1 year at uni just to apply to another?

Watch
Anonware
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi. Is it a good idea to apply to a UNI with my predicted AAB. Get accepted & spend a year at the uni. Get my A*AA & then apply to Bath 1 Year later? So I’d be spending 1 year at a random uni, kind of. It’s almost unbearable to live with my abusive dad & spending a gap year with him would be true misery on earth
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you go to a random uni you might love it so much you wouldn’t want to move. Remember you’ll make lots of friends so you might not want to move in the end. AAB is good. You can get in very good unis with those grades. Why do you want to go to bath specifically?
Anonware
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eaphysics)
If you go to a random uni you might love it so much you wouldn’t want to move. Remember you’ll make lots of friends so you might not want to move in the end. AAB is good. You can get in very good unis with those grades. Why do you want to go to bath specifically?
I guess this is a possibility, but I am more interested in my subject than any friends (as lame or not lame that may sound). Because Bath offers a really great computer science & AI course with a placement year Bsc(4years) that would be super helpful for me getting a job. But this is possible? I can apply to Bath during my 1st year at whatever uni?
Last edited by Anonware; 5 days ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Pointless.
1) You will not have time to redo A levels whilst you are at Uni.
2) You'll get to the first Uni, make friends, enjoy the course and will rethink this daft idea.

Instead
1) Work your butt off this year and get AAA+.
2) Take a planned gap year somewhere else, and apply to the Uni you actually want to go to.
Anonware
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Pointless.
1) You will not have time to redo A levels whilst you are at Uni.
2) You'll get to the first Uni, make friends, enjoy the course and will rethink this daft idea.

Instead
1) Work your butt off this year and get AAA+.
2) Take a planned gap year somewhere else, and apply to the Uni you actually want to go to.
Meh, regardless, it’s possible correct?
AHKS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonware)
Meh, regardless, it’s possible correct?
You won't get financed for 5 years which is what 1 year plus 4 years at Bath adds up to.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AHKS)
You won't get financed for 5 years which is what 1 year plus 4 years at Bath adds up to.
For undergraduate you get the duration of an UG course +1 year in funding. It doesn't matter if the second course is four years so long as they were at the first for less than a year. (Source)

Anonware: It's a risky course of action as you hamper your chances of improving your AL grades, (if Bath accepts retakes), and even then you are not guaranteed to receive an offer. My advice is always to never start a course you are not willing to finish. In the vast majority of cases you would be better to take a year out to retake if necessary, (and check with Bath whether retakes would weaken your application).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.52%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (55)
12.82%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (164)
38.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.72%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (83)
19.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.36%

Watched Threads