Accounting and Finance or Maths with economics? URGENT :(

Watch
nxpatel1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I've just started year 13 and i study maths, biology and chemistry. Growing up, I was always thinking about doing medicine or accounting and finance so I've read books and done work experience for both. However I've lost my interest in medicine and don't think it's for me so I felt like accounting and finance is better. However, recently I've been looking at maths with economics degrees thinking that it would be better for me when it comes to me applying for jobs after uni and now I don't know whether doing accounting and finance or maths with economics as a degree is better. Which one will give me more job opportunities? I don't really know what I want to do as a job but I'm thinking either be a chartered accountant/actuary or do something in investment banking.

I think I would enjoy either one to be honest but I'm worried that if I chose maths with economics instead then I would be lacking things to put on my personal statement because I haven't really done much extra for that because I never considered it as a degree until now.

I have done work experience at a small accounting firm, done 2 online courses about the basics of accounting and I'm reading 'The Finance Book' so I can include these for my accounting and finance personal statement if I do this as a degree.

For maths with economics, I can talk about how I've only participated in a maths challenge day which allowed me to apply maths to real life problems and that I have a level 3 maths algebra edexcel award. As I don't really have much time left until I send my application to UCAS, I was thinking about watching some TedTalks about maths/economics to help me see if I want to do this as a degree and use this on my personal statement.

Any advice?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What are your maths grades and which universities would you be considering? I'm not so convinced that personal statements are the key thing for maths - maybe different at Oxbridge. Have you looked at MORSE degrees?
nxpatel1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What are your maths grades and which universities would you be considering? I'm not so convinced that personal statements are the key thing for maths - maybe different at Oxbridge. Have you looked at MORSE degrees?
For GCSE i got an 8 and for a level I'm predicted an A. No I haven't heard of MORSE before
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by nxpatel1)
For GCSE i got an 8 and for a level I'm predicted an A. No I haven't heard of MORSE before
You sound like a great candidate for either course. Warwick, Lancaster and Southampton (plus I think Cardiff do something similar) have courses in Maths, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) - well worth having a look online to see if it appeals.
alex20000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
Personally, I do believe with Maths and Economics, your job prospects will be much higher (depending on how you use your time during uni). STEM subjects are always strongly need.

However, if you are interested in Accounting and Finance, combined with good grades/ good uni, you can make anything work too - but your options could be more limited.
Anon_P123
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
I would go for Maths with Econ. You pretty much get pigeonholed into Accounting roles if you do Accounting and Finance but keep your options open (which would include Accounting study) with a STEM degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.27%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (56)
12.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.44%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.53%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (86)
19.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.26%

Watched Threads