bruhmaster69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I need to have a qualification in the 3 sciences to apply for medicine in my home country, so I need to do IB Physics HL (as a 7th Additional Certificate Subject) or A level Physics along side my IB diploma....... I have already covered most of the content for A level and IB physics on my own, so that is not much of an issue. I'm just confused about whether I should do it as an IB or A level course.

Would universities abroad (e.g. UK) still accept me if I did the IB and an A level in Physics? Or would it be better if I did IB physics as a 7th subject? I'm asking mainly bc my school is finding it hard to timetable IB physics for me, for the whole 2 years, so I might have to do A level.......

This is a really urgent issue so if anyone has any good suggestions pls let me know!!!!!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Universities in the UK won't have an issue with students taking a mix of qualifications. However if you already know you need to take all three sciences and A-levels are an option, I'd suggest just taking the three sciences as A-levels instead of taking a notoriously intensive programme and then having to take additional qualifications on top of it...
bruhmaster69
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Universities in the UK won't have an issue with students taking a mix of qualifications. However if you already know you need to take all three sciences and A-levels are an option, I'd suggest just taking the three sciences as A-levels instead of taking a notoriously intensive programme and then having to take additional qualifications on top of it...
Thanks a lot for the fast reply!!! I would have done that but the problem is that the only affordable, good international school I can attend only offers the IB programme.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bruhmaster69)
Thanks a lot for the fast reply!!! I would have done that but the problem is that the only affordable, good international school I can attend only offers the IB programme, which was why I'm kinda stuck in this situation XD
How would you have the choice between an A-level in Physics and IB HL Physics in this case then? I'm a bit confused...surely if your only option is IB then the question is moot?

Also is there a reason you have to attend a (presumably private) international school?
bruhmaster69
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
How would you have the choice between an A-level in Physics and IB HL Physics in this case then? I'm a bit confused...surely if your only option is IB then the question is moot?

Also is there a reason you have to attend a (presumably private) international school?
I'd have to self study A level and then find an exam centre to do it at (with the help of my school). I had the option of doing IB HL physics if my timetable would allow it for the next 2 years but that possibility seems to be diminishing now, which was why I asked if it'd be ok if I could do A level physics as an additional qualification.

I've been at that school for sometime now so moving would be too difficult since its the only decent school within my locality and my parents can't move bc of their jobs.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bruhmaster69)
I'd have to self study A level and then find an exam centre to do it at (with the help of my school). I had the option of doing IB HL physics if my timetable would allow it for the next 2 years but that possibility seems to be diminishing now, which was why I asked if it'd be ok if I could do A level physics as an additional qualification.

I've been at that school for sometime now so moving would be too difficult since its the only decent school within my locality and my parents can't move bc of their jobs.
Well, I guess just go with whichever option is possible in the end...neither option is better nor worse as far as UK universities are concerned (it might not even form part of an offer unless you're applying for something which requires A-level or IB HL Physics specifically, e.g. engineering or physics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.03%
No (199)
78.97%

Watched Threads