Treasury Question Time – 14th September 2020.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Order, order!

The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rakas21, will take questions from the the house. Members are limited to questions they can ask as per below.

3) Members have a limit as to how many questions they can ask the Prime Minister.
i) The Leader of the Opposition may ask six questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
ii) Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
iii) MPs may ask two questions, plus two follow-up questions.
iv) Ordinary users may ask one question with one follow-up.
4) The Speaker will close the thread 48 hours after opening it, unless the Prime Minister requests them to keep it open a little longer.

5) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker. This will be run like Prime Minister’s questions, but the Shadow Secretary will be treated like the Leader of the Opposition.

The Shadow is BosslyGaming
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What measures are being taken to keep national debt under control?
Last edited by Gundabad(good); 3 days ago
ibotu020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
1. Sorry if this appears dumb, but I’m wondering what are the responsibilities of the chancellor in context under MoHC? I haven’t seen a lot of post relating to treasury matters for a long time.

2. When are you are going to be writing a budget or any report concerning treasury matters?
ibotu020
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
How many MPs are part of the TSR Tory Party?
Why is a member of the Conservative party is asking this question to all people but the Chancellor ? (Let alone this should be something discussed internally and not publicly to save the embarrassment of the main party in government)
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It's intriguing that for ages the Chancellor used as an excuse for hiding from the house the fact he didn't have stuff before the house, despite that this is still happening. That aside, how big a deficit is too big a deficit?
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ibotu020)
Why is a member of the Conservative party is asking this question to all people but the Chancellor ? (Let alone this should be something discussed internally and not publicly to save the embarrassment of the main party in government)
I have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry.
ibotu020
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
I have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry.
No need to apologise, seems to be an honest mistake
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Record debt and £320bn and counting. At what point does the economy get put first?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Jammy Duel The Chancellor just had his Cardiff Airport MR passed. It's simply factually incorrect to say he has had nothing put before the House.
ibotu020
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Jammy Duel The Chancellor just had his Cardiff Airport MR passed. It's simply factually incorrect to say he has had nothing put before the House.
Aye yes but since this gov been in power there have been no sufficient reports discussing a lot on treasury matters. The government should be more forthcoming in revealing its public spending and fiscal policy to the house. It is important for the 2 parties in gov to show that they are performing their manifesto promises and that is through the use of the Treasury.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Aye yes but since this gov been in power there have been no sufficient reports discussing a lot on treasury matters. The government should be more forthcoming in revealing its public spending and fiscal policy to the house. It is important for the 2 parties in gov to show that they are performing their manifesto promises and that is through the use of the Treasury.
We're facing the biggest economic crisis since the 80s, arguably the 40/50s and the government is silent on the matter.
ibotu020
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
We're facing the biggest economic crisis since the 80s, arguably the 40/50s and the government is silent on the matter.
The government can’t treat the office of the Treasury with such neglect and not bring the house, the necessary reports for suitable scrutiny and debate.

Through this neglect, the government is indicating that the Chancellor of Exchequer is nothing of importance and irrelevant.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
1. Sorry if this appears dumb, but I’m wondering what are the responsibilities of the chancellor in context under MoHC? I haven’t seen a lot of post relating to treasury matters for a long time.

2. When are you are going to be writing a budget or any report concerning treasury matters?
1) Essentially the same as RL, decisions relating to overall departmental budgets, any current events such as the Nvidia-ARM sale which may require government attention, tax policy.

2) The House will be notified of a legislative timetable consisting of several reports and bills in the coming weeks.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What are the chancellor's plans regarding the furlough scheme, the Eat Out to Help Out scheme and other things that lead to the money printer going brrrrr?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It's intriguing that for ages the Chancellor used as an excuse for hiding from the house the fact he didn't have stuff before the house, despite that this is still happening. That aside, how big a deficit is too big a deficit?
You’ll remember that I also said that since I’ve taken PMQ’s weekly before I’d wait until everybody that wants to go has done. We finally reached the point at which other members had gone round once or twice.

The long run fiscal aim of Her Majesty’s Treasury is to run a consistent fiscal surplus.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
What are the chancellor's plans regarding the furlough scheme, the Eat Out to Help Out scheme and other things that lead to the money printer going brrrrr?
He supports continued restrictions and has refused to rule out supporting a second lockdown. He prefers the brrrrr sound over a few deaths and a healthy economy.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Record debt and £320bn and counting. At what point does the economy get put first?
The economy is always at the forefront of Her Majesty’s Government policy.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The economy is always at the forefront of Her Majesty’s Government policy.
If that is true will you rule out closing pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops even if cases do rise? Not ruling out such action is placing the minority above the economy.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Rakas21 any comment?
He supports continued restrictions and has refused to rule out supporting a second lockdown. He prefers the brrrrr sound over a few deaths and a healthy economy.
Rishi Sunak or Rakas?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Rakas21 any comment?

Rishi Sunak or Rakas?
Both...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.82%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.8%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (106)
34.87%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.54%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (66)
21.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.26%

Watched Threads