How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

Watch
Poll: How are you feeling ahead of starting University?
I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.62%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (95)
34.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.39%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (64)
22.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.02%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
If you are starting university this or next week, it's an exciting and nerve-wracking time!

Moving into accommodation, meeting new people and starting your course - there are lots of new experiences ahead

How are you feeling ahead of setting off for uni?

Are you excited, or do new Covid-19 restrictions around groups of no more of 6 gathering bring around any concerns?

Have you had much communication from your university about Freshers activities? If so, what do you think about them?

Let us know your thoughts!
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
yeah I'm just worried that other people will not take it seriously. I already know some deluded people from my school who think that covid is harmless and it's all a joke,
Ramipril
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I've been at university for two weeks. My social life hasn't actually been that different to last year :lol: I'm glad I'm not a fresher because it's going to be a disappointment for them but otherwise I'm glad to be back
LaPregunta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
yeah I'm just worried that other people will not take it seriously. I already know some deluded people from my school who think that covid is harmless and it's all a joke,
They might not be deluded, because I make a similar point.
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
They might not be deluded, because I make a similar point.
and your point is?
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
and your point is?
That it is only really dangerous for people who are fifty or over-fifty and have no "underlying health conditions". And, if you wish to mention "with underlying health conditions", I think it's only really dangerous for people who are fourty and over-fourty.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 days ago
That it is only really dangerous for people who are fifty or over-fifty and have no "underlying health conditions". And, if you wish to mention "with underlying health conditions", I think it's only really dangerous for people who are fourty and over-fourty.
Even if you don't die from it, there are still people who will experience long-term after effects. Young people aren't immune. Even if you don't die, you could end up being seriously ill, and just because you might not be seriously effected if you caught it, does not mean your parents or your grandparents won't become very ill.

Young people can die from it too. I know it's very rare but it's not impossible and therefore I don't think we should treat the virus as some sort of joke. For many young people it might just be a bad flu but that's still an uncomfortable and a likely torturing experience.
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I am really excited to start this year, aside from going out clubbing and having freshers events which kind of sucks. However, I am 20 so I have had a few years clubbing and can honestly say the excitement wares off after a while.

As for the new measures of the RO6 I dont think that anyone will follow it at uni as there isnt much the uni can do to stop them.

Im really excited to get to know my flatmates and move away from home for the first time (even though im living just 10 minutes away from my house ) although I am concerned me and my flatmates might be very different. (i like to drink/smoke/put on loud music)

As for freshers events this year, we have quite a few events on such as a pizza and film event, lots of sports events (a predominantly sports university so kind of expected that) and a kahoot event xD

Also just as I was about to send this reply, I got a message from one of the onsite officers for my uni and they have said that we are not allowed to go into other peoples halls under any circumstances even when there is less than 6 people in. (that rule is probably going to be broken a lot)
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
people aged below 21 have died from the virus. Also, by catching the virus you are putting other members (eg family members) at risk.

Also it isn't exactly a very fun thing to experience now is it?
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Even if you don't die from it, there are still people who will experience long-term after effects. Young people aren't immune. Even if you don't die, you could end up being seriously ill, and just because you might not be seriously effected if you caught it, does not mean your parents or your grandparents won't become very ill.

Young people can die from it too. I know it's very rare but it's not impossible and therefore I don't think we should treat the virus as some sort of joke. For many young people it might just be a bad flu but that's still an uncomfortable and a likely torturing experience.
You missed my point... I'm beginnin to tire of people missin the point. Of what you speak is "potentially's"— I'm not impressed.

It is not a joke, I do not want something that particularly affects older relatives to be taken as a joke; nor do I want my education, and others who are dear to me, to be subject to this mad covid cult; nor do I wish to see sacrificed the family and/or long-running businesses, to which I am known and familiar, to close. You are fortunate Her Majesty's government and the harmonious Houses of Parliament, in which it is situated, take your view, not mine.

Oh, just to let you know... I caught it, I'll save the references to torture for people who were tortured, not young people who catch it.
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
people aged below 21 have died from the virus. Also, by catching the virus you are putting other members (eg family members) at risk.

Also it isn't exactly a very fun thing to experience now is it?
I do read the news, you speak truths but I'm saying a death of someone aged 0-19 is unlikely. My point is statistically accurate, but largely unappreciated.

No one likes being sick. It's never a fun thing. The meanin of this enquiry?
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
generally, i am very very excited to begin and move out. i can't wait to meet new people, i'm looking forward to having work again, and i'm excited for the whole experience. :woo: :yep:

we're definitely missing out on a lot, though
hajima
Report 2 days ago
I do read the news, you speak truths but I'm saying a death of someone aged 0-19 is unlikely. My point is statistically accurate, but largely unappreciated.

For most reasonable young people with no underlying health conditions, the concern is not for themselves, it is for those that have compromised immune systems or cannot otherwise effectively fight the virus. When young people don’t take it seriously, chains of transmission begin that quickly reach the vulnerable, leading to death.

Nobody is doubting the statistics.
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

that I/ my family have to suffer due to the irresponsibility of others
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by hajima)
For most reasonable young people with no underlying health conditions, the concern is not for themselves, it is for those that have compromised immune systems or cannot otherwise effectively fight the virus. When young people don’t take it seriously, chains of transmission begin that quickly reach the vulnerable, leading to death.

Nobody is doubting the statistics.
Inference tells me your thought of me is someone unreasonable. Apart from that, a rather sound analysis. :borat:
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
that I/ my family have to suffer due to the irresponsibility of others
I hope you might be able to help me with a problem I have. I'll tell you, I'm a bit puzzled by this irresponsibility argument. If "you/ your family" observe the measures, how do you manage to suffer? I'm very puzzled but please make allowances for my weak mind.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Frustrated with the current coronavirus measures and guidelines, I'm worries that the social experience will be underwhelming and disappointing.
bhacs
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I can't enrol because it's been put on hold - my dbs application had to be resubmitted and my occupational health form came back really late. I'm supposed to start on monday !
Anonymous #2
Report 3 hours ago
People don't seem to give a toss about the rules at my uni. I expected this, honestly. Security have had to stop some parties, and an ambulance has been called for some reason. I'm sure that there'll be an outbreak here, and tbh I kinda wish I'd stayed at home even though I do like living on campus (except when people are noisy/shouting because they're bladdered).

Just gotta hope that no one gets seriously ill from students being lax about the rules and potentially spreading it to others. :/
Anonymous #3
Report 1 hour ago
i’m feeling quite annoyed that i have to pay for accommodation and i am staying in my home town to do online lectures. is there anything we can do about this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.62%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (95)
34.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.39%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (64)
22.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.02%

Watched Threads