urmumyeet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
the likes of oxford, demonstrates overt racism. which universities and institutions do you believe to be least racist? and which most?
I always thought about attending oxford but I just don't agree with it's lack of diversity and the classism disparity and elitism it demonstrates.
LaPregunta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sir John Cass Foundation Primary School is very racist. The Oldgate school might be the least racist.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In what way is Oxford 'overtly racist'?
I am interested in your comment about 'diversity' there though, are you of the opinion that people should be admitted by racial quota as opposed to aptitude?
Your point on the class divide stands though.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
Sir John Cass Foundation Primary School is very racist. The Oldgate school might be the least racist.
How is a primary school racist?
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
How is a primary school racist?
My point exactly.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
My point exactly.
You've lost me here sorry?
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What kind of question is this?
You can't measure racism. Every year, in every university in the World there will be certain racist students and certain non-racist students. Then, 3 years later, they will graduate and leave the university. And new students will come and go, once again, some racist and some not.
I wouldn't say that Oxford is overtly racist either, unless you have links to explain yourself there. I've never heard anything about that.

Maybe if you're worried about facing racism, you could try to go to more diverse universities, with a higher proportion of non-white students. I guess you could argue that less 'racist' students would go to these universities, knowing that most people aren't white. (https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ties-rankings/).
But other than that, I don't think you can determine which university is the 'most racist' and which one is the least. In life there will be good and bad people everywhere, you shouldn't let that stop you from doing anything.
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
You've lost me here sorry?
Forgive me, it's The Aldgate Primary School:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...John-Cass.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53985187
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloenix)
What kind of question is this?
You can't measure racism. Every year, in every university in the World there will be certain racist students and certain non-racist students. Then, 3 years later, they will graduate and leave the university. And new students will come and go, once again, some racist and some not.
I wouldn't say that Oxford is overtly racist either, unless you have links to explain yourself there. I've never heard anything about that.

Maybe if you're worried about facing racism, you could try to go to more diverse universities, with a higher proportion of non-white students. I guess you could argue that less 'racist' students would go to these universities, knowing that most people aren't white. (https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ties-rankings/).
But other than that, I don't think you can determine which university is the 'most racist' and which one is the least. In life there will be good and bad people everywhere, you shouldn't let that stop you from doing anything.
I think that if you were to consider the racial composition of a university's student body in order to decide which university to go to, that would in face make you racist yourself (regardless of your skin colour).
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you dont agree with the “class disparity and elitism” that oxford demonstrates, dont go to oxford.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by urmumyeet)
the likes of oxford, demonstrates overt racism. which universities and institutions do you believe to be least racist? and which most?
I always thought about attending oxford but I just don't agree with it's lack of diversity and the classism disparity and elitism it demonstrates.
:no: Not Oxford
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
I think that if you were to consider the racial composition of a university's student body in order to decide which university to go to, that would in face make you racist yourself (regardless of your skin colour).
True, but it's just common sense that if you go to a university where most people have the same skin colour as you, it is less likely that you will experience racism, because you can't really be racist to someone who is the same race as you. That being said, I don't encourage anyone to go to a university based on the race of people who go there, for whatever reason.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those links dont say the school is racist though? Having a name a couple of people are getting uppity with for no particular reason not withstanding.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How's Oxford "overtly racist"? Does their vice chancellor attend Klan meetings?

The reason you don't see many black or minority ethnic students at Oxford or Cambridge is because they don't apply in the first place and because the top schools which collectively account for a fair bit of admissions to Oxford and Cambridge don't have many of those students either.

Now the problem here is why they're not as likely to apply, and I won't deny that Oxford and Cambridge do have a problem with their image. Back in the 80s most people at those universities went to independent schools, now it's about 30% for Cambridge and 40% for Oxford. Still unrepresentative, but a lot better than it once was. They actually are trying to solve this with increased outreach programmes (plus Cambridge opened Adjustment for students in the widening participation criteria), but when you make an ignorant or inflammatory post like that it doesn't help.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
if you dont agree with the “class disparity and elitism” that oxford demonstrates, dont go to oxford.
Well then that's just going to perpetuate the problem isn't it?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
How's Oxford "overtly racist"? Does their vice chancellor attend Klan meetings?

The reason you don't see many black or minority ethnic students at Oxford or Cambridge is because they don't apply in the first place and because the top schools which collectively account for a fair bit of admissions to Oxford and Cambridge don't have many of those students either.

Now the problem here is why they're not as likely to apply, and I won't deny that Oxford and Cambridge do have a problem with their image. Back in the 80s most people at those universities went to independent schools, now it's about 30% for Cambridge and 40% for Oxford. Still unrepresentative, but a lot better than it once was. They actually are trying to solve this with increased outreach programmes (plus Cambridge opened Adjustment for students in the widening participation criteria), but when you make an ignorant or inflammatory post like that it doesn't help.
This is a convenient re-writing of history. Oxford and Cambridge’s state school numbers peaked in the early 1980s. They have only regained those levels in the last 8-9 years.
AstaYunoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought ethnic minorities and people of colour were given a fighting chance through contextual offers, bursaries, scholarships and even direct interviews if living in low progression areas

Then again there maybe some universities that may come across as racist but considering the majority of applications to these universities are of a particular race, i highly doubt it's due to racism
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Those links dont say the school is racist though? Having a name a couple of people are getting uppity with for no particular reason not withstanding.
I was attemptin to demonstrate a bowin to the mob, to which urmumyeet may belong. I struggled to find David Cameron's pathetic speech about "one black person in Oxford", so this seemed a good substitute.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The reason you don't see many black or minority ethnic students at Oxford or Cambridge
In 2017, 18.3% of the England and Wales population aged 19-25 was BAME whereas the Oxford University intake was 22.1% BAME. https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and...rent/ethnicity

In 2009, 15% of Cambridge undergraduates were BAME, whereas only 14.2% of 18-24 year olds in Great Britain were. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-of-cambridge

(Both from the university's own websites but think of the reputational risk if they're shown to be incapable of basic research)
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
This is a convenient re-writing of history. Oxford and Cambridge’s state school numbers peaked in the early 1980s. They have only regained those levels in the last 8-9 years.
Ok, I've only found statistics going as far back as 1989, I'd like to see the earlier stats

edit: the number of students in independent schools was particularly low in the late 70s but grew again during the 80s, could this have something to do with it?
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (51)
37.78%
No (70)
51.85%
I don't know (14)
10.37%

Watched Threads