼ cups) unsalted butter, plus more, softened, for greasing

226.796 grams dark chocolate (60-70% cacao), roughly chopped

¾ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, divided

1 tablespoon espresso powder

2 cups granulated sugar

½ cup dark brown sugar, packed

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons kosher salt

6 large eggs

1 cup all-purpose flour
all i am looking to find out is how many grams of chocolate is needed to substitute 6% cocoa?
(edited 3 years ago)
If there is 54% of cocoa powder in 150 grams of dark chocolate whats the percentage of coco powder per gram?

Per gram means 1 gram. 150 grams are 54%. That is to say that 1 gram are 1/150 of the cocoa powder and thus 1/150 of 54%:

150 grams = 54%
1 gram = 54%/150 = 0,36%
Original post by Kallisto
Per gram means 1 gram. 150 grams are 54%. That is to say that 1 gram are 1/150 of the cocoa powder and thus 1/150 of 54%:

150 grams = 54%
1 gram = 54%/150 = 0,36%

That makes no sense at all
That makes no sense at all

So it is not asked for 1 gram in the question at all? tell me what I misunderstood then.
Original post by Kallisto
So it is not asked for 1 gram in the question at all? tell me what I misunderstood then.

Your maths is wrong. I think I finally understand what she meant. If there’s 54% cocoa in 150grams of the chocolate there’s still 54% in one gram. Think about it and you’ll understand

I finally understand what you meant. The answer is you need to buy a stronger strength chocolate lol it’s impossible to get it to 60% by adding more of the same chocolate
In 227g dark chocolate where 60% is cocoa, it suggests there is
0.6 × 227 = 136.2g
There is 136.2g of cocoa in 227g dark chocolate where 60% is cocoa.

You need x amount of dark chocolate where 54% is cocoa
0.54 × X = 136.2g
Rearrange the equation to make X the subject
136.2 ÷ 0.54 = X
136.2 ÷ 0.54 = 252.2g
So you need 252.2g of the dark chocolate with 54% cocoa.

A thing to note is baking is very precise, by adding more of the chocolate it could alter the texture of your bake if you have to melt it as the mixture would be more liquid. If you're keeping the chocolate in chunks, it may be ok. You could just use the same amount of chocolate with your 54% cocoa but it'll just taste slightly different as it'll be less chocolatey.
Original post by nazminexd
In 227g dark chocolate where 60% is cocoa, it suggests there is
0.6 × 227 = 136.2g
There is 136.2g of cocoa in 227g dark chocolate where 60% is cocoa.

You need x amount of dark chocolate where 54% is cocoa
0.54 × X = 136.2g
Rearrange the equation to make X the subject
136.2 ÷ 0.54 = X
136.2 ÷ 0.54 = 252.2g
So you need 252.2g of the dark chocolate with 54% cocoa.

A thing to note is baking is very precise, by adding more of the chocolate it could alter the texture of your bake if you have to melt it as the mixture would be more liquid. If you're keeping the chocolate in chunks, it may be ok. You could just use the same amount of chocolate with your 54% cocoa but it'll just taste slightly different as it'll be less chocolatey.

I’m not sure what you’ve done but it’s impossible to increase it to 60% without altering the ratio of ingredients which messes up what she’s making. I think what she wanted was somehow to increase the concentration to 60% without altering the recipe which is impossible
I’m not sure what you’ve done but it’s impossible to increase it to 60% without altering the ratio of ingredients which messes up what she’s making. I think what she wanted was somehow to increase the concentration to 60% without altering the recipe which is impossible

I agree that it will change the texture of the bake if the chocolate has to be melted. If its just chocolate chunks, there'll just be more chunks distributed in the mixture as chunks are essentially like chocolate chips. However they can choose to just use the same amount of 227g for baking but it'll just taste less rich and less chocolatey.
Original post by nazminexd
I agree that it will change the texture of the bake if the chocolate has to be melted. If its just chocolate chunks, there'll just be more chunks distributed in the mixture as chunks are essentially like chocolate chips. However they can choose to just use the same amount of 227g for baking but it'll just taste less rich and less chocolatey.

Yh if she’s using chunks she can get away with it. If she’s using it for the batter she just has to use what she’s got or nip to the shop and buy a 60% lol
Yh if she’s using chunks she can get away with it. If she’s using it for the batter she just has to use what she’s got or nip to the shop and buy a 60% lol

Hahah definitely!
Reply 17
Your maths is wrong. I think I finally understand what she meant. If there’s 54% cocoa in 150grams of the chocolate there’s still 54% in one gram. Think about it and you’ll understand

im a guy but ok
Reply 18

so what you are telling me that the percentage if dark chocolate to bake the brownies i cant just increase the volume of the chocolate to make it from 54% to 60% and instead i need to buy 60% dark chocolate
so what you are telling me that the percentage if dark chocolate to bake the brownies i cant just increase the volume of the chocolate to make it from 54% to 60% and instead i need to buy 60% dark chocolate

Yup.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest