US issues partial trade ban from Xinjiang

Watch
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Please see the highlighted bit for the truly offensive phrasing coming over this. Whilst i fully approve of (at least) issuing trade bans and sanctioning the hell out of them for these crimes against humanity the CCP is perpetrating, to call an extremely limited trade ban an 'extraordinary response' is a disservice to those who actually suffering under the jackboot of Beijing.
Alas this does further cement the old adage that 'might is right' and the worlds big players are not subject to any rules. For instance, if any other small country had tried to do something like this there would be uproar or perhaps carpet bombing (Kosovo anybody?) But here? basically nothing.

The US will block some exports from China's Xinjiang region, over alleged human rights abuses against the mostly Muslim Uighur minority.
It says "forced labour" was used to make the products, including at a "vocational" centre it called a "concentration camp".
The export ban targets five entities shipping clothing and other cotton goods, as well as computer parts and hair products to the US.
It stops short of a wider regional ban.
"These extraordinary human rights violations demand an extraordinary response," Kenneth Cuccinelli, the Department of Homeland Security's acting secretary told reporters.

(...)
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54155809
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Please see the highlighted bit for the truly offensive phrasing coming over this. Whilst i fully approve of (at least) issuing trade bans and sanctioning the hell out of them for these crimes against humanity the CCP is perpetrating, to call an extremely limited trade ban an 'extraordinary response' is a disservice to those who actually suffering under the jackboot of Beijing.
Alas this does further cement the old adage that 'might is right' and the worlds big players are not subject to any rules. For instance, if any other small country had tried to do something like this there would be uproar or perhaps carpet bombing (Kosovo anybody?) But here? basically nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54155809
You are correct about this. I remember that the War in Kosovo was fought against Yugoslavia, on the grounds of it being a "humanitarian intervention". Yet as this isn't Yugoslavia, but instead China next to nothing happens. Not even a "wider regional trade ban", let alone a trade ban on all goods from China.
howisladypole
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good! The whole country next please. I wish something would be done about the Uyghurs but so many are in China's back pocket.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
23.04%
No (157)
76.96%

Watched Threads