BiggestGrinder
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I'm about to start my first year at Sheff Hallam Uni, studying Economics Bsc. I'm just wondering if its worth grinding for a 1st/2:1 at SHU or resitting year 13 to be able to study at a top 20/russell group uni. In regards to my a levels i got CCE, i literally played video games 24/7 and payed little to no attention in lessons as well as revising days before mocks. I take full blame lol, learnt from this L and will bounce back if i retake.
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No point wasting a year. You’re at so uni just study and get your degree. Only really the top 3 or 4 unis hold any weight. Other than that it’s all the same
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Are you sure you've learned from your lesson? Usually better to do something drastic when you have evidence. For example, evidence that you've completely fixed your study habits etc.
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eaphysics)
No point wasting a year. You’re at so uni just study and get your degree. Only really the top 3 or 4 unis hold any weight. Other than that it’s all the same
True dat. i think ill just work my ass off for 3 years. Still don't have a clear career path in mind, i heard employers for top companies and highly competitive fields look at the uni you attended. Anyways i'm actually pumped for uni, going to hopefully achieve so much these next few years, not just academically thanks bro
Last edited by BiggestGrinder; 3 days ago
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Are you sure you've learned from your lesson? Usually better to do something drastic when you have evidence. For example, evidence that you've completely fixed your study habits etc.
ngl u got me thinking haha. God bless online forums. Tbh i might even done a round 2 lol. I think i'm just going to invest as much time and resources in order to get a good degree than build something from that. I have to get a career in mind lol, accounting is up there but ofc loaaads of jobs that accept any degree that i would enjoy. Such as a police officer, teacher and even law i believe. Tysm tho
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by BiggestGrinder)
ngl u got me thinking haha. God bless online forums. Tbh i might even done a round 2 lol. I think i'm just going to invest as much time and resources in order to get a good degree than build something from that. I have to get a career in mind lol, accounting is up there but ofc loaaads of jobs that accept any degree that i would enjoy. Such as a police officer, teacher and even law i believe. Tysm tho
There are so many jobs it's crazy. Just focus on your degree. Please remember this: if you feel like you're falling back to your previous bad routine, don't just think that it'll be fine and you'll revise 'when it matters'. No; instead, talk to student support. There are ways they can support you. It's not embarrassing or anything to ask for help. Sometimes people genuinely struggle or sometimes people genetically have low focus that naturally disadvantages them. Don't ever think there's nothing wrong if there clearly is something amiss. Always talk to student support, personal tutor or GP. I'm really not kidding. :fluffy:

I felt weak asking for help before and I never did because I wanted to be 'normal' like everyone else. I learned my lesson then. I hope it doesn't take you too long to learn yours.

Feel free to message me or tag me on this thread if you ever want further advice.
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 days ago
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
There are so many jobs it's crazy. Just focus on your degree. Please remember this: if you feel like you're falling back to your previous bad routine, don't just think that it'll be fine and you'll revise 'when it matters'. No; instead, talk to student support. There are ways they can support you. It's not embarrassing or anything to ask for help. Sometimes people genuinely struggle or sometimes people genetically have low focus that naturally disadvantages them. Don't ever think there's nothing wrong if there clearly is something amiss. Always talk to student support, personal tutor or GP. I'm really not kidding. :fluffy:

I felt weak asking for help before and I never did because I wanted to be 'normal' like everyone else. I learned my lesson then. I hope it doesn't take you too long to learn yours.

Feel free to message me or tag me on this thread if you ever want further advice.
It was more so a lack of understanding and seriousness. I was told numerous times a levels are wayyyy harder and you have to commit throughout the 2 years. Obviously I didn’t, thought I could pull another last second revise session like I did for gcse. You have to take Ls in life, I mean this 1 was avoidable but I fosureee learnt my lesson. Legit can’t wait for uni but ofc I’m an over thinker and I’m still lowkey thinking about dropping out last min and doing an apprenticeship. Since skills and experience are really valuable, especially in demand IT skills such as cyber security. To say the very least I’m an adult gotta start making that bread and have to say goodbye to gaming competitively
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
P.S tysm for the replies and I will let u know if I need anymore help( which I probably will do,lol jk)
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
P.S tysm for the replies and I will let u know if I need anymore help( which I probably will do,lol jk)
Are you interested in IT/Cyber security? There are some awesome apprenticeships around that give you a degree alongside it. Either uni or apprenticeship would be fine - just remember that they're both equally good. One isn't more impressive than the other.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm about to start my first year at Sheff Hallam Uni, studying Economics Bsc. I'm just wondering if its worth grinding for a 1st/2:1 at SHU or resitting year 13 to be able to study at a top 20/russell group uni. In regards to my a levels i got CCE, i literally played video games 24/7 and payed little to no attention in lessons as well as revising days before mocks. I take full blame lol, learnt from this L and will bounce back if i retake.
The university doesnt make much difference at undergrad, employers are after the degree.
If you like Sheffield id say stay and dont bother wasting a year (hell you could always transfer after your first year if you can prove you're worthy of a better uni)
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Are you interested in IT/Cyber security? There are some awesome apprenticeships around that give you a degree alongside it. Either uni or apprenticeship would be fine - just remember that they're both equally good. One isn't more impressive than the other.
They require 96 UCAS points, unfortunately, I have 80 but I might give em a ring... you never. know. I’m the biggest noob doing all this research after my results lol
BiggestGrinder
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
The university doesnt make much difference at undergrad, employers are after the degree.
If you like Sheffield id say stay and dont bother wasting a year (hell you could always transfer after your first year if you can prove you're worthy of a better uni)
Oooooo. I shall research transferring will be over the moon, if I get into a better uni but doubt it lol. Thanks a lot tho
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
It was more so a lack of understanding and seriousness. I was told numerous times a levels are wayyyy harder and you have to commit throughout the 2 years. Obviously I didn’t, thought I could pull another last second revise session like I did for gcse. You have to take Ls in life, I mean this 1 was avoidable but I fosureee learnt my lesson. Legit can’t wait for uni but ofc I’m an over thinker and I’m still lowkey thinking about dropping out last min and doing an apprenticeship. Since skills and experience are really valuable, especially in demand IT skills such as cyber security. To say the very least I’m an adult gotta start making that bread and have to say goodbye to gaming competitively
Hi BiggestGrinder, I've replied to you on your other thread, but if Cyber Security is something you are interested in then you could take a look at our BSc Cyber Security course page to see if it is something you would enjoy more than Economics. When you call up our admissions team you can also ask about the possibility of transferring course before you start or after your first year, they'll be able to talk you through it and let you know what is possible and give you some general advice if you are unsure about starting this year.
- Ella
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.62%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (95)
34.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.39%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (64)
22.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.02%

Watched Threads