davidosullivan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does anyone else Have a tight budget this year? My finance doesn’t cover my food shop as it just covers halls, I only have £500 from my savings for semester 1, anyone else with this issue? Trying to get a job.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by davidosullivan)
Does anyone else Have a tight budget this year? My finance doesn’t cover my food shop as it just covers halls, I only have £500 from my savings for semester 1, anyone else with this issue? Trying to get a job.
Is it too late to swap to cheaper Halls? Can you sell anything you don't need?
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Is it too late to swap to cheaper Halls? Can you sell anything you don't
I’m in the cheaper halls, it’s still expensive £89 is the lowest, at this rate if I don’t get a job I’ll have to go back home. I’m hoping I get a job just to eat
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m in the cheaper halls, it’s still expensive £89 is the lowest, at this rate if I don’t get a job I’ll have to go back home. I’m hoping I get a job just to eat
have you checked if a student overdraft is possible until you get a job? and then go through everything you own and see what you could sell.
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
have you checked if a student overdraft is possible until you get a job? and then go through everything you own and see what you could sell.
How can I check? My dad gave me money which is the £500 sadly I didn’t have savings due to losing my job due to Covid. I’m with Santander atm but didn’t get a student account so I don’t think I could get an overdraft.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can I check? My dad gave me money which is the £500 sadly I didn’t have savings due to losing my job due to Covid. I’m with Santander atm but didn’t get a student account so I don’t think I could get an overdraft.
you can apply for a student account with Santander now, unless you've done something to damage your credit history you should have good odds you'd get one.
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
you can apply for a student account with Santander now, unless you've done something to damage your credit history you should have good odds you'd get one.
Sadly I can due to currently having a visa debit account with them and I don’t want to remove that. Is there an alternative better bank to Santander?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
£500 is probably ok for first semester if no unexpected expenses, but won't last much longer...

Not sure what they're doing with student overdrafts these days but worth looking into.

Money from parents? If you're on minimum loan it's because the government expects them to help out. Appreciate it might not be that easy but worth making sure they understand you're getting less money because they have lots of income...

I suspect you're going to need to learn to live very cheaply no matter the outcome.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sadly I can due to currently having a visa debit account with them and I don’t want to remove that. Is there an alternative better bank to Santander?
there's nothing stopping you having a standard current account with them and then opening a separate current account but check out the offers at other banks.
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
there's nothing stopping you having a standard current account with them and then opening a separate current account but check out the offers at other banks.
I asked in the summer and that’s what they said, but gonna ring!
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
I thought this was too much compared to some students but In reality it’s not
davidosullivan
Rep:
?
Is anyone else on a tight budget?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (87)
30.96%
Less motivated (194)
69.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise