rachellouise21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone, so I've started year 12 and I am taking Sociology, Economics, Maths and EPQ. I am not sure whether to continue with EPQ because I really don't know what to do it on. I am thinking of doing Economics at Uni but so far I am loving Sociology so I am still unsure. I don't want to do an EPQ on Economics and end up doing Sociology at Uni because then it wont help my application. Anyway I was wondering whether it is worth it? If I just do wider reading, work experience and volunteering do I really need an EPQ? Thank you so much!
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, it's totally up to you! Some people find it useless, others find the opposite. I found it invaluable- I did English Lit, History and French and an EPQ and did my EPQ on a history topic (English Civil War, whoop whoop) and found it soooo much better preparation for my history undergrad- currently going into second year- than even history a-level was. It gave me such good experience and an understanding of how an independent academic research project works and gave me so many skills. Even just referencing, I know it might sound silly but I was scared of accidental plagarism and stuff and the practise was so helpful, I felt really prepared when I had to do an independent research project in term one of uni. It also massively helped my application- I had reading and new concepts of historiography I had discovered during the EPQ to discuss during my interview and in my personal statement.
HOWEVER, it is not necessary. I found it good for the experience, then used it in my application, but I would not really say it's worth it just for the application unless you enjoyed it as much as I did and pushed myself with it. Do it if you want to develop your skills and knowledge in this area. Happy to answer any questions you have about it, I got an A*
Edit: To clarify, I mean mentioned briefly 'I did an EPQ' is not worth it, saying all you learned and are passionate about etc, would help a lot
Last edited by historynerd47; 2 months ago
rachellouise21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by historynerd47)
Hi, it's totally up to you! Some people find it useless, others find the opposite. I found it invaluable- I did English Lit, History and French and an EPQ and did my EPQ on a history topic (English Civil War, whoop whoop) and found it soooo much better preparation for my history undergrad- currently going into second year- than even history a-level was. It gave me such good experience and an understanding of how an independent academic research project works and gave me so many skills. Even just referencing, I know it might sound silly but I was scared of accidental plagarism and stuff and the practise was so helpful, I felt really prepared when I had to do an independent research project in term one of uni. It also massively helped my application- I had reading and new concepts of historiography I had discovered during the EPQ to discuss during my interview and in my personal statement.
HOWEVER, it is not necessary. I found it good for the experience, then used it in my application, but I would not really say it's worth it just for the application unless you enjoyed it as much as I did and pushed myself with it. Do it if you want to develop your skills and knowledge in this area. Happy to answer any questions you have about it, I got an A*
Edit: To clarify, I mean mentioned briefly 'I did an EPQ' is not worth it, saying all you learned and are passionate about etc, would help a lot
Thank you so much for your reply, if you don't mind me asking, did you come up with a topic/title fairly quickly? I feel like I am meant to do a fair bit of research to find out what I'm interested in and what to do it on when I'm not even sure what I'm going to do at Uni. Did you know that you were going to do History at uni when you began your EPQ?
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Thank you so much for your reply, if you don't mind me asking, did you come up with a topic/title fairly quickly? I feel like I am meant to do a fair bit of research to find out what I'm interested in and what to do it on when I'm not even sure what I'm going to do at Uni. Did you know that you were going to do History at uni when you began your EPQ?
Yes I did, I was certain on the degree but really unsure on the topic. I had a bit of a problem with the question- we did the French Revolution as part of the a-level and as part of a class discussion on the nature of revolutions the teacher raised the question- was the English Civil War technically a revolution as some say it is e.g. historian Christopher Hill. So I remembered that and started planning to write that essay as I loved revolution stuff but then when I mentioned my topic to her she told me a student at my sixth form had done that for her EPQ the previous year so I couldn't do it in case they thought the school was letting me copy her (we had never met and she had left school. I was really lost but managed to rephrase it and did 'Was Charles I (King during the civil war) responsible for his own downfall?'. I found that once you have a rough idea, finding a question and just getting stuck in was the best way to go. There's no perfect question, it's only one project you know? As long as it is doable and not super narrow or far too broad, it's about HOW you do it not what the essay is on exactly.
I know this is a weird question but is there a topic about society where sociology and economics overlap? At university we think more broadly about multidisciplinary topics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed