The Student Room Group

Moved into student accommodation,haven’t made any friends.

I moved into McMillan student village yesterday and I haven’t made any friends. I’m very shy, so I find it hard to approach people and because I live in the studio room (one with my own kitchen) I have no business going into the shared kitchen. This student accommodation is full of students from different universities, so it’s not exclusive to the students who will be going to mine. I am going to Ravensbourne University London, and I don’t even know anyone from there, I’ve just joined a freshers group chat though On Instagram. Somebody please help or give me advice, I feel very lonely and I don’t want my Uni life to be like this.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I moved into McMillan student village yesterday and I haven’t made any friends. I’m very shy, so I find it hard to approach people and because I live in the studio room (one with my own kitchen) I have no business going into the shared kitchen. This student accommodation is full of students from different universities, so it’s not exclusive to the students who will be going to mine. I am going to Ravensbourne University London, and I don’t even know anyone from there, I’ve just joined a freshers group chat though On Instagram. Somebody please help or give me advice, I feel very lonely and I don’t want my Uni life to be like this.

Take the plunge and go down to the shared kitchen. You don't have to cook anything whilst you're there - just pretend you want to borrow a tin opener or even better take some cakes and say you aren't going to get through them on your own before they go off and offer them around. There will be lots of people feeling exactly the same as you that will be pleased to have you talk to them too.

Hi!!

Interact within the group chats :smile: Join more group chats :smile: Join societies and go to any events that are available :smile:

Go out but stay safe too!!

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:
if its any consolation, Ive just graduated from ravensbourne - it's such a social uni (in a covidless world) so once you get back onto campus when restrictions allow, you'll probably find you get the opportunity to meet people! Because its a small uni, and there's such a collaborative/industry-focussed approach, you'll probably get to speak to people all across the uni on so many different courses:smile:
Don't be afraid to reach out to the students union for support either, the president this year is a super chill guy! And dont forget there's student services who are there to help too!! Also don't underestimate groupchats... I met my best friend at Rave on a freshers group chat! xx

Hi there!

I was very shy before starting university and I didn't really make many friends, I preferred to focus on my studies and not go out. But that's completely normal, everyone experiences university differently. It's great that you've just joined a freshers group chat :smile:

Have you thought about joining any clubs or societies? Or how about becoming a student ambassador, getting involved in any volunteering work or finding a part-time job on campus? All great ways of meeting new people!

I wish you the best of luck with everything,

Becky
Reply 5

Hi, Im a student at trinity laban and I am also at mcmillan, so if you need anything or wanna meet up just drop a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest