can someone give me advice about uni -- overthinking a lot right now

Watch
bbibbi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i would really appreciate if someone could just give me advice or slap some sense into me or smth please:

i moved to my uni housing 3 days ago now; i've never lived anywhere other than with my parents. i live with 5 other people in a shared facilities housing and idk how i feel about it yet. the people are alright despite not being people i would normally be friends with and for the most part i've just been staying in my room and keeping to myself; one of them even referred to me as the 'quiet one' as he didnt learn my name.

i'm normally very quiet and shy and i keep to myself, i'm very anxious as well and i suppose moving away has caused this to flare up? i cried when my dad left me here to go home and i've cried every night since, even right now lmao but i just chalked it up to homesickness and i was hoping anyone could just tell me that it'll go away and i'll relax eventually.

the only thoughts that have crossed my mind are: maybe i can drop out? but idk this could just be me overthinking and being dramatic plus i'm already here and i live very far from this uni so it would be a lot of work to move out. idk what to do anymore, i've started doubting if coming to uni was actually what i wanted to do. i feel like i only chose to go was because everyone else was and i have kinda *****y mental health so i have basically 0 motivation anymore so i knew if i didnt go i would just be sitting at home all day and maybe getting a job.

i dont fully know if i want to drop out bc i havent even started my course yet and this could all be due to severe homesickness but i feel like if i did drop out i would be disappointing my mum and confusing everyone else.

idk if i should mention this to my dad or something but im really confused and i need advice bc if staying here means crying myself to sleep every night then i dont want to be here.
chocolate_fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whatever you do, I would recommend not giving up your course.
As you said, you've only just started, and haven't even begun lessons yet. You'll meet so many other people in societies, classes, etc. Don't just focus on the people you're staying with now.
I get that moving away can be hard, I moved away at age 16 and phoned home almost every night to begin with. If you are anxious/homesick, I would recommend phoning your parents often, otherwise no contact with them will make it tougher for you.
Moving away from home is something everyone does, and give it a few weeks, and it should get better. Certainly wait until Christmas until you seriously consider the possibility of going home.
I hope it all gets better, and I wish you the very best of luck at university!
beneficialgirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It gets way better trust me, don’t give up this early you’ve yet to meet so many people and you’ll get so busy too. You should push yourself to be more social with your flatmates and getting yourself into social situations. Soon you’ll be so busy you won’t have time to think about home. Uni is so fun and you make so many great memories from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads