Has anyone ever made a citizens arrest? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sloaney87
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Do they even exist?
If someone tried making one on me id just laugh and walk away...
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I haven't but my brother did one on a pick pocket once although he use to be in the Police so he had the training
Davie_Moyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What is a citizens arrest?
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Basically don't bother: citizen's arrest is extremely dangerous. You are also liable to be sued under the tort of false imprisonment. Furthermore, if you falsely deprive somebody of their liberties ("arrest" them) then they can also legally use reasonably force to resist.

Basically you have to reasonably believe someone has committed or witness somebody committing an arrestable offence...

The police would really rather you wouldn't though, it's very dangerous both in terms of danger to your physical-self and in terms of your legal liability.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Basically it should be used as an absolute last resort where you know 100% that the person is responsible for committing an arrestible offence.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
I think, bringing up my immense GCSE Law skills, a person can arrest and detain people who commit cartain serious ("arrestable") offences.

The reason no-one ever does it is because they can be easily sued if they get it wrong, unlike with a police officer.
KuinKra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not even sure it's legally allowed. You'd probably get sued, or something.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Basically don't bother: citizen's arrest is extremely dangerous. You are also liable to be sued under the tort of false imprisonment. Furthermore, if you falsely deprive somebody of their liberties ("arrest" them) then they can also legally use reasonably force to resist.

Basically you have to reasonably believe someone has committed or witness somebody committing an arrestable offence...

The police would really rather you wouldn't though, it's very dangerous both in terms of danger to your physical-self and in terms of your legal liability.
That's what I meant to say, only quicker.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
An example might be if you see somebody smashing a car window - it might very well turn out to be their own car and they'd locked the keys inside, and needed to get home for whatever reason - but a reasonable man could believe that the person is committing a crime, and thus in that instance a citizens arrest would be legal - even if it later turned out it was the owner of the car smashing the window.
Icemantim20
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't risk it myself.
Don't want to be punched in the face whilst trying to enforce one.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1580)
79.32%
Leave (412)
20.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed