acrossthepond01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a fresher at UCL and the criminal law faculty's given us a choice for 4 textbooks:
Simester and Sullivan’s Criminal Law: Theory and Doctrine
Smith, Hogan and Ormerod’s Criminal Law
Ashworth’s Principles of Criminal Law
MacDonald, Text, Cases and Materials on Criminal Law

I think the decision for me is going to be choosing one of the first two (Simester vs. Smith), and one of the other two (Ashworth's vs. MacDonald).

Any suggestions? I keep seeing positives/negatives to getting all of the textbooks, and as an indecisive dummy, I can't pull the trigger, esp. with the weight that a textbook might have in how I perform in the class.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks Also, any advice from someone from UCL would be sick .
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by acrossthepond01)
I'm a fresher at UCL and the criminal law faculty's given us a choice for 4 textbooks:

I think the decision for me is going to be choosing one of the first two (Simester vs. Smith), and one of the other two (Ashworth's vs. MacDonald).

Any suggestions? I keep seeing positives/negatives to getting all of the textbooks, and as an indecisive dummy, I can't pull the trigger, esp. with the weight that a textbook might have in how I perform in the class.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks Also, any advice from someone from UCL would be sick .
Hello acrossthepond01,

Hope you are doing well!

I would recommend seeing if you are able to find extracts of the book online or in person if you have access to the books, then see which ones you find the easiest to understand. Everyone prefers different writing techniques, so you may find that one of them is easier for you to understand than the rest.

I hope this will be able to help you somewhat. I am a law student at Brookes, so I understand the difficulty there can be in choosing the right textbook for you. If you have anymore questions, please do feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help.

All the best,

Shaf
acrossthepond01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hello acrossthepond01,

Hope you are doing well!

I would recommend seeing if you are able to find extracts of the book online or in person if you have access to the books, then see which ones you find the easiest to understand. Everyone prefers different writing techniques, so you may find that one of them is easier for you to understand than the rest.

I hope this will be able to help you somewhat. I am a law student at Brookes, so I understand the difficulty there can be in choosing the right textbook for you. If you have anymore questions, please do feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help.

All the best,

Shaf
Shoot, that's brilliant! I hadn't thought of checking the texts, I'll go and do that tomorrow then! Is that available online? I'm assuming excerpts are available in online bookstores?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd personally recommend the Smith, Hogan and Omerod book.

I've been using it for the past two years and it's been brilliant. All of the explanations are laid out clearly and explained very well, it covers all of the main case examples that you'll likely go through and at the end of each chapter it explains how best to tackle exam questions according to each topic.

That being said it is best to go to the library and see if you can find any of the books from these authors, everyone works well with different things.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
amazon has a "look inside" function.

Personally, if they all look similar, i'd go for whichever is cheapest second hand (but making sure you have same edition).

And i generally end up buying a less academic book as well to the subject (unlocking series maybe) to aid when all that complex wording is getting too much (they are good on criminal law cases, less on theories of criminal law)
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Bearing in mind the decision-making process you outlined above, your best choices are Smith & Hogan and Ashworth. However, it really doesn't matter which ones you pick. This really isn't a choice that i can see affecting your class performance. If it mattered which book you chose, you would have been told so.
Last edited by RV3112; 1 week ago
acrossthepond01
Rep:
?
Thanks guys! That was hugely helpful! If Smith vs. Simester doesn't present any huge difference, I'll probably end up going with Smith and Hogan based on the advice in here!
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Shoot, that's brilliant! I hadn't thought of checking the texts, I'll go and do that tomorrow then! Is that available online? I'm assuming excerpts are available in online bookstores?
Hi acrossthepond01,

Yes as mentioned by another user above, you should be able to find the extracts on Amazon through the 'look inside' option. However if that is not available, you could always have a look at any libraries online and see if they have an ebook version which you could look through!

All the best,

Shaf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (46)
23.96%
Less motivated (146)
76.04%

Watched Threads