Dealing with flatmates at Uni as an introvert

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm aware that uni is all about being social and making friends, however my roomates seem like really social people who either have friends over or are going out. When they ask me to join them, I'm not really that interested or want to go out really. Especially now with the circumstances. As a homebody and reserved introvert whose social battery goes quick how can I deal with this? I don't want this to be an on going issue or cause awkward issues.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Same...but go out with them once a week until you get used to it. You can make so many friends in just those days. At some point you just gotta force yourself to put yourself out there. You need confidence for many aspects of your life x. As an introvert you won’t really regret not going out but tell yourself it’ll be fun and it’s an opportunity to experience new things x
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm aware that uni is all about being social and making friends, however my roomates seem like really social people who either have friends over or are going out. When they ask me to join them, I'm not really that interested or want to go out really. Especially now with the circumstances. As a homebody and reserved introvert whose social battery goes quick how can I deal with this? I don't want this to be an on going issue or cause awkward issues.
Hi @Anonymous,

I'm going into my second year at university and I'm a massive introvert too.

I would say that it's really important not to feel pressured or forced to do anything that you don't want to do. If you don't want to go out, that shouldn't be a problem. In the first week or so, you could perhaps try and engage with your flatmates with their hobbies and interests, to see if there are any commonalities. If you also just tell them the truth, most people at university are really respectful of this, and a lot of universities also do put on specific activities for those who don't want to go clubbing or anything.

As someone else has said, it's always worth a try in the first few days, to see if you enjoy it, and to meet new people as an experience, but absolutely don't feel pressured into anything, and particularly considering the current circumstances, most people should be understanding. There are plenty of other people who don't actually go out - and even those who do go out have nights in, once in a while! - so it's really a matter of just exploring and trying to meet like-minded people. Good ways to do this include joining societies and attending events that do interest you.

You can read my blogs about leading up to Welcome week last year and during Welcome Week to see what it was like for me as an introvert - and the fact that there were a lot of events available. Evidently, it will be different this year - but arguably new plans and events might be more aimed at introverts anyway!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hiya!

Firstly don't worry, this is a really common issue that lots of students will be feeling so you aren't alone.

Have a look at things to do near you, like any parks, nice walks, cinemas or beaches, (even better if they are free!) that you could ask them to visit with. Not only can you then get to know them more but you can learn about your local area and grasp your bearings. Also, whenever you need to do a food shop, or need to pop to Wilko to get something ask them if they would like to go. I found this a really important way to get to know my housemates better in first year. Create a flat group chat on Whatsapp of Instagram perhaps to make it easier to drop a message to everyone to ask about doing flat things together (like a flat movie night, or a flat fajita night in!)

University is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone which is sadly never an easy thing to do but it is always worth it! Some people are very "going out" people but your flatmates should be very understanding if you let them know and be honest with them about how you don't want to be going out all the time!

Have the best time at uni. Sam- Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi @Anonymous,

I'm going into my second year at university and I'm a massive introvert too.

I would say that it's really important not to feel pressured or forced to do anything that you don't want to do. If you don't want to go out, that shouldn't be a problem. In the first week or so, you could perhaps try and engage with your flatmates with their hobbies and interests, to see if there are any commonalities. If you also just tell them the truth, most people at university are really respectful of this, and a lot of universities also do put on specific activities for those who don't want to go clubbing or anything.

As someone else has said, it's always worth a try in the first few days, to see if you enjoy it, and to meet new people as an experience, but absolutely don't feel pressured into anything, and particularly considering the current circumstances, most people should be understanding. There are plenty of other people who don't actually go out - and even those who do go out have nights in, once in a while! - so it's really a matter of just exploring and trying to meet like-minded people. Good ways to do this include joining societies and attending events that do interest you.

You can read my blogs about leading up to Welcome week last year and during Welcome Week to see what it was like for me as an introvert - and the fact that there were a lot of events available. Evidently, it will be different this year - but arguably new plans and events might be more aimed at introverts anyway!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Thank you..This was really helpful!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hiya!

Firstly don't worry, this is a really common issue that lots of students will be feeling so you aren't alone.

Have a look at things to do near you, like any parks, nice walks, cinemas or beaches, (even better if they are free!) that you could ask them to visit with. Not only can you then get to know them more but you can learn about your local area and grasp your bearings. Also, whenever you need to do a food shop, or need to pop to Wilko to get something ask them if they would like to go. I found this a really important way to get to know my housemates better in first year. Create a flat group chat on Whatsapp of Instagram perhaps to make it easier to drop a message to everyone to ask about doing flat things together (like a flat movie night, or a flat fajita night in!)

University is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone which is sadly never an easy thing to do but it is always worth it! Some people are very "going out" people but your flatmates should be very understanding if you let them know and be honest with them about how you don't want to be going out all the time!

Have the best time at uni. Sam- Official Student Rep
Thank you, I will try these out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (169)
14.68%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.39%

Watched Threads