Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Hello and welcome to my blog!

Who are you? :hmmmm2:
Spoiler:
Show

I go by the name 'Mimi' :cool:

(Note: not my real name - for security purposes )

What's your GCSE & A-level grades?

Spoiler:
Show

GCSE:

Maths - A*

English Literature - A*

Business - A*

RE - A*

Biology - A

Physics - A

Further maths - A

Geography - A

Chemistry - B

English Language - B

A-level:

Maths - A

Chemistry - B (4 marks off an A)

Biology - B

Business -B

What are you studying? :work:

Spoiler:
Show
Pharmacy (MPharm) - going into 2nd year

Which uni do you go to? :kart:

Spoiler:
Show
It's a secret.

Just joking :giggle:

Answer is in the next question! :wink2:

What does your blog title mean? :ms:

Spoiler:
Show
My title is a reference to the song Puff the magic dragon

It was a song that I sang in primary school.

But how on earth does this relate to anything?

Well the dragon reference is meant to represent my one and only uni: Cardiff University :lolz: This is why I gave the dragon green eyes (welsh flag)

I kind of think it's destiny that I sang that song and ended up going to Cardiff :gah:

Tell me about your banner?

Spoiler:
Show

Ooo thanks for asking!

It took somewhere between 4-5 hours to draw and edit.

When I used to sing this song in primary school, I always imagined a dragon puffing like in my banner. Only recently when I listened to the song again, and read the lyrics, I realised the dragon is called Puff!

Is this your first GYG blog?

Spoiler:
Show
No. My first entry was like 3 years ago from a different account, with like 2 posts, which I've forgotten the username and password to

But I do run a study blog which I started a month ago. I was going to end it after starting this GYG blog but I have decided to keep it because I want to (occasionally) post more in-depth pharmacy orientated stuff there.

Why are you entering GYG?(what's your purpose?)

Spoiler:
Show
Prize

Like everyone else, I am entering to improve my motivation, knowledge and grades :awesome:

My goals for this year:

Study/ study related

1. Keep up with the work load (last year I struggled quite a bit) - make sure to go through the lecture notes on the same day.

2. Do all the pre-readings set

3. If some lectures are related (i.e. a topic is divided into multiple lectures), make sure to look over the notes from the previous lectures, either on the day or the day before.

4. Go over the lectures before the workshops

5. Manage time well and basically stop procrastinating

Non-study

1. Join archery club or taekwondo .. or some kind of sports club (?)

2. Join the Japanese language course (free in our uni)

3. Learn to cook new dishes

4. Sleep earlier! - Just go to sleep Mimi! 6am here I come! not even in my dreams

Tell me a little bit about you?

Spoiler:
Show

This is kind of copied from my other blog

1. Hobbies: playing PUBG, embroidery, learning Japanese, youtube, reading the news LOL

2. I work as a dispensing assistant at a community pharmacy

3. I am a little shy

4. I sleep late - you'll probably catch me uploading at like 12am or 1am (please tell me to go to sleep then and there!)

5. I like to number my posts and give them headings

6. I sometimes write in 3rd person - referring to myself as Mimi

Why do you use emojis so much?

Spoiler:
Show

Yes. :banana:
You'll find me using a lot of emojis throughout my posts!

Thanks for reading!

:party:

Last edited by dream_high; 1 month ago
Reviser101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dream_high)

Hello and welcome to my blog!

Who are you? :hmmmm2:
Spoiler:
Show

I go by the name 'Mimi' :cool:

(Note: not my real name - for security purposes )

What's your GCSE & A-level grades?

Spoiler:
Show

GCSE:

Maths - A*

English Literature - A*

Business - A*

RE - A*

Biology - A

Physics - A

Further maths - A

Geography - A

Chemistry - B

English Language - B

A-level:

Maths - A

Chemistry - B (4 marks off an A)

Biology - B

Business -B

What are you studying? :work:

Spoiler:
Show
Pharmacy (MPharm) - going into 2nd year

Which uni do you go to? :kart:

Spoiler:
Show
It's a secret.

Just joking :giggle:

Answer is in the next question! :wink2:

What does your blog title mean? :ms:

Spoiler:
Show
My title is a reference to the song Puff the magic dragon

It was a song that I sang in primary school.

But how on earth does this relate to anything?

Well the dragon reference is meant to represent my one and only uni: Cardiff University :lolz: This is why I gave the dragon green eyes (welsh flag)

I kind of think it's destiny that I sang that song and ended up going to Cardiff :gah:

Tell me about your banner?

Spoiler:
Show

Ooo thanks for asking!

It took somewhere between 4-5 hours to draw and edit.

When I used to sing this song in primary school, I always imagined a dragon puffing like in my banner. Only recently when I listened to the song again, and read the lyrics, I realised the dragon is called Puff!

Is this your first GYG blog?

Spoiler:
Show
No. My first entry was like 3 years ago from a different account, with like 2 posts, which I've forgotten the username and password to

But I do run a study blog which I started a month ago. I was going to end it after starting this GYG blog but I have decided to keep it because I want to (occasionally) post more in-depth pharmacy orientated stuff there.

Why are you entering GYG?(what's your purpose?)

Spoiler:
Show
Prize

Like everyone else, I am entering to improve my motivation, knowledge and grades :awesome:

My goals for this year:

Study/ study related

1. Keep up with the work load (last year I struggled quite a bit) - make sure to go through the lecture notes on the same day.

2. Do all the pre-readings set

3. If some lectures are related (i.e. a topic is divided into multiple lectures), make sure to look over the notes from the previous lectures, either on the day or the day before.

4. Go over the lectures before the workshops

5. Manage time well and basically stop procrastinating

Non-study

1. Join archery club or taekwondo .. or some kind of sports club (?)

2. Join the Japanese language course (free in our uni)

3. Learn to cook new dishes

4. Sleep earlier! - Just go to sleep Mimi! 6am here I come! not even in my dreams

Tell me a little bit about you?

Spoiler:
Show

This is kind of copied from my other blog

1. Hobbies: playing PUBG, embroidery, learning Japanese, youtube, reading the news LOL

2. I work as a dispensing assistant at a community pharmacy

3. I am a little shy

4. I sleep late - you'll probably catch me uploading at like 12am or 1am (please tell me to go to sleep then and there!)

Why do you use emojis so much?

Spoiler:
Show

Yes. :banana:
You'll find me using a lot of emojis throughout my posts!

Thanks for reading!

:party:

I can from your other blog. I’m so excited to see what you write in this one. Good luck with second year!!
dream_high
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reviser101)
I can from your other blog. I’m so excited to see what you write in this one. Good luck with second year!!
Yes, I recognise your username! Thanks for coming to support my blog :heart:

I am also excited to share everything with you 😊 (both ups and downs).
dream_high
Rep:
?
Post 1

One step closer to my goals

Helloooo! :rave:
I am super excited to open my blog with some good news :banana:. One of my (non-study) goals this year was to join the free ‘language course’ offered at our uni, specifically Japanese. I was casually checking my uni email today (which I don’t do on the daily) and the uni had literally just sent an email about learning a language. It turns out the sign-up period opened today! Telepathy?? :dancing: I signed up for the Japanese beginner’s course (lowest level). Currently, my level of Japanese goes as far as recognising some of the hiragana characters (thanks to Duolingo). Let’s not even talk about katakana :ahee: haha. However, I have not been enrolled as of yet, so hold your horses Mimi! I received an email shortly after signing up saying I would be notified if I get accepted. I recognise some language courses may be oversubscribed but I wonder how they select from the students :iiam:. Anyways, I will update when I get accepted / rejected . The 2 hours (weekly) course will be taking place online but I’m not sure if this is due to the corona or if it’s always been like this.. :hmmmm:
I hope I can continue taking steps towards my goals - both study and non-study :heart:
dream_high
Rep:
?

Post 2

Short life update
:cyber:

It has been 4 days since I moved into my new accommodation. I love my new accommodation as it’s newly refurbished and the location is perfect :love:. It’s approx. 17 mins from my uni (pharmacy) building, 11 mins from town and 14 mins from Lidl (according to my good friend google maps :hippie:). Someone better not be trying to track my location haha :vroam:. Plus, I love the fact that I’m living with two good friends this year - one is my flatmate from 1st year and the other is a friend from the same home town (whom I met in college). :dancing2:

In terms of uni, my induction is taking place (online) the week commencing 28th September whilst proper, physical lessons are starting from 5th October. However, whole class lectures will not be taking place on campus, which is kind of sad but understandable :sadnod:. We’ve also been told that some teachings may start as early as 8am!! NoOooOoo :bawling:. Last year, the earliest start time was 9 am which I struggled with :broken:. As you can tell, I am definitely NOT an early bird..BUT..maybe... it’s time for a change?? *dramatic music cue*(On that note, I slept at like 3:30 am yesterday :pwnd:).
dream_high
Rep:
?

Post 3

Healthier living :leaf:

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to start off with an apology as this is another non-study post :ashamed:. I started revising (first year stuff) over the holidays but ever since I’ve moved into my new accommodation, I haven’t done any revision. I am planning to start revising again from tomorrow so look out for my revision post!

As you can see from the title, I have decided that I want to live a healthier life at uni this year (unlike last year :pizza: ). Yesterday, I watched some YouTube videos on healthy meals and wrote down a list of ingredients that I want to buy. Today I went to Lidl to do the food shopping. Here's some stuff that I got.

I decided to cook salmon with lemon butter for today's dinner (following this video) with some carrots and parsnips at the side. It wasn’t perfect but it was still tasty :tong:. I kind of burnt the salmon a little because I like to cook longer than recommended, just to be safe :hahaha: There wasn’t enough lemon juice / sauce as I decided to use 1 lemon instead of 2 (go me ).

I guess this is another contribution to one of my goals: ‘cooking new dishes’. YAY. GO (ME! x 2) :danceboy:. Oh, and I managed to save £5 because I signed up for 'Lidl plus' :lovedup: #student life.

SO.....I was on amazon earlier.. and I just happened to see a fitness tracker / watch on sale :teeth:. And before I knew it.. it's en route! :mmm: Of course I bought it with the intention of becoming healthier *cough* lose weight *cough* – cause Mimi really needs it after gaining weight during lock down :argh:

See you tomorrow! :yeah:
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

Post 4

Finally a study post! :woo:

The moment we’ve all been waiting for: a study post! :teeth:

So today, I started revising at around 11 am until half 12 (1 hr 30 mins straight) before taking an extremely long lunch break. I was actually planning to follow the pomodoro technique (the 50 mins of revision and 10 mins break one) but I got carried away :eek4:. I revised the ‘cardiovascular and respiratory’ topic. It was pretty interesting, and I enjoyed this lecture . I was watching back the lecture recording whilst taking notes from the lecture slides and I have to say, the lecturer was amazing! :headbang:There are some lecturers who just read out what’s on the PowerPoint so I don’t bother watching them :bored:, however the extra details that this lecturer provided really helped me understand the concept better. In total it took 2 hrs 15 mins to finish that one lecture which I’m a little surprised about (as there weren't many slides) :zomg: but that just shows me how much extra (helpful) details he gave us.

Oh and this is what I had for lunch today:

A healthy tuna salad! In terms of taste… it definitely isn’t my preference :nah: but hey.. trying to live that healthy life :wink2:

Just earlier, I finished making some flashcards based on the lecture that I went through today. In case you don’t know, I love flashcards!

Whilst making the flashcards, I realised there are some stuff that I haven’t fully understood, so I’m planning to watch some YouTube videos and do some research on it tomorrow.

Ok that's all from (me x 2). Good night. :sleep:
Last edited by dream_high; 4 weeks ago
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Post 5
Tips for 1st years moving into uni halls
:auto:

Hello everyone . It’s that time of the year where some people will be moving to uni soon or you may have done so already! I would like to share some tips and advice for those moving into 1st year uni halls. I have compiled some stuff which some of you may have thought of or done already but none the less, here we go:

1. Take pics of any damage + report it to residence people / reception
  • some unis may ask you to do this through the intranet or you can email them / tell reception.
  • This is important if you want to avoid being charged for something you didn’t do. Make sure to thoroughly check your room + flat
2. Wipe down all surfaces
  • You have no idea what could have happened on that desk (jks). But seriously, we don’t know about the hygiene of the person before you. And, especially during Covid crisis, I would highly recommend wiping down surfaces with antibacterial wipes.
3. Hoover
  • The cleaners may have cleaned the room end of June or maybe did not hoover at all. Hoover to get rid of dust for you health.
4. Clean toilet
  • Whether you have ensuite or share a bathroom, clean it before use! Again, who knows who sat on that seat and whether it is clean. I just sound like some clean freak :lol: haha
5. Fridge space
  • This is kind of a personal experience. Basically, do not go for the bottom one which usually has 2 smaller drawers!
  • I took that for 1st year and it was a struggle. There is so much less space here. Just go for one whole row
6. Bin rota!
  • Make sure to have a black bin rota of who is changing the bin each week or the order you decide to change it (at least ensure everyone is contributing)
  • During 1st year, our flat didn’t do this, so at one point I ended up changing the bin 5 times in a row :mad:
7. Shared bathroom
  • If you are sharing bathrooms, consider whether you want to share toilet paper
  • Individual vs share
  • Either buy together or use your own
  • If you buy individually but share, it'll be a struggle!
8. Get to know your flat mates
  • Exchange social media and phone numbers (if comfortable)
  • You may become great friends with your flatmates AND they can be of great help in the case that you get locked out or need something
  • Like me, you may even live with one or more of them in 2nd year
9. Try to find route to uni
  • Whether it’s by google maps or trying your luck, try to find the best route to uni. This can be beneficial so that you don’t get lost or become late on your first day
  • You can also get to know the surrounding areas – look for nearby shops and restaurants etc.
10. Find course mates in the same accommodation
  • You can walk to uni together
  • Or maybe revise together for an upcoming test
11. Security info
  • If you’re given security info or receptor info, save it on your phone! You may need it in the future for some unknown reason.
12. Enjoy your stay.
  • Chill, have fun, make great friends or enjoy time alone if you’re like me haha.
  • It's ok to be nervous! You're all in new unfamiliar place but it'll be ok :grouphugs:

Stay safe everyone :heart:
Last edited by dream_high; 4 weeks ago
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Post 6

Waiting for uni to start

:bebored:
Helloo,

It’s been a while (4 days to be exact). Unfortunately, I have not been as productive as post 4 :bawling:. I did watch some videos around that the heart (by KhanAcademy) which was helpful. From the time span of post 4 till today (1 week), I have finished 2 other lectures (blood pressure and blood vessels). My ideal goal is to do at least one lecture everyday so I am a little disappointed with myself. :unimpressed:

So what have I been doing? :curious:

My final flatmate (friend) moved in on Monday unexpectedly. I had no clue she was coming as she didn’t tell me the date to ‘surprise’ me (which she certainly did)! Ever since she arrived, we’ve been going out shopping for food, storage, decors etc. It was really fun going shopping together but not so fun for my bank account :pwnd:. On the bright side, my room now looks better and we were able to burn calories walking so much. :party: I also bought an indoor plant from M&S for my desk. Look how cute it is!!
I have no idea what it's called and it's not on the little card either. Any plant enthusiast care to tell me?

Induction next week

So, I have online induction next week but I'm pretty sure it’s not live (like zoom or skype or anything like that). I think the uni is just releasing some videos we have to watch and then there’s going to be a Q&A or something on another day. I guess next week is going to be chill :cool: Woohooo :yeah: More time to revise too!:woo: On another note, city is going on a lock down soon :broken:
Last edited by dream_high; 3 weeks ago
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Post 7

Induction week

Hello everyone

So this week is my induction week. On monday, a series of induction video were released on our student intranet. Then on wednesday, there was a live Q&A session which took place through zoom. I didn't realise until after the Q&A that I had actually missed out on one of the videos - oops! :doh:I have no other uni activity this week, so it's going to be chill just like I predicted :cool: . I have completed some more lectures around the 'cardiac and respiratory system' topic since the last update (yay). However, I still need to make flashcards for some of the lecture to test my knowledge.

Also, it was announced that (due to Covid) lockers will be unavailable to students this year which is a shame! So tomorrow, we have to pick up anything we have in our lockers (in the time slot we booked). In mine, I have my lab coat, BNF and I believe a shopping bag Our uni is also providing everyone with 2 reusable face masks so I'll be picking that up along the way! :lovedup:

There are many (somewhat) surprising changes happening. For example, unlike last year when I was in uni practically everyday, I will only be in uni (on campus) once a week (max twice) for the first semester! I did not think the contact hours would be reduced by this much :zomg:. Also, something new that is happening in MPharm 2 is that we will be having tutorials (very small groups) this year - possibly due to covid? I never had a single tutorial last year so this will be a new experience to me. Of course these are just a few changes that I've listed. The uni and school of pharmacy (understandably) have so many more strict regulations in place.

Anyways, thanks for reading my short update.

Good night all. Sweet dreams :sleep:
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Post 8

And so uni begins...

Oh my, it sure has been a while! :cyber: Uni has officially begun :rave:

This year I have 4 modules (technically 5 but one module is just pass or fail).

My 4 modules are:
  • Formulation science
  • Clinical and professional pharmacy
  • Diseases and drugs
  • Principles of drug design and drug disposition

I have 10 lessons to complete this week. I say lessons but it means something more.. some are just Powerpoint slides with podcast videos whilst others are a combination of different things e.g. slides, YouTube videos, links to websites, online packages, quizzes etc. So far, I have completed 8/10 lessons which is good :yes: (hopefully I’ll finish the other two tomorrow). The module I have enjoyed the most so far is ‘clinical and professional pharmacy’. This is probably because I have understood the content well given that I work in community pharmacy, so I have done and seen some of the things in practice. On the other hand, 'formulation science' was just.. no words! :stupid: I mean for a start, the PowerPoint had 71 slides... I definitely need to go over everything again. My action plan is to watch some YouTube videos and do further reading around it, because what even was that!? That power point was one of the rare ones (or maybe the only one?) that didn't have any podcast videos, so it made it even harder to understand :banghead: LOL

This week, I didn't have any online tutorials or face-to-face on campus teaching. However next week, I have one face to face (at 8am!! Mimi is so dead :pwnd:) and then a few online tutorials. I don’t know about everyone else, but I have been enjoying this online format (to an extent) as I get to decide my own schedule. I enjoy doing it at my own pace – having the power to click and pause whenever I want – and being in my own comfort space (i.e. my lovely bed, sofa and desk).

In regards to the Japanese course, I have been accepted! Woohooo :woo: I am just waiting for further updates on when it starts etc.

I just had a quick read of my previous post and I must say I had an emotional (not really) farewell with my locker :cry2:. We had to had in our keys, which I wasn't expecting :zomg: (thought we were just picking up our stuff from our locker). My locker was one of the big ones- situated closely to the labs. You will be greatly missed.

OK. That is all for now.

I will see you all soon (hopefully less than one week! Maybe even tomorrow )

Goodnight
Last edited by dream_high; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (46)
16.03%
I'm not sure (8)
2.79%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.84%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.39%
I'm not a current university student (129)
44.95%

Watched Threads