Kay.Mah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Which degree is better and what are the different job prospects for both?
JamThatJam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
They're both very similar in terms of job prospects. You can land roles in teaching, mentoring, as a youth worker, a social worker, a SENCo, a Family Support worker or as an Education consultant. I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other, it's more the matter of where you would like to work when you've graduated. If you do Early Years, you're more likely to land teaching jobs in EYFS/KS1, as this is the main age group that you'll be doing your research and reading around. You will also be better suited to teaching that age group. You could also get jobs in Play therapy with this degree. Education Studies tends to focus more on the theoretical side of Education, so you could be more likely land roles as an Education consultant or an Education administer.

As I said earlier, one isn't necessarily 'better' than the other as it's the matter of personal preference, and the age group that you would prefer to work with following graduation. Hope this helps
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by JamThatJam)
They're both very similar in terms of job prospects. You can land roles in teaching, mentoring, as a youth worker, a social worker, a SENCo, a Family Support worker or as an Education consultant. I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other, it's more the matter of where you would like to work when you've graduated. If you do Early Years, you're more likely to land teaching jobs in EYFS/KS1, as this is the main age group that you'll be doing your research and reading around. You will also be better suited to teaching that age group. You could also get jobs in Play therapy with this degree. Education Studies tends to focus more on the theoretical side of Education, so you could be more likely land roles as an Education consultant or an Education administer.

As I said earlier, one isn't necessarily 'better' than the other as it's the matter of personal preference, and the age group that you would prefer to work with following graduation. Hope this helps
Thank you made it very clear and understandable for me 🖤
Moana92
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
If you want to be a teacher then an education degree with QTS is what you need, but if you want to keep your options open and maybe work in special needs, or as a speech and language therapist, social worker etc then a childhood studies degree is better.
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Moana92)
If you want to be a teacher then an education degree with QTS is what you need, but if you want to keep your options open and maybe work in special needs, or as a speech and language therapist, social worker etc then a childhood studies degree is better.
I have another question, if I do any degree such as a working with children, families and young people degree. Then do a PGCE could I become a primary teacher?
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Kay.Mah)
I have another question, if I do any degree such as a working with children, families and young people degree. Then do a PGCE could I become a primary teacher?
Yes, you could. You could also do a degree in Primary Education with QTS if you prefer
Moana92
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yes, but the only thing is that it will take an extra year, but lots of people do it. Some unis guarantee you an interview for the PGCE course if you've already done a Childhood Studies course with them. So if you're unsure if you want to teach or not, a Childhood Studies is a better option as you're not closing the door on teaching
Kay.Mah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Moana92)
Yes, but the only thing is that it will take an extra year, but lots of people do it. Some unis guarantee you an interview for the PGCE course if you've already done a Childhood Studies course with them. So if you're unsure if you want to teach or not, a Childhood Studies is a better option as you're not closing the door on teaching
So with this degree (working with children young people and families) and then a PGCE would allow me to teach ? Just to clarify
JamThatJam
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
So with this degree (working with children young people and families) and then a PGCE would allow me to teach ? Just to clarify
Yes, you can become a primary teacher by doing any degree followed by a PGCE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads