The Student Room Group

UNI CHOICE DILEMMA for 2021 UG LAW

I’m applying for the 2021 entry for undergraduate law, I have about 3 weeks till I need to send my application.

I’m an international student, with A level equivalent of A*A*A* ( I’m from India, got 93%in CBSE) , have my IELTS in order (overall 8 w a min of 7 in writing) and I’ll be taking my LNAT on the 3rd of October which I’m confident about right now.

My PS is strong and well balanced too, strong EC and and co-curriculars related to law and law work experience as an intern during my gap year.

I’m confused about my choices, so far I’ve decided on Oxford, KCL and QMUL ( back up uni ).

I don’t know which 2 unis to choose out of Durham, Bristol and LSE.

I want to be in an around London but I’m not very keen on LSE but my parents are.

In terms of campus life, course structure/style and career placements how would your rank LSE, Durham and BRistol? ( I’ve heard Durham is where the elites (I’m not a part of that crowd iykwim) and Oxford rejects?¿ go but also that BRistol is a party uni)

Thanks for the tag:smile:

Firstly, you obviously have great grades! Well done:biggrin: I'm glad you're feeling confident with the LNAT.

Right now, Oxford, KCL and QMUL are all good choices. You hopefully shouldn't have an issue with QMUL, as long as your PS is up to scratch. Obviously with quite a few people taking gap years this year and applying for this UCAS cycle, nothing is guaranteed and there may be a bit of extra competition. Nothing can be guessed right now, but it's worth keeping that in mind.

Durham, Bristol and LSE are all amazing choices! You seem to be more keen on Durham than the others. Also, the negative stereotype of Durham being for Oxbridge-rejects has always annoyed me. Even if that's true, surely it would show Durham in a more positive light? Those applying for Oxbridge tend to be hard-workers and smart...

Bristol has a good night life, but I wouldn't call it a 'party university'! It's perfectly respectable, especially for Law.

Don't apply for LSE if you don't want to. You'll be paying so much money and LSE is quite intense and there are a few 'negatives' mainly around teaching quality, so if you don't want to apply then don't! Imo you should stick with Bristol and Durham.

I'm not sure about career prospects and things like that, but I can't imagine that they're too different among the three universities.

In terms of course structure, you should look for yourself and see what you like. Imo LSE optional modules seem quite interesting, but not much more so than Durham's and Bristol's.

Regardless, I think you should definitely stick to your original three choices! Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Euphoria101
Thanks for the tag:smile:

Firstly, you obviously have great grades! Well done:biggrin: I'm glad you're feeling confident with the LNAT.

Right now, Oxford, KCL and QMUL are all good choices. You hopefully shouldn't have an issue with QMUL, as long as your PS is up to scratch. Obviously with quite a few people taking gap years this year and applying for this UCAS cycle, nothing is guaranteed and there may be a bit of extra competition. Nothing can be guessed right now, but it's worth keeping that in mind.

Durham, Bristol and LSE are all amazing choices! You seem to be more keen on Durham than the others. Also, the negative stereotype of Durham being for Oxbridge-rejects has always annoyed me. Even if that's true, surely it would show Durham in a more positive light? Those applying for Oxbridge tend to be hard-workers and smart...

Bristol has a good night life, but I wouldn't call it a 'party university'! It's perfectly respectable, especially for Law.

Don't apply for LSE if you don't want to. You'll be paying so much money and LSE is quite intense and there are a few 'negatives' mainly around teaching quality, so if you don't want to apply then don't! Imo you should stick with Bristol and Durham.

I'm not sure about career prospects and things like that, but I can't imagine that they're too different among the three universities.

In terms of course structure, you should look for yourself and see what you like. Imo LSE optional modules seem quite interesting, but not much more so than Durham's and Bristol's.

Regardless, I think you should definitely stick to your original three choices! Good luck.

Thank you for the fast reply :”)
I think I’ll go with Durham and Bristol, just dreading the chat I’ll need to have with my parents ( they’re lawyers and haven’t really heard of Durham and Bristol but ofc have heard of LSE ) so I’m just going to get my points in order.

Original post by nyx2911
I’m applying for the 2021 entry for undergraduate law, I have about 3 weeks till I need to send my application.

I’m an international student, with A level equivalent of A*A*A* ( I’m from India, got 93%in CBSE) , have my IELTS in order (overall 8 w a min of 7 in writing) and I’ll be taking my LNAT on the 3rd of October which I’m confident about right now.

My PS is strong and well balanced too, strong EC and and co-curriculars related to law and law work experience as an intern during my gap year.

I’m confused about my choices, so far I’ve decided on Oxford, KCL and QMUL ( back up uni ).

I don’t know which 2 unis to choose out of Durham, Bristol and LSE.

I want to be in an around London but I’m not very keen on LSE but my parents are.

In terms of campus life, course structure/style and career placements how would your rank LSE, Durham and BRistol? ( I’ve heard Durham is where the elites (I’m not a part of that crowd iykwim) and Oxford rejects?¿ go but also that BRistol is a party uni)

Half the people you have tagged have sadly left TSR.

Any reason you haven't mentioned UCL?

And there's no reason not to apply to Durham if you are attracted to the Oxford vibe unless it's a bit too far north for you or the city is a bit too small

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending