dariahiguchi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, is there is anyone here doing online MS in Computer Science at York?
How do you find the course so far? Is it worth the money and time?
elsap0p
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dariahiguchi)
Hi, is there is anyone here doing online MS in Computer Science at York?
How do you find the course so far? Is it worth the money and time?
There is a really long thread about York and other online CS courses. Search for:
"Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York"

I chose to do the online MSc with Glyndwr University. Only been doing it one week, but seems organised and the tutor is active on the forums so far.
dariahiguchi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by elsap0p)
There is a really long thread about York and other online CS courses. Search for:
"Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York"

I chose to do the online MSc with Glyndwr University. Only been doing it one week, but seems organised and the tutor is active on the forums so far.
Wow, seems like the reviews arent really nice.
Paoc
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dariahiguchi)
Wow, seems like the reviews arent really nice.
I am due to start on 2nd November, I looked at Wrexham but its a terrible University. I would prefer a degree from York or Bath or just not to bother.
elsap0p
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Paoc)
I am due to start on 2nd November, I looked at Wrexham but its a terrible University. I would prefer a degree from York or Bath or just not to bother.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Everyone has different requirements and at Postgraduate level you are doing self-study anyway, so what you learn is relative to the effort you put in. You just get guidance from a Uni as to where to start and what to focus on.
If I were looking to get into computer science a BSc is the best way to go in my opinion (or boot camp). I'm just too impatient to spend 6 years (part-time) doing a BSc (and they cost more because they take longer and have more teaching). These convertion MSc's are really for people who work in IT but don't have the formal education.
Last edited by elsap0p; 2 weeks ago
Paoc
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by elsap0p)
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Everyone has different requirements and at Postgraduate level you are doing self-study anyway, so what you learn is relative to the effort you put in. You just get guidance from a Uni as to where to start and what to focus on.
If I were looking to get into computer science a BSc is the best way to go in my opinion (or boot campt). I'm just too impatient to spend 6 years (part-time) doing a BSc (and they cost more because they take longer and have more teaching). These conversjon MSc's are really for people who work in IT but don't have the formal education.
Thanks, I already have a BSc in a computer related subject (distributed systems) although from 15 years ago, really I just wanted a masters degree as an achievement but have been spooked by the negativity.. right now I am still planning to continue with York but looked at Wrexham too.
YorkMScCS
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm about to drop out of the York MSc after one module. It's cheap, and York have a good reputation so it won't look bad on your CV, but that's pretty much all it has going for it.

The content, tutors and assessments (most modules are assessed by a single essay, no practical work or exams) are all dismal. Essential foundational stuff such as linear algebra is completely missing. Honestly, I think the average graduate of this course will be in for a shock when they start interviewing for CS positions, they won't even be capable of junior dev work without further training.

I wish the earlier students had publicised the issues sooner, as I wouldn't have wasted £650 and 2 months if I'd known how poor the course is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads