How to meet nondrinkers at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Anyone got any tips? I feel like non drinkers at uni are a minority just bc of the massive drinking culture of British uni life.
historynerd47
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Some unis have societies specifically for non-drinkers, e.g. at York we have Sober Soc.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anyone got any tips? I feel like non drinkers at uni are a minority just bc of the massive drinking culture of British uni life.
Join a society that’s something you’re interested in. Societies are not all about drinking, and they should have sober socials that they hold as they have to be inclusive for everyone’s preferences and the friendship and sport/topic of the society. Is there any you are interested in?

Sophie - Official Student Rep
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by historynerd47)
Some unis have societies specifically for non-drinkers, e.g. at York we have Sober Soc.
Came here to shoutout York sobersoc too :laugh:
See what your university offers, if not your JCR may run something as well!
Rufus the red
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Not at the bar.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi,

Your university may hold specific non-alcoholic events in freshers so you could go to these. Also, joining societies is also a great idea, as when I don't drink and I found that societies will try and also have socials that don't involve drinking.

Zaira
Anonymous #2
Report 1 day ago
Drink flat coke and pretend to be drunk
abcdxyz22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I found that some societies have a huge focus on going out and drinking. Especially the ones that are just a joint interest rather than a hobby or activity. Societies like craft, walking, sports (etc.) are much more likely to have regular activities that do not include drinking. I would recommend going to these ones if you are looking to make like minded friends.
DiamondQueen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 20 minutes ago
(Original post by abcdxyz22)
I found that some societies have a huge focus on going out and drinking. Especially the ones that are just a joint interest rather than a hobby or activity. Societies like craft, walking, sports (etc.) are much more likely to have regular activities that do not include drinking. I would recommend going to these ones if you are looking to make like minded friends.
that's so true. I joined debate at my uni and every single damn social after a debate session would be heavily focused on drinking and because I didn't go to these socials, I would miss out on all the banter and friendships as they did all that during the drunk socials
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 minutes ago
Drink flat coke and pretend to be drunk
One of my friends actually did that :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads