The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends what you build it out of
My brother in law is an architect, his father is an architect and his brother is a carpenter/builder so for me; yes :P

Answer is you can't do it all alone; certain things need to be done by qualified professionals; everything needs to be certified and under building regs. Don't do it unless you are very rich and have a lot of time to dedicate to it.
Reply 3
Well i suppose you can only build them out of either brick or wood. Even if you build it out of wood you can still brick clad it from what ive seen!
Reply 4
if you build it from a flat-packed house from Ikea, its really hard... The instructions are hard to follow and never have the right peices. But if you get all the bricks and piping and roofing yourself etc, its quite easy but stressful.... Boxes make good houses but need to be re-built usually every 7 days for me

You can get certain building contractors who'll build your house how you'd like... you just need to buy the land first
Reply 5
http://www.scandia-hus.co.uk/kithomes.htm

Flat-pack homes :biggrin:

I guess these are easier and cheaper than having an architect designed property.
Reply 6
It might be cheaper and easier to buy a flat pack home, but the only reason i want to build my own home is so i can have it exactly how i want it and have a so-called dream home!
Reply 7
You can have bespoke ScandiaHus's, I think, that come as flat-packs in the same way as the pre-designed ones; but I might be wrong.

I'd love to build my own house, but it'll be decades before I'd even be able to think about it :frown:
Reply 8
Lukeyblue
Is it easy to do?

my family did it and all i can say is that you shouldn't underestimate how long it will take. Everyone we know who also built their own house took at least 5 years to finish the project. It's not a piece of cake.
in the UK the most difficult thing is to find a plot of land, it's not that easy really and they are quite expensive in the UK. But depending on where you live you can build a house for less money than you can buy one for.
Reply 9
Lukeyblue
It might be cheaper and easier to buy a flat pack home, but the only reason i want to build my own home is so i can have it exactly how i want it and have a so-called dream home!

flat pack is the best way to go and most companies offer that you can design the house yourself in conjunction with an arcitect, so it's exactly what you want. tip: make sure you build a cellar, it adds a lot of room.
Reply 10
I think flat pack is cheating though. If you truely want to build your own house, why bother getting flat pack where things are already pre assembled! I would love to design my own home in conjuction with an architect then look around for the cheapest materials to build my house. I know it could take years, but that is what friends and family are for! To help! He he!
A cellar and an outhouse! I plan for big things! I know... land prices suck, but i would take a massive gamble and buy some land without planning permission and work til i get it!
As long as you've got the land and the money and a decent caravan to sleep in for a good while its easy!
Reply 12
extreme makeover home edition ftw!!

its nothing like that...:no:
We had a house built for us.

Then my father went and sold it 5 years later. >(
Me Myself I
http://www.scandia-hus.co.uk/kithomes.htm

Flat-pack homes :biggrin:

I guess these are easier and cheaper than having an architect designed property.

They cost a fortune !:yep:
we arent quite building a house but aree converting a old barn that had four walls and nothing much else its hard work even hiring people we are into our 3rd year and have about 2 years to go bearing in mind tho its getting done bit by bit as parents dont want a loan for it
Watch Grand Designs. You will soon pick up that you will over encounter problems with building a house, you will go overbudget and it will always take longer than expected. You will have your dream home and you will enjoy it as you can't afford to go anywhere due to the amount of debt you are in.

I know a friend who father built them a house. It was a large house too, very nice. The problem was stress, mainly as it took ages to finish.
Ok now Im saying the three little pigs story in my head.. :p:
I'll huff and Ill puff and Ill blow your house down. :p:
we built our own house (not me, my parents hehe)
it took about 4 years, from buying the land, getting permission, re-doing the plans, etc.
don't know how much it cost to build
but when we had it valued, it was worth just over £1 million.
it felt like it took forever to be honest, lol.
but it's worth it because it's our dream house.

Latest

Trending

Trending