Returning to education as an adult

Watch this thread
Shvxw
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Firstly, if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I apologise! Very new to this site! Please direct me on where’s best and I shall delete and repost.

As a brief of background on myself, my name is Shannon I am age 21 and have been in constant employment since 16. My end goal is to study cellular and molecular medicine at university.
However, I dropped out of school before being able to sit my GCSEs. Thus, I have no qualifications. I would like to give a bit of background on myself, my experiences working, my plan and my expectations on what’s to come. I’ll title each section so it’s easier to navigate. It’s going to be long!

Ultimately, I’m asking on advice on how to achieve my goal of going to university to study an area of medical sciences.

School

I went to school up North and was an A/A* student planning on progressing onto the international baccalaureate at collage. My strongest subjects being Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and English. It has always been my dream to progress into sciences, particularly biology, if I was to continue with academics. However, for reasons beyond my control, I was set to move from Merseyside to near Devon about a month before my GCSEs.
The school I joined had completely different exam boards, so for example separate sciences was AQA at my previous and now OCR. None of my course work could be carried over and I needed time to learn the curriculums. Thus, I was moved down a year.
The school was horrific, to put it bluntly. It was like a horror story. I didn’t fit in particularly well either, I was isolated and bullied to be frank. I begged and pleaded for them to put me back up to year 11 but they refused. So I enquired sitting my GCSEs at the local collage. They said they didn’t run GCSE courses there (which was a lie, they do). As much as I loved school I just couldn’t handle it anymore. I had an incident with attempting suicide and once it got to the point where the year 11’s legally left. I basically stuck my fingers up and went I don’t need to be here anymore and left.

Work

Once I was back on my feet I stared working full time. It was about 2 months after leaving school. Funnily enough, another area I’ve always been passionate about is chefing. So thus begun my career as a chef. I am now a fully competent/ qualified Kitchen Manager and can run a restaurant from a kitchens perspective and also as an Assistant Manager on the front of house. I did have about a 9 month break from chefing, I worked for a call centre on behalf of John Lewis Technical Support. After just 3 months of the role I was promoted to Customer Relations Manager and dealt with head office complaints. My secondment ended after 6 months and I decided to leave the role to return to chefing. I pride myself that I have always been very hard working and disciplined.

My plan

I love what I do, but it’s never been my first choice. It’s because of this I want to return to education and I feel ready to do so at the start of the next academic year.
The only GCSEs my local collage runs (Bristol) are English, Mathematics and Biology. I hope to sit these and progress onto the Science Access to HE. I understand this isn’t particularly much; however, I am open to consider privately sitting A levels that my collage doesn’t offer. I just need to research this further.
Ultimately my dream course would be cellular and molecular medicine. My love for science has never stopped and I attend talks, buy books and learn in my spare time (sad i know!). I’m planning on once I’ve acquired my GCSEs to find an entry level job somewhere that would compliment my application to said course.

I know it’s going to be hard work and there’s no easy route. I understand I’m likely going to be turned down for places and have to work twice as hard to prove myself. But I’m prepared for that. Managing my expectations is a massive thing for me, as much as I’m a dreamer on doing big and great things, I need to be realistic!

I want to know people’s opinions on my situation, what they believe will be the best course of action to achieve my goal. If they believe my goal is achievable. I am due to discuss this with the collage; however, I thought why not post it on here too.
Any advice or experience would be fantastic, I welcome any constructive feedback with open arms also.

Sorry for the long post, I feel how I left education and what I’ve done/ achieved between then and returning to collage will be relevant in the application process.
Thank you for your time reading this and I look forward to the replies
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shvxw)
Firstly, if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I apologise! Very new to this site! Please direct me on where’s best and I shall delete and repost.

As a brief of background on myself, my name is Shannon I am age 21 and have been in constant employment since 16. My end goal is to study cellular and molecular medicine at university.
However, I dropped out of school before being able to sit my GCSEs. Thus, I have no qualifications. I would like to give a bit of background on myself, my experiences working, my plan and my expectations on what’s to come. I’ll title each section so it’s easier to navigate. It’s going to be long!

Ultimately, I’m asking on advice on how to achieve my goal of going to university to study an area of medical sciences.

School

I went to school up North and was an A/A* student planning on progressing onto the international baccalaureate at collage. My strongest subjects being Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and English. It has always been my dream to progress into sciences, particularly biology, if I was to continue with academics. However, for reasons beyond my control, I was set to move from Merseyside to near Devon about a month before my GCSEs.
The school I joined had completely different exam boards, so for example separate sciences was AQA at my previous and now OCR. None of my course work could be carried over and I needed time to learn the curriculums. Thus, I was moved down a year.
The school was horrific, to put it bluntly. It was like a horror story. I didn’t fit in particularly well either, I was isolated and bullied to be frank. I begged and pleaded for them to put me back up to year 11 but they refused. So I enquired sitting my GCSEs at the local collage. They said they didn’t run GCSE courses there (which was a lie, they do). As much as I loved school I just couldn’t handle it anymore. I had an incident with attempting suicide and once it got to the point where the year 11’s legally left. I basically stuck my fingers up and went I don’t need to be here anymore and left.

Work

Once I was back on my feet I stared working full time. It was about 2 months after leaving school. Funnily enough, another area I’ve always been passionate about is chefing. So thus begun my career as a chef. I am now a fully competent/ qualified Kitchen Manager and can run a restaurant from a kitchens perspective and also as an Assistant Manager on the front of house. I did have about a 9 month break from chefing, I worked for a call centre on behalf of John Lewis Technical Support. After just 3 months of the role I was promoted to Customer Relations Manager and dealt with head office complaints. My secondment ended after 6 months and I decided to leave the role to return to chefing. I pride myself that I have always been very hard working and disciplined.

My plan

I love what I do, but it’s never been my first choice. It’s because of this I want to return to education and I feel ready to do so at the start of the next academic year.
The only GCSEs my local collage runs (Bristol) are English, Mathematics and Biology. I hope to sit these and progress onto the Science Access to HE. I understand this isn’t particularly much; however, I am open to consider privately sitting A levels that my collage doesn’t offer. I just need to research this further.
Ultimately my dream course would be cellular and molecular medicine. My love for science has never stopped and I attend talks, buy books and learn in my spare time (sad i know!). I’m planning on once I’ve acquired my GCSEs to find an entry level job somewhere that would compliment my application to said course.

I know it’s going to be hard work and there’s no easy route. I understand I’m likely going to be turned down for places and have to work twice as hard to prove myself. But I’m prepared for that. Managing my expectations is a massive thing for me, as much as I’m a dreamer on doing big and great things, I need to be realistic!

I want to know people’s opinions on my situation, what they believe will be the best course of action to achieve my goal. If they believe my goal is achievable. I am due to discuss this with the collage; however, I thought why not post it on here too.
Any advice or experience would be fantastic, I welcome any constructive feedback with open arms also.

Sorry for the long post, I feel how I left education and what I’ve done/ achieved between then and returning to collage will be relevant in the application process.
Thank you for your time reading this and I look forward to the replies
Sounds like you have a good plan, do bare in mind you may need to do a foundation year at some universities after the access course.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You won't need to consider taking A-levels if you plan on doing the Access Course as it's regarded as an equivalent qualification. Not all universities will accept the Access Course although the majority will, it's best to bear that in mind if you plan on applying to particular universities.
Shvxw
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
You won't need to consider taking A-levels if you plan on doing the Access Course as it's regarded as an equivalent qualification. Not all universities will accept the Access Course although the majority will, it's best to bear that in mind if you plan on applying to particular universities.
I think my best corse of action is contacting the collage/ university directly to see what’s preferred. If I’m able to do the access to HE course and that be enough that would be pretty convenient!
Bristol university have pretty close links with the collage from my understanding. It may be that I have to start on a foundation degree and work my way up to the level I want to do. But definitely something I need to look into more and bare in mind if I do relocate and not stay local. Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads