Esimm03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hey,
Im a year 13 student taking geography, English, and History, alongside an EPQ, and I want to study Geography and / With Economics at university.

From my summer research, the three main universities I like that offer this corse are Aberdeen, S.t Andrews, and Loughborough ( i know other universities offer this corse, but these three have a mix of human/physical geography - which is what I'm after).

I was hoping to get AAB or AAA for my predicted grades, with my B being in English. In my end of term assessments, I achieved AAD (D was in English, and there's a reason I got low in that particular exam, in normal assessments I'm constantly getting As and Bs). and this week teachers are giving us the grades they'll be submitting to UCAS as our predictions. Today I got my history grade, which was a B, I'm annoyed at it, as I think I will be predicted a B in English as well, so I might be looking at ABB, which is not enough for Loughborough or s.t Andrews.

My question is, Is there any point in applying to Loughborough (AAB) or saint Andrews (AAA/AAB) if I get predictions of ABB? or do they not take predictions massively seriously, allowing some leeway of a grade or so, meaning I'll potentially get an offer, and then I can go if I get the required grades at the end of the year?

I also have a fair amount of extracurricular activities under my belt, I'm a perfectionist at my sixth form, a leader on my school's environmental committee, doing an EPQ on the economic impact of SARS, I did a Level 5 TEFL corse during Lockdown (not related to my subject but shows time management and initiative). I'm hoping that these extra activities possibly will make up for a grade? especially if I get an A in my EPQ (submitting it in a few weeks, will know by Xmas)

Thanks,
Ethan
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
Hey,
Im a year 13 student taking geography, English, and History, alongside an EPQ, and I want to study Geography and / With Economics at university.

From my summer research, the three main universities I like that offer this corse are Aberdeen, S.t Andrews, and Loughborough ( i know other universities offer this corse, but these three have a mix of human/physical geography - which is what I'm after).

I was hoping to get AAB or AAA for my predicted grades, with my B being in English. In my end of term assessments, I achieved AAD (D was in English, and there's a reason I got low in that particular exam, in normal assessments I'm constantly getting As and Bs). and this week teachers are giving us the grades they'll be submitting to UCAS as our predictions. Today I got my history grade, which was a B, I'm annoyed at it, as I think I will be predicted a B in English as well, so I might be looking at ABB, which is not enough for Loughborough or s.t Andrews.

My question is, Is there any point in applying to Loughborough (AAB) or saint Andrews (AAA/AAB) if I get predictions of ABB? or do they not take predictions massively seriously, allowing some leeway of a grade or so, meaning I'll potentially get an offer, and then I can go if I get the required grades at the end of the year?

I also have a fair amount of extracurricular activities under my belt, I'm a perfectionist at my sixth form, a leader on my school's environmental committee, doing an EPQ on the economic impact of SARS, I did a Level 5 TEFL corse during Lockdown (not related to my subject but shows time management and initiative). I'm hoping that these extra activities possibly will make up for a grade? especially if I get an A in my EPQ (submitting it in a few weeks, will know by Xmas)

Thanks,
Ethan
from my experience Loughborough will likely take you with one grade lower - unis are desperate for students' money these days
historynerd47
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I would give it a go but make sure you have a couple of unis in there with lower entry requirements just in case
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Esimm03,

We are excited to hear you are considering Loughborough University! It is definitely worth still applying for an undergraduate programme with ABB predictions as it is impossible to know what other applications will be received and the number of places available. There are many factors that are considered by the admissions team, but I would definitely suggest highlighting any extra-curricular activities, work or volunteer experience or anything thing else to highlight what you could bring to the University and why you'd make a great student!

Good luck with your application!
Ella
McGinger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
1. a mix of human/physical geography - which is what I'm after).

2 I might be looking at ABB predictions, which is not enough for Loughborough or s.t Andrews. Is there any point in applying to Loughborough (AAB) or saint Andrews (AAA/AAB) if I get predictions of ABB? ...........especially if I get an A in my EPQ (submitting it in a few weeks, will know by Xmas.
1) Also look at Bristol - they do a combo of human and physical Geog - especially if you qualify for the Lower contextual offer grades - but they may still consider you with ABB for a standard offer if you are taking the right subjects. https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...bsc-geography/

2) Apply to both Loughborough and St Andrews. St Andrews is a risk but one worth taking if your other choices are more in line with your predictions. Just remember that they will want those higher grades in August.

The usual advice re. choices is
1 risky choice
3 at your predicted grades (you should get offers)
At least 1 choice with lower grade requirements - this is your potential Insurance choice.

If you are interested in Geography/Economics together - have a look at courses in International Development as this combines both subjects into a very useful degree. Here are examples :
UEA with a variety of subject combinations - https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/school-o...al-development
Sussex - International Development with Geography or Economics : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...=international
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.29%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.69%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (123)
36.61%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise