The Student Room Group

post-sixth form depression

I am part of the ‘class of covid’, and school ending so abruptly has really affected me. I wasn’t given the grades i needed to get into my first choice or backup uni, so i am taking a year out. Since school has ended i’ve felt like all my friends are just moving on without me and i’ve become so afraid of my future. I’m in a relationship that i’ve been in for over a year and a half and i’m so worried that going to uni will ruin it, me and her have our ups and downs but we really do mean the world to one another and if we broke up it would break me, but at the same time it feels like thats the only way forward for my life, it doesn’t seem sustainable to stay together but i don’t want to break her heart or mine cus shes everything to me. I’m scared that all my friendships are ending and ive had some of them since i was very young. I’m just so confused at the moment with where my life is going and just want to hear other people’s experiences if anyone went through anything similar after sixth form ended.
Original post by charlie300
I am part of the ‘class of covid’, and school ending so abruptly has really affected me. I wasn’t given the grades i needed to get into my first choice or backup uni, so i am taking a year out. Since school has ended i’ve felt like all my friends are just moving on without me and i’ve become so afraid of my future. I’m in a relationship that i’ve been in for over a year and a half and i’m so worried that going to uni will ruin it, me and her have our ups and downs but we really do mean the world to one another and if we broke up it would break me, but at the same time it feels like thats the only way forward for my life, it doesn’t seem sustainable to stay together but i don’t want to break her heart or mine cus shes everything to me. I’m scared that all my friendships are ending and ive had some of them since i was very young. I’m just so confused at the moment with where my life is going and just want to hear other people’s experiences if anyone went through anything similar after sixth form ended.

Hello!
So I’ve just graduated uni this year (waiting for my results to be released in literally an hour😂) and I also took a gap year before going to uni. I was supposed to do a foundation course but the night before I was overwhelmed and didn’t want to go, so I stayed in my part time job and decided to take the year out. During that year I worked a couple of jobs, one of which was in my field that I wanted to study which is great for the CV as when in uni there isn’t always time for that. I understand the feelings of friends moving on, I felt the same, but I have managed to stay in touch with the friends that went to uni ahead of me, and with your gap year there will be opportunity to visit them and get a feel for campus life before you go yourself.
I also went to uni in a relationship, it didn’t work out in the end but I definitely realise it was for the best, he was not prepared to do the travelling and it meant I spent my weekends travelling home all the time. I now have someone who travelled to see me every weekend in my last year, so I would say uni is a good test of a relationship and it becomes more obvious if there are problems or if you really want to make it work.
Also I know it’s very daunting going to uni with all these new people, I didn’t know anyone, I don’t drink and have anxiety so I was scared I wouldn’t meet anyone that wanted to be friends. But I have come away with friends I hope I keep for life, everyone is in the same boat and it’s a whole new friendship when you live with them😂
So overall I know and I’m sure everyone else knows that this is a stressful time to be doing anything, but do not think of a gap year as wasted time, use it to save money, gain experience in potential areas you want to work in, visit your friends. Make sure you apply to uni again before the deadline, maybe keep in touch with a teacher from your sixth form to help with this, you’ll have more to talk about in your personal statement with a gap year too! Best of luck to you, everything will line up and work out ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest