Ovobor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all
Quick question about plate boundaries. How come we dont need to know what happens at a divergent oceanic-continental? Is it because none of them exist?

Thanks!
Megaman101
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well you only need to know about divergent plates as a continental-continental divergent plate would have the exactly the same thing happen at a oceanic-continental divergent plate.
Eg a volcano
But when I done a level geography last year - I’m now studying geology at uni - the theory for tectonics was useless and no questions are ever asked on it - it’s all about development, governance etc the later topics in the chapter so don’t stress if you don’t understand all the theory behind it
Ovobor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Megaman101)
Well you only need to know about divergent plates as a continental-continental divergent plate would have the exactly the same thing happen at a oceanic-continental divergent plate.
Eg a volcano
But when I done a level geography last year - I’m now studying geology at uni - the theory for tectonics was useless and no questions are ever asked on it - it’s all about development, governance etc the later topics in the chapter so don’t stress if you don’t understand all the theory behind it
Ok thanks. I was looking at a revision guide though and they don’t seem to have an example of this boundary.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ovobor)
Hi all
Quick question about plate boundaries. How come we dont need to know what happens at a divergent oceanic-continental? Is it because none of them exist?

Thanks!
I'm not aware of any that exist - divergent plate boundaries will tend to generate oceanic crust if they exist for a significant amount of time so it would be quite difficult to get an oceanic-continental divergent boundary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.13%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
15.7%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.36%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (16)
13.22%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
30.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (23)
19.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise