Anyone else have no dreams or ambitions?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I think up until recently by biggest goal was graduating university, so everything I did the past few years was working towards that goal (GCSEs, A Levels, uni). Now, I feel like I'm stuck in limbo. I don't know where to go from here. I didn't have any real interest in my degree and couldn't wait for it to be over and all the previous jobs I've had, including my year in industry, I hated and would complain about it all the time.

I've seeked advice from my uni's careers service, I've volunteered for different charities, I've researched new skills I could learn in free time and I've taken up new hobbies but nothing truly interests me and everything becomes a chore and inconvenience after a while. I'm also not depressed even though it may sound like I am. I think I'm just a boring person. I really don't have much going on in my mind and it reflects in the way I feel about life (I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense lol).

Although I found uni boring, I still dreaded the thought of leaving because I have no ambitions and know finding a career I find tolerable would be hard, most likely impossible. I'm going to be miserable until I retire or probably till my last breath. It just makes me think everything is so pointless and makes every day life feel so tedious and meaningless. I think my life has been stagnant since starting uni (in a personal development kind of way), I can't see myself growing and changing as a person in the future.

Does anyone relate to feeling this way?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think up until recently by biggest goal was graduating university, so everything I did the past few years was working towards that goal (GCSEs, A Levels, uni). Now, I feel like I'm stuck in limbo. I don't know where to go from here. I didn't have any real interest in my degree and couldn't wait for it to be over and all the previous jobs I've had, including my year in industry, I hated and would complain about it all the time.

I've seeked advice from my uni's careers service, I've volunteered for different charities, I've researched new skills I could learn in free time and I've taken up new hobbies but nothing truly interests me and everything becomes a chore and inconvenience after a while. I'm also not depressed even though it may sound like I am. I think I'm just a boring person. I really don't have much going on in my mind and it reflects in the way I feel about life (I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense lol).

Although I found uni boring, I still dreaded the thought of leaving because I have no ambitions and know finding a career I find tolerable would be hard, most likely impossible. I'm going to be miserable until I retire or probably till my last breath. It just makes me think everything is so pointless and makes every day life feel so tedious and meaningless. I think my life has been stagnant since starting uni (in a personal development kind of way), I can't see myself growing and changing as a person in the future.

Does anyone relate to feeling this way?
I did feel this way for a long time, I was stuck in a job I hated for two years. Felt like it was the end for me, but to battle this I thought what is it in my life that’s bringing me no purpose: relations, job, hobbies etc and and just tired to fix one thing at a time. My advice to u would, get a job( nothing u love or hate) just something ur OK with just to earn some money, but using this money try things, new hobbies, network events, buy software: photoshop, video editing, music production. Just keep trying new things. Think back to when u were young what did u enjoy. Only you can bring the purpose u feel is missing into your life, Just done stop
EllaRose12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nahhh I have the dream to be a vet or a nurse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.69%
No (278)
78.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed