Ria303
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’ve just started Year 10 and would like to ask for some advice on time management. I don’t get distracted by my mobile/study unrelated websites, etc. and I don’t easily get burned out revising for quite a long time, given that I’m not tired that day.

However, I often find myself spending much too long on simple study tasks and not having time to revise other subjects. For example, I was studying Chemistry today and spent at least 2 hours taking down notes from a single topic and making flashcards.

I’ve tried using the calendar software on my laptop to send notifications for whenever I need to start a new task. However, that didn’t seem to work for me and on the days I did that, I still experienced the same issue. Anyone experienced something similar before? Like I said before, I don’t get distracted at all by recreational things unrelated to study during my study hours; I just spend too long on one specific subject and don’t have time for others.
laurakate94
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I used to be so easily distracted when studying and really the only thing that works for me is to remove all possible distractions.

I also really like the creative side of studying such as creating flash cards so I leave my favourite things until last! It motivates me to get the more challenging and mundane tasks done so I can move onto the nicer bits!

I hope this helps a little.
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Time management techniques always differ from person to person but I have found the app 'forest' helps me not only stay off my phone whilst working but it also works as a timer to keep me on track.

I would suggest start by sitting down and writing a list of everything you want to achieve that study session and allocate a certain amount of time for each section. Using the app or even a normal timer on your phone, set the timer for the chosen time you want to work on that particular topic for and stick to this time.

Its okay if you dont complete it all in the time you give yourself or want to complete it in but dont finish it- instead move onto the next topic you want to study. You can easily come back to finish that topic you didnt quite finish at the end of your study session or the following day but by doing this you still are studying the other subjects in rotation.

I hope this helps
Ria303
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by xozxexo)
Time management techniques always differ from person to person but I have found the app 'forest' helps me not only stay off my phone whilst working but it also works as a timer to keep me on track.

I would suggest start by sitting down and writing a list of everything you want to achieve that study session and allocate a certain amount of time for each section. Using the app or even a normal timer on your phone, set the timer for the chosen time you want to work on that particular topic for and stick to this time.

Its okay if you dont complete it all in the time you give yourself or want to complete it in but dont finish it- instead move onto the next topic you want to study. You can easily come back to finish that topic you didnt quite finish at the end of your study session or the following day but by doing this you still are studying the other subjects in rotation.

I hope this helps
Thank you so much for this, I’ll definitely keep this in mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (86)
21.29%
No (318)
78.71%

Watched Threads