Esimm03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
I'm currently in year 13, studying geography, History, and English, and I've always just sort of assumed I'd go and do a geography degree at university, as that is my best subject, and I enjoy it.

However, I'm concerned about the job prospects the degree holds, I'm really not sure what I want to do after university, however after doing some reassert, the typical jobs that you get with a geography degree aren't for me. I've also heard that it is viewed as a bit of an 'easy degree', or a 'coloring in' degree, and while I don't agree with this, would this image possibly hurt my chances of employment upon graduating?

I'm doing my EPQ on an economics subject (the impact of Disease on the economy), and I have quite enjoyed learning about economics, so much so that I've been reading around it, learning about things not required as a part of my EPQ research, would my a-levels be suitable to get onto an economics degree? I also got a 5 in GCSE maths, which I know will work against me in applying for Economics, however, I hope that my EPQ might compensate for this, as it has given me a basic grounding in the subject?

Alternatively, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a degree that might suit my a-levels, I'm not too interested in doing history or English at degree level.

Many Thanks,
Ethan
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I had a look at economics at a variety of unis and most good ones expect maths A-level, some allow applicants without it but want GCSE at Grade 7, e.g. Birmingham: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...equirementsTab
I think it might require some out of the box thinking to find the right degree for you, which only you can do. Most straight subjects (e.g. history, geography, biology) will have specific requirements at good universities and you aren't interested in the ones you will have qualifications in. So I would recommend working the other way round- what career do you want and how will you get there? E.g. a more vocational subject which is career suited and not an A-level. This is way too broad for anyone to list
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
Hi,
I'm currently in year 13, studying geography, History, and English, and I've always just sort of assumed I'd go and do a geography degree at university, as that is my best subject, and I enjoy it.

However, I'm concerned about the job prospects the degree holds, I'm really not sure what I want to do after university, however after doing some reassert, the typical jobs that you get with a geography degree aren't for me. I've also heard that it is viewed as a bit of an 'easy degree', or a 'coloring in' degree, and while I don't agree with this, would this image possibly hurt my chances of employment upon graduating?

I'm doing my EPQ on an economics subject (the impact of Disease on the economy), and I have quite enjoyed learning about economics, so much so that I've been reading around it, learning about things not required as a part of my EPQ research, would my a-levels be suitable to get onto an economics degree? I also got a 5 in GCSE maths, which I know will work against me in applying for Economics, however, I hope that my EPQ might compensate for this, as it has given me a basic grounding in the subject?

Alternatively, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a degree that might suit my a-levels, I'm not too interested in doing history or English at degree level.

Many Thanks,
Ethan
Hi @Esimm03,

I hope you are well,

I believe I commented on your previous thread which you posted a couple of months ago.

It is great that you have come back to The Student Room for further advice.

I am going to try and help answer your first query.

The jobs which you have looked at, are they “directly” related to your degree? Areas where a Geography degree would be useful which you may have not thought off include:
• Astronomer
• International aid/development worker
• Landscape architect
• Logistics and distribution manager
• Market researcher
• Political risk analyst
• Sustainability consultant
• Tourism officer
• Transport planner

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...gree/geography

Another thing to consider is the transferable skills you will likely gain as a Geography graduate. According to the Royal Geographic Society “the skills, knowledge and understanding gained during a geography degree held in high regard by employers.”

https://www.rgs.org/geography/choose...employability/

I would also take a look at the Royal Geographic Society’s report about the demand for Geography undergraduates.

https://www.rgs.org/getattachment/Ge...df/?lang=en-GB

To help answer your second query, have you considered taking a joint honours degree like Geography and Economics? You may want to check each universities entry requirements at each they don’t require A Level Economics to apply.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision making.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads