X3p1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Quick questions:
For my course it states that "STEP I/II" is required. Am I required to take both STEP I and II or only STEP I?

Also, I have searched online for STEP exam dates and could not find one for 2021, I heard it will be cancelled. Do I take the MAT exam instead of STEP?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will take both, normally applicants take two STEP papers, either STEP 1 and 2 or STEP 2 and 3. The STEP exam isn't taken until after the A-level exams normally, not sure when registration opens most years. If it's cancelled Imperial should publish alternative requirements. I believe they require the MAT if you submit your application before October 15th, so that is an option if you would prefer it (my impression is the MAT is easier).
Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
artful_lounger

Would this process be different for those who haven't done further maths ?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Parziva1)
artful_lounger

Would this process be different for those who haven't done further maths ?
That's why there are two pairs of STEP papers; 1/2 is for those with just A-level Maths, 2/3 is for those with Maths & FM. I don't believe MAT assumes any FM content.
Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
That's why there are two pairs of STEP papers; 1/2 is for those with just A-level Maths, 2/3 is for those with Maths & FM. I don't believe MAT assumes any FM content.
Thanks for the info
X3p1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You will take both, normally applicants take two STEP papers, either STEP 1 and 2 or STEP 2 and 3. The STEP exam isn't taken until after the A-level exams normally, not sure when registration opens most years. If it's cancelled Imperial should publish alternative requirements. I believe they require the MAT if you submit your application before October 15th, so that is an option if you would prefer it (my impression is the MAT is easier).
Sorry for the late reply, you are saying I should take both. However, I do not do further maths at all. Do I only do STEP 1 now?
briteeshbro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by X3p1)
Sorry for the late reply, you are saying I should take both. However, I do not do further maths at all. Do I only do STEP 1 now?
From what I understood.
You should still be able to do STEP 1 and 2 without having undertaken FM. You should only consider doing the first two.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by X3p1)
Well, you do whatever is required in your offer, the typical format is STEP 1 and 2 for those without FM or 2 and 3 for those with FM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads