LElizabeth02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What can you say about what the roots of cubic with complex coefficients will be ?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LElizabeth02)
What can you say about what the roots of cubic with complex coefficients will be ?
They will not necessarily occur in conjugate pairs.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 week ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
They will not occur in conjugate pairs.
Some of this is going to be a bit pedantic, but I think this question is actually a bit of a minefield.

Firstly, \mathbb{R} \subset \mathbb{C}, so arguably x^2 + 1 is still a poly with complex coefficients.

But even if we exclude this bit of pedantry, obviously ix^2 + i is a poly with complex coefficients.

To get around that, let's insist that our poly is monic. Then what about x^3 - ix^2 + x - i = (x-i)^2(x+i). At a minimum, this has (a pair of) roots that come in conjugate pairs; arguably, *all* of its roots come in conjugate pairs (if you say that the only *roots* are x = i, x = -i).

It's probably one of those questions where you really need to ask the OP why they're asking.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Always a pleasure to read your expositions - PRSOM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (24)
23.3%
No (79)
76.7%

Watched Threads