The Student Room Group

Further Pure 1 (Edexcel A-level further maths)

For anyone who has studied Further Pure 1 / knows someone who has studied it, how difficult did you find the Further Pure 1 module in further maths A-level? I'm doing Edexcel but I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone doing other exam boards too.

In particular, how does it compare in difficulty to the Further Statistics 1 module? In your opinion, would it be easier to be taught the Further Pure 1 module, or to self-teach the Further Statistics 1 module?

Thanks very much, responses to any of the questions above would be much appreciated, even if you do not know about all the questions. :smile:
I do further pure OCR MEI and in terms of difficulty, it's not too bad. The concepts aren't that difficult to learn, I think it's applying the knowledge to exam questions thats difficult. For me, i think it would be easier to be taught the further pure, however, further stats isn't too difficult either.
Reply 2
I did FP1 and am currently self teaching FS1 to help a student I tutor, and pure just made a lot more sense to me (although I've always been more into pure than applied). It's just an average difficulty interesting module, and I imagine a lot of teachers can teach it well enough, so it would probably be easier to have access to a teacher to get through a module rather than self teach yourself a different one. Either option is achievable though, so maybe look through the chapter summaries and see what looks more interesting to you!

Quick Reply

Latest