Recently graduated uni - how to get academic references for jobs?

Watch
anonymous_7899
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I graduated university earlier this year and of course there are problems with the current job market but I have found a couple of positions which require two academic references. I wasn't very close with any of my lecturers or my personal tutor (maybe one of them knew my name because I had a module with only 10 other students), so I'm not so sure how to go about asking any of them. Plus my uni email is inactive now so I would have to send it from my personal address. I just don't know how to go about asking anyone and I'm not sure if any of them would actually do it, or do you think that they would be more willing to give references because of the current situation? I'm a bit concerned since a friend emailed one of the lecturer's a couple of weeks ago and got a reply saying she was out of the office until the end of September and she couldn't get into a last minute MSc as a result.

Any ideas?
Student guest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by anonymous_7899)
I graduated university earlier this year and of course there are problems with the current job market but I have found a couple of positions which require two academic references. I wasn't very close with any of my lecturers or my personal tutor (maybe one of them knew my name because I had a module with only 10 other students), so I'm not so sure how to go about asking any of them. Plus my uni email is inactive now so I would have to send it from my personal address. I just don't know how to go about asking anyone and I'm not sure if any of them would actually do it, or do you think that they would be more willing to give references because of the current situation? I'm a bit concerned since a friend emailed one of the lecturer's a couple of weeks ago and got a reply saying she was out of the office until the end of September and she couldn't get into a last minute MSc as a result.

Any ideas?
do you have to email them though. i just give the job their emails thats it.
anonymous_7899
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Student guest)
do you have to email them though. i just give the job their emails thats it.
For real?! You literally just put your lecturers' emails down without asking them if they would be available to give the reference? Idk, I'd be pretty scared if they didn't write one or disregarded the email that the employer sent.

But how did it work out for you then? I guess I may have to do it too since I'm running out of time.
Student guest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by anonymous_7899)
For real?! You literally just put your lecturers' emails down without asking them if they would be available to give the reference? Idk, I'd be pretty scared if they didn't write one or disregarded the email that the employer sent.

But how did it work out for you then? I guess I may have to do it too since I'm running out of time.
Yhh I’m 19 and I’ve had like 3 jobs before this and volunteering aswell and I didn’t even know we had to ask so I just gave their email without asking. Or maybe it depends when you graduate it’s different not sure but I’ve given my teachers emails without them knowing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.21%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.47%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (114)
35.85%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.06%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
5.35%

Watched Threads