The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary Maths Interview Post-Covid

Good Evening/Morning

I have a PGCE interview tomorrow (Wednesday), and I was hoping for some last minute guidance if possible.

Has anyone else attended a PGCE interview online given the pandemic? If so, could you please advise of the structure of your interview so I can know what to expect? I have been told the interview will be on MS Teams, so should I expect a group interview as well as an individual one? What happens during these group sessions given it's online?
Note: I have not been asked to present anything, rather just speak about "what makes effective maths teaching and learning" - the same question that I was asked to write about for my written task in advance.*

Unfortunately I have been told that I will be informed on the day what we will be doing, so my preparation so far has been guesswork consisting mainly of familiarising myself with the current maths syllabus, sitting old GCSE exams for practice and rehersing answers for a list of commonly asked questions.

*I have been asked to complete a written task in advance, which I am about to email accross to my interviewer later today. I have written a page (as my handwriting is quite large), but I feel I could write so much more. Would it be sufficient that I have covered several points and expanded slightly on them, or should I continue writing onto the back of the page?

Any advice or mention of your experiences would be greatly appreciated ladies and gents! :redface:
(edited 3 years ago)
Bumpety bump
Bumpb bump bump
At this late stage I very much doubt it'd be in a group environment.

Don't rehearse answers - let them come naturally.

It sounds like you've prepared well already so I wouldn't worry. You may be asked about different scenarios you may face in the classroom, so maybe think about some ways that you could answer those. :smile:
Original post by El.Capitán
Good Evening/Morning

I have a PGCE interview tomorrow (Wednesday), and I was hoping for some last minute guidance if possible.

Has anyone else attended a PGCE interview online given the pandemic? If so, could you please advise of the structure of your interview so I can know what to expect? I have been told the interview will be on MS Teams, so should I expect a group interview as well as an individual one? What happens during these group sessions given it's online?
Note: I have not been asked to present anything, rather just speak about "what makes effective maths teaching and learning" - the same question that I was asked to write about for my written task in advance.*

Unfortunately I have been told that I will be informed on the day what we will be doing, so my preparation so far has been guesswork consisting mainly of familiarising myself with the current maths syllabus, sitting old GCSE exams for practice and rehersing answers for a list of commonly asked questions.

*I have been asked to complete a written task in advance, which I am about to email accross to my interviewer later today. I have written a page (as my handwriting is quite large), but I feel I could write so much more. Would it be sufficient that I have covered several points and expanded slightly on them, or should I continue writing onto the back of the page?

Any advice or mention of your experiences would be greatly appreciated ladies and gents! :redface:

You sound as well prepared as you can be. Good luck and remember you are applying to a shortage subject and they will really want you.
Bricking it, at the moment :redface:
Original post by El.Capitán
Bricking it, at the moment :redface:

Good luck!!! You will be great, you sound very prepared! If it helps any, when I did my PGCE interview, the interviewer couldn't have been any more lovely. It was one of the best interview experiences I've had!
Original post by stephanieg1992
Good luck!!! You will be great, you sound very prepared! If it helps any, when I did my PGCE interview, the interviewer couldn't have been any more lovely. It was one of the best interview experiences I've had!

Thanks!

It went was well as it could have, minus a hickup when answering a subject knowledge test question, though the interviewer said that he was satisfied with the rest of my answers to ascertain I know enough

I will find out if I have been successful by tomorrow they said, so we will see if I did enough...
Ah, I wouldn't worry, no interview goes 100% perfectly and you've got an entire year to scrub up on your subject knowledge, I don't think that's something that would go against you particularly. Fingers crossed!!
Hi, I have been given an interview date for a Math PGCE interview in a few weeks. In my interview they said I will be given a Math task which I will complete either on my own with tutors or with other people being interviewed. Did you have to do something like this? Because I have no idea what that will consist of or what to expect and I'm really nervous! Also what kind of subject knowledge questions were you asked?

Quick Reply

Latest