Eligibility for student finance when returning to study part-time

Watch
chrisb10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I previously studied a full-time BA in Journalism & History back in 2006 however I dropped out mid-way through my second year so I never graduated. I had two years of student finance.

I was recently offered a place at Birkbeck to study BA in Psychosocial Studies & Principles of Psychodynamic Counselling on a part-time basis (4 years.)
I have already applied for the tuition fee loan via Student Finance, however I am worried that I am not eligible for any funding due to my previous studies.

Can anyone provide some guidance? Will I be eligible for any support with tuition fees from Student Finance?
I know some courses are classed as 'exempt' and Birkbeck advised my course would be 'ELQ Exempt' however what does this mean for my finances - will I still get funding to cover my tuition fees for the full four years of my course or will it only be partial funding due to my previous studies?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thank you
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chrisb10)
I previously studied a full-time BA in Journalism & History back in 2006 however I dropped out mid-way through my second year so I never graduated. I had two years of student finance.

I was recently offered a place at Birkbeck to study BA in Psychosocial Studies & Principles of Psychodynamic Counselling on a part-time basis (4 years.)
I have already applied for the tuition fee loan via Student Finance, however I am worried that I am not eligible for any funding due to my previous studies.

Can anyone provide some guidance? Will I be eligible for any support with tuition fees from Student Finance?
I know some courses are classed as 'exempt' and Birkbeck advised my course would be 'ELQ Exempt' however what does this mean for my finances - will I still get funding to cover my tuition fees for the full four years of my course or will it only be partial funding due to my previous studies?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thank you
Hi, the HECoS code for this course is 100498 and is an exception course. Your previous study will not affect your eligibility for funding.
Thanks, Isaac
chrisb10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, the HECoS code for this course is 100498 and is an exception course. Your previous study will not affect your eligibility for funding.
Thanks, Isaac
That's great - thank you very much for answering and for the reassurance!
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chrisb10)
That's great - thank you very much for answering and for the reassurance!
You're welcome. I hope you have a great day, good luck with your studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads