Can I ask my employer to defer the start date after been made an offer?

Watch
jessieyang
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Just have a general question about applying for Graduate jobs. I have heard from others it is acceptable to apply for multiple jobs at a time and see which one you will get the offer, and suppose if I received eg, two offers, I am free to reject the other company. Is this still the case?

Also, I want to apply for a position at the public sector but the recruitment process is quite long. The final interview date is next year, around May. If I also apply for other jobs around this time and got an offer (say after two months), am I allowed to defer the start date? (so I could wait and see whether I will receive an offer from the public sector job)

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody would be kind enough to offer some advice here.

Kindest regards

Jess
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jessieyang)
Hi everyone. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Just have a general question about applying for Graduate jobs. I have heard from others it is acceptable to apply for multiple jobs at a time and see which one you will get the offer, and suppose if I received eg, two offers, I am free to reject the other company. Is this still the case?

Also, I want to apply for a position at the public sector but the recruitment process is quite long. The final interview date is next year, around May. If I also apply for other jobs around this time and got an offer (say after two months), am I allowed to defer the start date? (so I could wait and see whether I will receive an offer from the public sector job)

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody would be kind enough to offer some advice here.

Kindest regards

Jess
Situation 1 is a definite yes.

Situation 2 You can ask but they can always refuse.
You can also tell them you are interviewing for other jobs.
You could also accept and then resign.

As these are imaginary jobs then better to play it by ear and see what happens till you have to make a choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads