'_'
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
so I am planning to go uni next year and I'm considering going to student accommodation as opposed to staying at home. although I'm not sure if my mother will allow me to even if I wanted to, I would certainly try to persuade her to let me. I'm currently doing an access to he diploma in business.

by student accommodation I mean living in a house and paying for one room from a landlord with other rooms available for other people. I think it's called private accommodation.

I have yet to research and decide which university I want to attend. so far I really like royal holloway.

so I want to know people's experiences with regard to accommodation in general, bonus if it's private accommodation. also any advice you have.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Total suggestion- do whatever you feel is best- but I would recommend staying in student accommodation, as in on campus, for first year especially if you're not sure. Bills etc is all included in one simple price and you don't have to battle with private landlords. If you have any issues, university maintenance/accommodation services are much more accountable and as I live in a college, there's lots of college support available to me if I have any issues with noise/flatmate issues etc. Also, Royal Holloway halls are beautiful right? At least the famous buildings
People in halls are typically 18-22 (ish, in my experience) so the only reason to not is if you're older you might feel uncomfortable with living with younger people.
In private accommodation it's up to the landlord and there just isn't that kind of support bar the county council which is only for serious issues- at the college I'm in we can just seek a bit of advice on settling disputes etc which was so helpful in first year- my friend had issues with her flat and the college were great at what to do.
But if you're ready for private and that's what you want, absolutely do it! I don't mean to put you off, just sharing what has been good for me in halls so far (staying in halls for year two this year).
'_'
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
thank you for your advice!

yea I definitely take on board that there will be more support in halls. and royal Holloway halls are definitely beautiful. a little out of my budget though. I've been looking at prices around and private accommodation is a little cheaper. but I will definitely consider living in halls for first year.

did you take out a maintenance loan if I may ask? I ask cause apparently maintenance loan is usually not enough for rent and that kind of scares me as my parents won't be able to help financially. I wouldn't mind getting a part-time job but I just want to be prepared.

funny thing is royal Holloway is like a 20 min drive from my house. the reason I want to move out is to become more independent and figure myself out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.88%
No (47)
69.12%

Watched Threads