Google claims to have negated its historical carbon footprint

Watch
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Google says its carbon footprint is now zero and has compensated for all the carbon it has ever emitted. The company supposedly became carbon-neutral in 2007.

BBC report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54141899

What do you think about this claim? Can they really have recaptured the same amount of carbon as they have ever emitted? Does anyone know how this is even calculated?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
On the one hand it claims to have wiped out its carbon footprint and in the next paragraph, no less, it then admits to not being able to deal with its data centers till 2030? I call bull.

Not least because it seems to be using that art of jiggery pockery. Besdies, if its at all plugged into the grid (which i'm willing to bet they are) they're still using fossil fuel, no matter what those marzipan dildos playing around with carbon credit trading say.

Damn im a a cynical *******
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
On the one hand it claims to have wiped out its carbon footprint and in the next paragraph, no less, it then admits to not being able to deal with its data centers till 2030? I call bull.

Not least because it seems to be using that art of jiggery pockery. Besdies, if its at all plugged into the grid (which i'm willing to bet they are) they're still using fossil fuel, no matter what those marzipan dildos playing around with carbon credit trading say.

Damn im a a cynical *******
Yes, I was a tad confused by that point too.

Well exactly, but I suppose we must at least applaud the effort to reduce their impact upon the planet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
23.04%
No (157)
76.96%

Watched Threads